• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
-10, I never go. I'm wide then. :cool:

Again, this is a specific example, using a blue ray disc THX standard movie!! Other source contents, media players may result in higher input levels to the AVR and even -15 could be trouble. In general, if you crank the volume to the point you could detect sound quality start deteriorating then back off the volume immediately.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
it heats terribly this x4700?

I won't be too bad if it is well ventilated, but in my opinion, $10-$20 investment on a little fan goes a long way. Even if not needed, it may help extend life..:)

patoulol

Forum Donor
excuse me I sometimes have difficulty understanding because I am French and I do not speak English I go through a translator to exchange with you my friends

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
excuse me I sometimes have difficulty understanding because I am French and I do not speak English I go through a translator to exchange with you my friends

I was just teasing.., but seriously, not everyone would be (some may) comfortable in telling you not to follow the manufacturer's instructions or even just recommendations.

Audioholics has some articles on this so take a read and you will know what some of those impedance selectors/settings actually do.

Connecting 4-ohm Speakers to an 8-ohm Receiver | Audioholics
Setting the A/V Receiver Impedance Selector Switch | Audioholics
Loudspeaker Impedance 4-Ohm vs 8-Ohm: Which is Better? - YouTube

amper42

Major Contributor

The Denon power guarantee is for an 8 ohm nominal impedance load. Denon did not rate the AVR for 4 ohms without using the impedance setting that limits rail voltage. We all know the 4700 can handle 4 ohms speakers while leaving the default 8 ohm setting in place - provided you don't try to overdrive it.

If the Receiver goes into protection mode - as a result of over driving the speakers get an external amp or turn it down. Most speakers on the market are 4 ohms. Many 8 ohm labeled speakers reach 4 ohm loads at some point in the FR. Revel speakers are a prime example.

Heat - The Denon 4700 runs hot when you load it up with speakers using the internal amps and run it for an extended period of time. Even if it's sitting out with open air all around it the temperature climbs. The AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7 runs quiet on the low setting and does an excellent job of keeping the unit cool. It's a great match in my opinion.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
perfect thank you peng and amper42
:D

I can not wait to have my x4700 and my external amp HPA-S500NC 2x500W 4 Ohm :cool:

That looks promising. I cannot wait for some feedback on how it performs.:)

rccarguy

rccarguy

My iphone has an application that does it you are right i have to be careful

Considering his much you spent a system just get a proper one they're about £20.

I've got a radio shack...it's a one time purchase I've had it 20 years. Useful for manual level calibration as I found auto matic one a few dB out

bigguyca

The Denon power guarantee is for an 8 ohm nominal impedance load. Denon did not rate the AVR for 4 ohms without using the impedance setting that limits rail voltage. We all know the 4700 can handle 4 ohms speakers while leaving the default 8 ohm setting in place - provided you don't try to overdrive it.

If the Receiver goes into protection mode - as a result of over driving the speakers get an external amp or turn it down. Most speakers on the market are 4 ohms. Many 8 ohm labeled speakers reach 4 ohm loads at some point in the FR. Revel speakers are a prime example.

Heat - The Denon 4700 runs hot when you load it up with speakers using the internal amps and run it for an extended period of time. Even if it's sitting out with open air all around it the temperature climbs. The AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7 runs quiet on the low setting and does an excellent job of keeping the unit cool. It's a great match in my opinion.

What are the actual temperatures at various locations on the X4700H? This is a science forum. It is trivial to measure at least the external temperatures of AVR's/AVP's.

oupee

What are the actual temperatures at various locations on the X4700H? This is a science forum. It is trivial to measure at least the external temperatures of AVR's/AVP's.
When I had a 4700, the HDMI board was the most hot, but a lot.

bigguyca

Again, this is a specific example, using a blue ray disc THX standard movie!! Other source contents, media players may result in higher input levels to the AVR and even -15 could be trouble. In general, if you crank the volume to the point you could detect sound quality start deteriorating then back off the volume immediately.

If the sources are digital, then the maximum input level is 0dBFS. 0dBFS can be hit with any source. This is a digital level, numbers not power.

When played at high levels it will normally be the speakers and the room that are causing the subjective sound deterioration. Review some of Amir's measurements of loudspeakers. Even at 96dB SPL at a meter many speakers have heavy distortion. AVR's are generally calibrated to produce 105dB SPL at the listening position from each speaker. If the system can even produce this high level, at the resultant SPL's most speakers will be highly distorted. Room faults also make themselves more obvious at higher levels.

Except at parties or other events where the focus is not audio quality, the horrible results produced by most loudspeakers at high levels will result in the the volume level being reduced ("Turn that thing down!) long before quality electronics are damaged. Damage is particularly unlikely given the extensive protection built into at least high-level Denon/Marantz gear.

Deetech

i would give it the headless panther just based on the weakass clipping at 1.4V. what normal people using this would think their cdplayer outputs more than a preamp? even some experienced audiophiles dont understand gain and just toss any amp on the outputs.
Just checked the amp I run on the front L/R, HCA100a requires 1.0 volts for THX reference level, 1.1 for full output, my old Adcom 535 requires 970mv.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If the sources are digital, then the maximum input level is 0dBFS. 0dBFS can be hit with any source. This is a digital level, numbers not power.

You don't always have to state the obvious, and complicated things outside of the specific question patoulol asked in his post:D.

(15) Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated) | Page 86 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum, in which he appeared to want to know at what volume he would be pushing the AVR-X4700H too hard. His speakers are the Paradigm Studio 100 (did not specific the version). Even if the speaker would audibly distort first, so what, he should still back off the volume anyway. The recommended amp power by Paradigm was 15-350 W, for the V2, 3 and 5. (Could not it for V1 and V4).

To me, there is no simple answer to that question because it depends on multiple unknowns. That's why I tried to use a specific example and stated assumptions.

I did appreciate it in the past when you made valid points concerning my posts. In this case you are just complicating the matter without being helpful to the person who asked the specific question. If you have a better and simple way to help Patoulol's, please respond to him directly, instead of just telling things I already know (that's fine, just not helpful).

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I cannot find any measurements for the V5, but I hope they are not as demanding as the V2 and V3 that Stereophile and Soundstage.com measured.
They don't look like 8 Ohm nominal speakers to me. Measured sensitivity was 88 dB (Anechoic). Since the V1, 2, and 3 have similar specs and measurements, it is likely that the V5 would be similar too.

SoundStage! Measurements - Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v.3 Loudspeakers (11/2003) (soundstagenetwork.com)

As always, whether you need a power amp or not depends on other factors, but I think you will be happy with the one you are getting. Just be prepared you will have to crank the volume up a few clicks to match the spl you are getting with the AVR's amps.

1620735961688.png
1620735978399.png

amper42

Major Contributor
not convinced : no big difference in power between 8500 and 4500 but big difference in price ...

The pre-amp feature of the Denon 3700, 4700 and 6700 offer a superior upgrade in flexibility. The 4500 is a relic in comparison. The 4500 offers fewer Auro-3D features, no "Pre-amp" mode and it's a significantly older design. I would much rather own a Denon 3700 or 4700.

Top Bottom