• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

amper42

Major Contributor
Ohhh, so just plugging the power amp and running the front 5 channels would not help the receiver at all?

Like @peng said, the Emo amp doesn't offer better distortion/noise specs than the internal Denon amps. It may add a bit of extra power but not a lot. The only real value of the Emo amp would be to lessen the load of 5 channels on the Denon 4700.

The Denon 4700 full pre-amp mode requires all internal amps to be turned off to produce higher SINAD. Five channels is not enough to drive a 7.2.4 configuration.

You could select to have the Fronts ONLY in pre-out mode but that still leaves all the other channels on. Read the manual on this configuration as it requires one specific amp assign mode to make it work.

All in all, I would try the Denon 4700 without external amps first with the "AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7, Quiet Dual 120mm USB Fan"
and use AUTO ECO mode. It's very possible that will work fine. If you still want external amps later maybe think strategically how many channels you want active, look up their SINAD/Specs to be sure it's an improvement and decide whether it's worth shooting for full pre-out mode.

Bottom line with Denon 4700 is if you want the max. SINAD it requires all internal amps off. But you may not need that at all. So try it alone first so you have a baseline of whether that works for you.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ohhh, so just plugging the power amp and running the front 5 channels would not help the receiver at all?

Of course it would help, my comments about it not having much more power than the avr amp are related to your apparent concern about the pre out voltage. So did I misundertand, or you are in fact concern about the pre out voltage not high enough, or something else?

John24

Of course it would help, my comments about it not having much more power than the avr amp are related to your apparent concern about the pre out voltage. So did I misundertand, or you are in fact concern about the pre out voltage not high enough, or something else?
I just was not aware that arv only had two options, all amps on or all amps off. I though it would be able to dictate which channel should be turned off and just use the PA. Now as I understand this better the pre out voltage is not an issue :)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just was not aware that arv only had two options, all amps on or all amps off. I though it would be able to dictate which channel should be turned off and just use the PA. Now as I understand this better the pre out voltage is not an issue :)

As mentioned, you do have the option to disconnect the front left and right amps. You don't have to do that because at up to 1.4 to 1.5 V, the measured SINAD of the AVR's pre out will be about the same whether the internal amps are disconnected or not.

If you have a couple of the much more powerful XPA-DR1 for the front 2 channels, and you want to push them to deliver its rated power, then you may bebefit from disconnecting the interal amps.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like @peng said, the Emo amp doesn't offer better distortion/noise specs than the internal Denon amps. It may add a bit of extra power but not a lot. The only real value of the Emo amp would be to lessen the load of 5 channels on the Denon 4700.

The Denon 4700 full pre-amp mode requires all internal amps to be turned off to produce higher SINAD. Five channels is not enough to drive a 7.2.4 configuration.

You could select to have the Fronts ONLY in pre-out mode but that still leaves all the other channels on. Read the manual on this configuration as it requires one specific amp assign mode to make it work.

All in all, I would try the Denon 4700 without external amps first with the "AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7, Quiet Dual 120mm USB Fan"
and use AUTO ECO mode. It's very possible that will work fine. If you still want external amps later maybe think strategically how many channels you want active, look up their SINAD/Specs to be sure it's an improvement and decide whether it's worth shooting for full pre-out mode.

Bottom line with Denon 4700 is if you want the max. SINAD it requires all internal amps off. But you may not need that at all. So try it alone first so you have a baseline of whether that works for you.
Doesn't turning on Auto Eco mode dramatically decrease the AVR'S power output?

John24

ECO does yes but Auto eco when you reach a certain level will switch to full power mode. It saves energy and great at lower volumes but gives you full power at higher volume when you need it.
For me once I go from -30dB to let's say -29dB I hear a click so the amp leaves the eco mode and goes to full power.

amper42

Major Contributor

"Auto ECO mode" sets ECO to "ON" below 45 on the Denon volume control when you don't need the extra power. Once the volume is turned up above 46 for 30 seconds you'll hear a click and the receiver will turn ECO to "OFF" so the internal amps have full power available. It's a fairly good power saving/heat reduction feature if some of your listening time is at lower volume levels.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Auto would work well

I would say yes and no because "auto" works on the volume position. So as others mentioned, if one has the volume at say higher than -29 then "auto" would practically be the same as "OFF" so no limit to power output but then it doesn't help in cooling.:D Conversely, if volume is at say -35, then "auto" would of course activate ECO and limit power output, though in practice, at -35 the output would be quite low anyway, though again that depends, on factors such as the signal input level, trim level setting, and the level of the peaks of the contents being play.

There is something that I am not 100% about, that is apparently the newer version (not sure that affects the 2018 model but likely the 2019 and 2020 models) would not only work on the volume setting, but also would activate ECO if the amp is on standby.

That feature would work well in some cases, such as if the unit would turn itself on (lots of complaints on that one) in the middle of the night, it would go into standby mode eventually, and this feature will help the unit to remain cool(er).

Last edited:

Propheticus

Auto would work well

There is something that I am not 100% about, that is apparently the newer version (not sure that affects the 2018 model but likely the 2019 and 2020 models) would not only work on the volume setting, but also would activate ECO if the amp is on standby.

That feature would work well in some cases, such as if the unit would turn itself on (lots of complaints on that one) in the middle of the night, it would be go into standby mode eventually, and this feature will help the unit to remain cool(er).
This is true. I can clearly hear the relay click off when I pause music playback for a while. The same click is heard when eco switches off at volume 50.
(Btw after 30mins with no input the amp switches off automatically, iirc this time is configurable)

PortableMusic

Dear All:

I have an On Screen Display issue please with my Denon 4700. I would appreciate any help from the good folks here. Thank you all in advance.

in my bedroom set up, i have a Sony OLED with the Denon 4700 as my AVR. the Verizon Fios One DVR is connected to the 4700 AVR, among other things like a Roku Ultra.

initially, we used RCA analog outputs for the Zone 2 speakers (bathroom attached to the bedroom) so i may have the tv's sound coming from the 5.1 speakers in my bedroom as well as the speakers in my attached bathroom, however, due to a delay in the sound in the bathroom speakers, the installer had the smart idea of using the HDMI soundtrack to feed Zone 2 as well as the bedroom in hopes that that would resolve the bathroom (Zone 2) sound delay issue. Well, that worked like magic. no more delays. very pleased!

issue: when i use my remote to control the volume, there is NO ON SCREEN DISPLAY OF THE VOLUME bar anymore. This is a bummer. thankfully, my universal remote has a small volume display showing the volume level whenever volume up or down is pressed. so that is sort of a Plan B.

Still, it's uncomfortable to not see a volume bar whenever one moves the volume up or down.

everything appears to be set properly.

the signal path is this: Verizon Fios One DVR outputs via HDMI to the Denon AVR, and the Denon AVR outputs to the Sony tv.

so there is definitely output from the Verizon DVR to the Denon AVR, and then from the Denon AVR to the Sony tv.

i know there is definitely output because i watch cable tv from the Verizon DVR all the time on the Sony tv! it's only that when we used the source of the SOUND from the HDMI to also output to Zone 2 (bathroom speakers), that's when the on screen volume display on the Sony tv disappeared.

any ideas of what's wrong please? thank you all in advance.

PortableMusic

Did you try a soft reset? And if that doesn't work try a factory reset.
@warnerwh: thanks for your reply.

may i ask what a soft reset is and how to do it please?

thanks.

warnerwh

A soft reset is when you just unplug the unit for ten minutes or so. This has helped me a couple of times. A factory reset is in your manual. Also it may take several tries with the factory reset according to J.D. Smoothie who is something of an expert on Denon/Marantz models over at AVS forum. Hope one of these work for you.

PortableMusic

A soft reset is when you just unplug the unit for ten minutes or so. This has helped me a couple of times. A factory reset is in your manual. Also it may take several tries with the factory reset according to J.D. Smoothie who is something of an expert on Denon/Marantz models over at AVS forum. Hope one of these work for you.
thank you @warnerwh.

may i ask when you perform the soft reset by unplugging the unit for ~10 minutes, would one need to have the unit turned on and just unplug that way, OR, may we have the unit turned OFF and merely on standby, and then we unplug it?

thank you.

Dan1210

Hey guys thinking about swapping my Denon x4700 for an Anthem avm70, currently use the Denon in full pre amp mode with a Nad M27 and a Rotel amplifier, help talk me out of it! Not sure it’s worth the $2k premium...?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey guys thinking about swapping my Denon x4700 for an Anthem avm70, currently use the Denon in full pre amp mode with a Nad M27 and a Rotel amplifier, help talk me out of it! Not sure it’s worth the $2k premium...?

Sure, If you are doing it only because you believe the AVM will "sound better", then don't bother. That's obviously just my opinion, based on specs, measurements, and available studies on how normal people's score it controlled double blind listening tests.

If there are other valid reasons, then it would be tough to talk you out of it

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, If you are doing it only because you believe the AVM will "sound better", then don't bother. That's obviously just my opinion, based on specs, measurements, and available studies on how normal people's score it controlled double blind listening tests.

If there are other valid reasons, then it would be tough to talk you out of it

Actually, measured performance with REQ/PEQ engaged and in a way to mimic human hearing is not measured.
You think you know these things nemo... :p

- Rich

Jbrunwa

Do you already have your end game speakers and subs? If not, that might give you a bigger return on investment

DrStranger

I don’t know about you guys but I really hate it when manufacturers does not write proper details of their specs, TV, AVR, etc.

According to this article Denon has support for MPEG-H on their X4700H as well:

But when checking their PDF, nada (I’m might be blind):

Do anyone know if they support this or not on the 4700?

Top Bottom