• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

Matrox

Hello, this is a truly fantastic Thread. Learned a lot about my 4700h. For using my nx3000d as external amp (driving my bassshakers) there are that questions left. (Sorry for my poor englisch):
I understand:
Output Level on pre out is 1.4 Volt.
Question 1: Is it true for all pre outs; including Sub Pre out 2?
Question 2: Is it true when using Sub pre out 1 and height 2 pre outs L/R and config 11.1. at the same Time as Sub out 2?
Question 3: how is the Output Voltage of 1.4 related to the General Volume of 0-99. My normal Hearing Level is 50-56/99
Question 4: how is the Output voltage related to the Sub 2 Level of 0 dB; -5 and +5 dB?
My nx3000d got an Input Sensitivity of 0.77 Volt.
Question: I guess the 1.4 Volt come in when knob of the nx3000 is Drive Full Range clockwise. What Happens to the Input voltage of driving the knob to lets say to 2 o clock?
wiring between x4700 and nx3000 is y-RCA Adapter on 2x XLR (guess unbalanced).

After Reading the Thread my guess is: its better going for Full Range gain knob on the nx3000 and using 0 dB Sub Trim at the x4700 Then otherwise 2 o Clock on the nx3000 and +5db Sub trim. Both Works pretty much the same for me in regards avoiding clipping and get Good enough shaking.

Thank you very much.

pedrob

This is a second review of the Denon AVR-X4700 AVR. It was kindly purchased by a member and drop shipped to me. It costs US $1,700 from Amazon including free shipping. I will explain the reason for the revision in a bit. For now, I will cut and paste some of the information from the first review for completion.

The industrial design of the Denon AVR-X4700 is similar to many other AVRs:

We have the typical back connections:
index.php

In use, the unit was robust, never shutting down in 2-channel testing. However, the right side of the unit where I think the front left and right channels exist, got very hot. It was so hot that it was uncomfortable to touch the top of the case even though it is 1 inch or more removed from the heatsink. There is a fan under them but it did not come on. I worry about long term reliability of this unit so I suggest assisted cooling if you are going to use it anywhere near full power.

For testing, I turned off the eco mode and operated the unit with just two large front right and left speakers. For some of the tests, I selected the 11 channel mode which allowed me to reassign them to "external amp" which provides better performance in that configuration. Alas, there is no way to do the same for the center channel which is a miss. In this regard, there is no improvement over the last generation AVRs.

Reason for Second Review
The original review measurements showed significant degradation of AVR's performance when measured using HDMI input as opposed to Toslink input. This was surprising to me as I had not seen much discrepancy in the past reviews (sans jitter and such). This resulted in some harsh comments from me regarding the unit and vote of non-confidence.

Subsequent to the review, Denon Engineering contacted me and shared measurements with me which did not at all show the problem I was seeing. They ran the same measurements on the Denon AVR-X3600 (last generation model) that showed similar or same performance. Their work was first class and I could not find any fault with their methodology. I think I can speak for them that they could not see or explain why I would get different results.

The one significant difference in our setup was that they used an APx585 analyzer which has built-in HDMI output and I was using my desktop workstation as video output. So we chased many paths to try to identify why we were seeing such drastically different results. Many hours were spent in this analysis followed by late night conference calls to sort through this. Right when we thought maybe the explanation is too hard to find, we had a breakthrough. I realized that in my testing I was setting the AVR for 2-channel configuration with Front right and left speakers set to Large, and all other channels configured as "None." The output path form my PC however was 8 channels (determined by Intel GPU HDMI implementation in my Intel CPU). I had turned off all channels beside left and right assuming that would simulate simple 2 channel playback. Well, turned out this was the problem!

AVRs have channel mapping to deal with configuration differences between input audio streams and playback capability. You may for example use the AVR with just two speakers for living room sound while playing 7.1 channel Blu-ray content. AVR will then use its internal mapping to mix down the high input channel count to stereo. For reasons that are unknown at this point but is being investigated by Denon engineering, when feeding only two channels to AVR but in 8 channel configuration, and the AVR is configured as just Left and Right speakers, the noise level goes up substantially and there is potential for clipping on maximum level signal. The former was responsible for lower performance across many measurements. The latter was responsible for unusually high distortion in multitone test.

Fortunately the fix was simple. I simply turned on all the speakers for 7.1 configuration while still continuing to feed the AVR the same way I was before. With all channels configured, the stereo audio data was no longer changed since no mapping was required and performance shot way up. Since vast majority of you are using AVRs with multiple channels enabled anyway, the issue that caused the problem should not be something you see.

Note that the amplifier measurements were not impacted so we did not focus on them. I will just be cutting and pasting them from the original review to this thread.

These new measurements fully supersede the data in the original review. So please do not refer to the other set anymore.

AVR DAC Measurements
The heart of the audio subsystem in an AVR or processor is conversion of digital audio samples to analog. So we always start there by tapping the "pre-out" from the back of the unit instead of using speakers (to eliminate the effect of amplifiers). Let's start with HDMI input and leaving the unit as shipped (i.e. front amps connected):

[this is the old measurement -- I did not re-run it because it is limited by the amp being on as opposed to configuration issue above]

index.php

We see the typical high harmonic distortion due to internal amplifier stressing the power supply causing the DAC to underperform. Fortunately in this amplifier we can turn them off for the fronts as mentioned and this gets us an improvement: [new measurement]

View attachment 71648

The results are far better than in the original review and now actually outperforms the Coax input:

View attachment 71647

Using the more common HDMI result gives this ranking for AVR-X4700H:
View attachment 71649

And among AVRs/processors tested so far:

View attachment 71650

We can see the much improved dynamic range using HDMI:
View attachment 71651

On the right I am showing Denon Engineering results with kind permission from them. As you see, they are getting a few dB better result. This may be due to unit to unit variation or some other factor not yet investigated. I am not worried about it though as it is in the same ballpark.

We now have better than 18 bits of dynamic range which puts my mind at ease with respect to clearing the 16 bit hurdle of CD format.

The IMD performance is also much improved since the sloping down portion of this graph is dominated by noise:

View attachment 71652

Denon Engineering had better results here but due to me not specifying the tone configuration for this test, they used a different one as noted. Regardless, we are back to the type of performance I expect to see in good AVRs.

Noise floor in J-test is now the same for both inputs which is good:

View attachment 71654

Even though I use a lot of filtering, noise can still impact linearity test. Here are the much improved results:

View attachment 71655

This is extremely good, showing accuracy to almost 20 bits!

Now we get to the key test of multitone:

View attachment 71656

Gone are the high intermodulation spikes caused by overflow condition previously. And we once again land on better than CD distortion-free range which is good.

I noted in the original review that the DAC reconstruction filter attenuation was not as high as I wanted. Fortunately there is improvement here as well as noise was hiding the true response of the filter:

View attachment 71657

Likewise the original THD+N vs frequency test showed high level of distortion+noise+spurious tones which is now much improved:

View attachment 71658

In discussions with Denon Engineering, they made a good comment that this test pulls in filter artifacts due to its wide bandwidth yet it is labeled "THD+N." So I changed the title of the test to make it more clear that it is measuring everything that is not the one frequency under test. I also made another run at 192 kHz sampling so that the spurious images due to the filter get pushed out of band. This is reflected in the graph in green. I plan to run this test this way from now on.

With the AVR-X4700 (and all of 2020 series Denon AVRs) you can only turn off the amp for the front channels, or all the channels. If you want some other configuration, then you are dealing with amplifier clipping and lowering performance depending on how much you turn up the volume. To show this I measure at different output levels to identify the best performance:

View attachment 71659

As you see, the best performance is around 1.1 volts which produces over 100 dB SINAD (dashboard uses 2 volt output so gets lower SINAD). With the amp turned on, the highest you can go is 1.4 volts before clipping occurs and performance drops precipitously. So make sure to look up the specifications for your external amplifier to see what its "sensitivity" is that generates its maximum power. If it is below 1.4 volts, then you are good.

Streaming DAC Performance
I used the Heos App to stream our 1 kHz tone. Here is the dashboard:

View attachment 71834

This is the same performance as Coax input so the hardware pipeline must be the same.

I also tested using Airplay streaming via Roon player. That produced 92 dB SINAD due to truncation to 16 bit (limitation of Airplay).

EDIT: here are the output impedance measurements and performance into 600 ohm:

index.php

It is fairly high output impedance. So don't load it down below 12 k Ohm.

When I tried it with severely low 600 ohm load, it naturally dropped a lot of output level but distortion remained good:

index.php

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[The rest of these measurements are cut and paste from the original review]
Analog Pre-amp Measurements
I always test to see if analog input works better or as good as digital in AVR as that allows me to then compare the amplifier in them to output amps. Here is that performance:

index.php

We see that performance is a couple of dBs better than Toslink indicating the ultimate limit of the analog buffer/volume control/gain stage. Not a great news but does allow us to run the amplifier tests with analog input, telling us its best case performance.

AVR Amplifier Measurements
As usual, we start with our dashboard of 1 kHz tone, 5 watts output into 4 ohm load:

index.php

his is actually above average for an amplifier:
index.php

And among AVRs:

index.php

Notice that it is sitting very close to the 3600H indicating the same design.

Frequency response is identical in all CD modes which surprised me:
index.php

Maybe it never digitizes this input? Anyway, it is good to see such wide bandwidth and dead flat response in audible band.

Crosstalk is not that great but fortunately that is not a huge audible thing:

index.php

Dynamic range is nearly as good as 3600H:

index.php

We have a bit more power than 3600H:
index.php

index.php

And into 8 ohm:
index.php

Finally testing to see frequency dependency on power and distortion+noise:
index.php

Conclusions
It goes without saying that new measurements completely changes my outlook on AVR-X4700H. It now ranks in the upper tier of home theater AVRs. Not only that, the company behind it is excellent to work with. Despite my harsh original review, they came to the table ready to work through this with no ill will. I am especially appreciative of Rainer Finck of Denon/Marantz Europe who spent many hours with me on the phone and in email to brainstorm. He was also the conduit to Denon Engineering in Japan which worked hard to chase any theory we came up with. It was also a pleasure to work with Sound United personnel in US in final resolution and planning of this update. This was one of the best experiences I have had working with a company on a review!

Anyway, I am happy to now recommend the AVR-X4700H. I will take all the eggs you want to throw at me for not doing so the last go around. :)

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.
Tremendous review.

Can anyone help me compare it with the AVR-X4300H? Is there any real benefit upgrading when the 4300 has all the features I need?

frpr

Hello
I may have the opportunity to buy an RC64 MKI that could replace my RC62.
I hesitate because I don't know if my Denon 4700 will be able to support it properly. (I have an RF63, RS52 and Atmos Klipsch set).
I don't necessarily want to add an amp that could drive the control unit to have a simple wafette use.
Many are very satisfied with this power plant, but they have an amplification at the height.
I'm very tempted but at the same time, I'm not sure that I can use it as well as possible compared to the RC62.
Thank you for your help

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good to know. That calmed my concerns a bit about matching a Hypex 502 amp, that I've not received yet with my Denon X4400h and speakers Lsim 705's of the same sensitivity 88dB as your Revel F206's. Not to derail this thread too much. Looking forward to seeing that review!

The X4400H does not have preamp mode so you can only disconnect the FL and FR channel amps but you know that already, I think.. as iirc the question has been asked and answered before. Even if you don't disconnect the internal amps, it should still be fine if 1.4 to 1.5 V is as high as you need for your use. If not, you can still expect about 75 dB SINAD (0.018%) at 2 V, still as good as the AV7705.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1) I understand they are different, but it's not uncommon for cheap(ish) power amps to have worse THD at low outputs than near max amplitude, so, as I said, I'm impressed by this figure at typical power, even though the measurement is at 1 kHz and the full-band 20-20000 Hz worst-case THD at this power of 5 W is higher. But it's still below 0.05%, I bet.

2) The review sounded like there is a preamp-only mode in which the power amps are turned off and it makes the difference between good and bad DAC performance. It also mentions that the difference in DAC noise floor measurements is due to power supply (although it didn't explicitly say the PSU is shared, I just assumed it must be to cause such a big difference).
Where did the 29 dB gain number come from? Is it more or less what it is for these AVRs?
See the review on Audioholics. They go into detail on how the distortion from the amps will negatively effect
Denon AVR internal power amplifier basics

The two power amplifier designs used in the Denon gear we've been discussing both have typical high-level architectures for Class AB power amplifiers. X8500H and X6700H have one design, X4700H and X3700H have another power amplifier design.

The designs have an input stage made up of a long-tailed pair of small signal transistors (a differential amplifier), a voltage gain stage and an output stage. The SE input is feed to one of the transistors in the long-tailed pair.

The voltage feedback loop goes from the the output back to the second transistor in the long-tailed pair. Voltage gain is set by the ratio (plus one) of two resistors, one in series with the feed back loop and the other resistor to ground. For example, 33,000 ohm series / 1200 ohm to ground = 27.5 , 27.5 + 1 = 28.5x, = 29dB. The two power amplifier designs have the same gain within .1dB.

Before the input stage their is typically a series resistor and a resistor to ground. This creates voltage divider that reduces the gain of the overall amplifier as seen by the preamp (volume control output) by about .3dB to .4dB.

The voltage gains of the two power amplifier designs are essentially the same. The rail voltages are also very close. The rail voltages are within a volt or so of +62V/-62V. This means that the maximum average output power of the various AVR's is determined by the output capabilities of the power transformers not the rail voltages with no load. AVR's such as the X8500H have bigger power transformers so the rail voltage holds up better at high outputs and thus the average output is higher.

The similarity in the the gain structure, and rail voltages of the AVR's without load, allows Denon to treat the inputs of these amplifiers as essentially the same. A little more input voltage is required for maximum average output in higher-output AVR's, but otherwise the gain structure is the same and the 1.4V low distortion preamp output will drive any of these units, within rated distortion, to rated maximum average power output and clipping. To the preamp function, the power amplifier stages in all the various AVR's appear to be essentially the same system defined by a few inputs.

Why does preamp performance worsen at 1.4V output?

The above raises questions concerning what determines why the preamp output deteriorates at 1.4V for seemingly all the preamps. It may be that the 1.4V level is a function of the gain structure set by digital processing and the analog volume control and has nothing to do with various outside forces causing added noise or distortion in the preamp outputs. 1.4V does provide maximum average power output from the various internal power amplifier channels. For best S/N it is best to provide the minimum preamp voltage output that is just high enough. As an example Monoprice has made this sort of optimization visible, IMO in a sub-optimum, and confusing way, in the HTP-1 with their voltage output setting.

It would be likely be straightforward (I don't have to do it!) to vary the gain structure for preamp outputs that are classified as preamp only, to provide "clean" output voltage levels that are higher. The clean output levels seen for preamp-only outputs are more in line with the actual maximum capabilities of the hardware. This higher clean maximum output capability would wasted, and would likely provide worse S/N performance, if only internal power amplifier channels were driven.
Why shouldn't we trust Gene of Audioholics?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, this is a truly fantastic Thread. Learned a lot about my 4700h. For using my nx3000d as external amp (driving my bassshakers) there are that questions left. (Sorry for my poor englisch):
I understand:
Question 2: Is it true when using Sub pre out 1 and height 2 pre outs L/R and config 11.1. at the same Time as Sub out 2?
Question 3: how is the Output Voltage of 1.4 related to the General Volume of 0-99. My normal Hearing Level is 50-56/99
Question 4: how is the Output voltage related to the Sub 2 Level of 0 dB; -5 and +5 dB?
Question: I guess the 1.4 Volt come in when knob of the nx3000 is Drive Full Range clockwise. What Happens to the Input voltage of driving the knob to lets say to 2 o clock?

After Reading the Thread my guess is: its better going for Full Range gain knob on the nx3000 and using 0 dB Sub Trim at the x4700 Then otherwise 2 o Clock on the nx3000 and +5db Sub trim. Both Works pretty much the same for me in regards avoiding clipping and get Good enough shaking.

Thank you very much.
I understand:

Thank you very much.

- Output of pre out can go much higher than 1.4 V, it could be as high as 4 V but at higher distortion + Noise. 1.4 V is just the point where THD+N would remain very low at about 0.001% even without using the preamp mode.

- It is not possible to tell you what the Pre out voltage at a certain volume position would be, because it depends on the input voltage level as well, not just the volume setting. However, you can get a good idea using Amir's measurements (that I believe are normally based on using 0 dBFS input but I not 100% sure); and do some calculations to estimate what it would be for different input voltages. Or you can make some measurement yourself. I did that a couple weeks ago but didn't record the results but will do it again time permitting.

kevin1969

I just got the 4700 yesterday and all I can say is wow. It easily beats my 5 year old NAD758. I'm not sure why NAD is abandoning products at this price point. 5 years ago they owned it.

AllCourtGuy

Hello Anterantz. I have not tested the 8500 so don't know. For the Denon products I have tested, you should not use HDMI in 2 channel mode, and play 2.1. You get a lot more noise that way. You can use S/PDIF or Toslink to avoid this. Or if you know how, by forcing your source device to operate in 2-channel mode in HDMI.

@amirm , I want to make sure I understand the work around for this issue. If I use S/PDIF audio connections from my DVD player to the 3700H, and if the audio is compressed 5.1 or compressed 7.1 format will it successfully downmix to a 3.1 configuration without the excess noise issue that you had with an HDMI connection? Is that correct?

i need to know before I purchase my center and sub woofer.
Thanks for your help!

kevin1969

Playing files off a USB memory stick should not be termed Streaming.

Reminds me of The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again.

Actually streaming shouldn't be called streaming because it's literally just downloading a music file and playing it.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually streaming shouldn't be called streaming because it's literally just downloading a music file and playing it.
Isn't it literally streaming from the router to my device in real time, minus the buffer?

kevin1969

Isn't it literally streaming from the router to my device in real time, minus the buffer?

Nope. It's literally no different then opening up a web page on the internet. Web pages are just files and content that servers respond with.

There was a push years ago to get actual multicast running on the internet but it never gained much traction which is why we have things like akamai now and content delivery server networks all over the place

kevin1969

I just received my AVR4700h. I spent my saturday to set-up my new system built around this AVR. It is ocmposed of a Denon 4700h in full preamp mode + a combo of March Audio power amps. A stereo and a mono purifi amp for the front stage and 2 hypex amps (P252 and P122) for the surrounds and the zone 2 (outdoor patio). They power 3 Dali Rubicon LCR (L/C/R) and in ceiling speakers from Dlai (surrounds) and monitor audio (patio). A REL T9i subwoofer completes the system to allow 2.1 or 5.1.
I still have some fine tuning to do especially for movies but it already sounds great both for music and movies. Of note, after 5 hours of intensive use, the Denon was just warm. I did not observe any overheating.
Overall, I am very happy with this set-up!

Did you notice that you had to re-tune your sub after you got the 4700?

I just got it yesterday to replace a 5-year-old NAD and on Zone 2 where my REL TZero sub is with a pair of Klipsch RP-500m bookshelves and I was shocked at how much more bass was coming out of the music. I still need to finish retuning the sub.

kevin1969

you can save all the settings to a Quick Select button, which you then have to remember to press after selecting your input.

So I'm just trying to clarify what you're saying here.

The quick select button would have to be assigned with the exact same input as you already changed to correct?

Unless there is a way to not assign any input to a quick select button.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope. It's literally no different then opening up a web page on the internet. Web pages are just files and content that servers respond with.

There was a push years ago to get actual multicast running on the internet but it never gained much traction which is why we have things like akamai now and content delivery server networks all over the place
I suppose you and I have different meaning for streaming. What would constitute real streaming? The artist playing live and you listening to it over the net? Of course it is a file on a server somewhere. We all know that, don't we?

amper42

Major Contributor
So I'm just trying to clarify what you're saying here.

The quick select button would have to be assigned with the exact same input as you already changed to correct?

Unless there is a way to not assign any input to a quick select button.

QUICK SELECT buttons
With a single press of any of these buttons, you can call up various settings you’ve registered to each button such as the input source, volume level and sound mode settings. (See Denon 4700 manual p. 161)

I use these buttons to setup Auto-3D, Stereo, Multi-channel and Pure Direct Mode listening with all of the volumes set to match. This way I can change between any of the four sound modes with volumes that are instantly the same. They work well for this function as they line up four across just like the sound mode buttons on the lower portion of the Denon 4700 remote.

If you don't want to use Quick Select, simply select any other button on the remote. I find it's nice to have these presets available. You will may find a use for them as well.

kevin1969

QUICK SELECT buttons
With a single press of any of these buttons, you can call up various settings you’ve registered to each button such as the input source, volume level and sound mode settings. (See Denon 4700 manual p. 161)

I use these buttons to setup Auto-3D, Stereo, Multi-channel and Pure Direct Mode listening with all of the volumes set to match. This way I can change between any of the four sound modes with volumes that are instantly the same. They work well for this function as they line up four across just like the sound mode buttons on the lower portion of the Denon 4700 remote.

If you don't want to use Quick Select, simply select any other button on the remote. I find it's nice to have these presets available. You will may find a use for them as well.

Ah ok. My NAD was like this as well but the instructions never clearly explained that each preset saved EVERY setting that's configured at that moment. Also nice that you can just hold the quick select button down to assign it

ririt

Did you notice that you had to re-tune your sub after you got the 4700?

I just got it yesterday to replace a 5-year-old NAD and on Zone 2 where my REL TZero sub is with a pair of Klipsch RP-500m bookshelves and I was shocked at how much more bass was coming out of the music. I still need to finish retuning the sub.
I cannot tell you because this is my first HC set-up...

kevin1969

I suppose you and I have different meaning for streaming. What would constitute real streaming? The artist playing live and you listening to it over the net? Of course it is a file on a server somewhere. We all know that, don't we?

There is just a common misconception that streaming music is performed by pushing the data towards your streaming device and if there is noise in the path those bits can be lost forever and the music will sound degraded. In reality your streamer simply copies a music file off a remote server somewhere and the underlying network protocols handle any loss issues and re-request the missing data.

Alexium

There is just a common misconception that streaming music is performed by pushing the data towards your streaming device and if there is noise in the path those bits can be lost forever and the music will sound degraded. In reality your streamer simply copies a music file off a remote server somewhere and the underlying network protocols handle any loss issues and re-request the missing data.
I'm pretty sure streaming services download a chunk of the file, not the whole file at once, that would be inefficient. Say, 10-30 seconds. While it's playing, the next chunk is downloaded, and so on. There's no problem with network reliability here because even 10 seconds is plenty time to do multiple attempts at downloading the next 10-second chunk which is a really small amount of bytes. I cannot say that I know for a fact that services X and Y work in this way, but it's so obviously a superior approach to downloading the whole file at once that I'll be shocked if any major streaming service works differently. In this sense, I think, calling it streaming is true to life.

kevin1969

I'm pretty sure streaming services download a chunk of the file, not the whole file at once, that would be inefficient. Say, 10-30 seconds. While it's playing, the next chunk is downloaded, and so on. There's no problem with network reliability here because even 10 seconds is plenty time to do multiple attempts at downloading the next 10-second chunk which is a really small amount of bytes. I cannot say that I know for a fact that services X and Y work in this way, but it's so obviously a superior approach to downloading the whole file at once that I'll be shocked if any major streaming service works differently. In this sense, I think, calling it streaming is true to life.

That's exactly how it works. I guess it would depend on how much buffer space the streamer has but yep as long as your buffer is big enough to handle error recovery and re transmission of data before the buffer runs out then easy peasy pudding pie.

Top Bottom