• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the response. Could you let me know the reason for your opinion on the following "I don't think such speakers are suitable for you if you listen loud and "continuously", unless you sit close to them."

You seem to be asking if you need more power output than you 4700 because the UF5 is difficult to drive. If I am wrong then sorry you can ignore my comments.

If I understood right, then as you know Elac's spec say "Max Power input 140 Watts, 4 ohms.

The 4700's 4 ohm output, two channel driven, was measured to be about 173 W at 0.005%, and 280 W at 1% dynamic output. So yes you can add a 300 W power amp to boost the output, but the UF5 is limited in terms of the "Max Power input" of 140 W anyway.

Look at it another way, the louder you listen to, the more power you are going to need right? So no matter how difficult to drive your speaker is, your power need is proportional to the SPL you desire, from you listening position. Sometimes people use the "difficult to drive" as an excuse, for example, if you tell your dealer the speakers don't sound good, they can tell you because your AVR cannot give the speakers the juice they need, and would try to sell you an amp or something. Then know how Placebo effect works, so if you do get a power amp, you may suddenly hear night and day kind of difference. It may sound hard to believe, but it happened, been there done that too..:(

If you enter the sensitivity and max power numbers into the spl calculator I linked, you will see that the UF5, when fed with the "Max" 140 W, sitting from 10 ft, you will get about 96 dB, that's 9 dB below reference. Reference level is loud, as loud as what you will hear in a good movie cinema watching a movies like the Star Wars. 96 dB "Max" peak, or nominal 76 dB isn't considered loud by a lot of people, though to some people, like me, it is still loud.

Now if you sit closer, the speaker will obviously sound louder. Anyway I hope it is clear, about my reasons.

In general (there are always exceptions I suppose..), speakers that are designed to play loud would have higher sensitivity and power handling specs. For example, Klipsch RF8000F: Sensitivity 98 [email protected]/1m, power handling 150/600 W (cont/peak)

compared tha to the UF5:

https://elac-content.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2015/12/Uni-Fi-Manual-English-and-French.pdf

1598447526650.png

Attachments

• 1598449235351.png
    1598449235351.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 88

killkaj

Hello

I've just got a Denon x4700 home and its sounds great so far.

I have a hard time understanding All the technical terms and words used in this thread (i'm noob). So it will be nice to know for sure, what it all means (i have 30 Days with the AVR to decide if its the right one for me)

Okay, here er go:

The AVR is only for movies and games. Off course maybe some "not serious" music listening through YouTube or something.

I have a Michi S5 and P5 for serious music listening + it will be used for pre out the 2 fronts (Jamo r909) on the x4700

For movies my volume is between -9 and -15. Maybe higher in the near future because of bigger listening room.

There had been alot of writing about clipping and Distortion and something about 1.4v etc.

Do the Michi S5 and P5 Work fine with the Denon? On what volume Will it All starts to Clip and distort?

SanDesh

This is a second review of the Denon AVR-X4700 AVR. It was kindly purchased by a member and drop shipped to me. It costs US $1,700 from Amazon including free shipping. I will explain the reason for the revision in a bit. For now, I will cut and paste some of the information from the first review for completion.

The industrial design of the Denon AVR-X4700 is similar to many other AVRs:

We have the typical back connections:
index.php

In use, the unit was robust, never shutting down in 2-channel testing. However, the right side of the unit where I think the front left and right channels exist, got very hot. It was so hot that it was uncomfortable to touch the top of the case even though it is 1 inch or more removed from the heatsink. There is a fan under them but it did not come on. I worry about long term reliability of this unit so I suggest assisted cooling if you are going to use it anywhere near full power.

For testing, I turned off the eco mode and operated the unit with just two large front right and left speakers. For some of the tests, I selected the 11 channel mode which allowed me to reassign them to "external amp" which provides better performance in that configuration. Alas, there is no way to do the same for the center channel which is a miss. In this regard, there is no improvement over the last generation AVRs.

Reason for Second Review
The original review measurements showed significant degradation of AVR's performance when measured using HDMI input as opposed to Toslink input. This was surprising to me as I had not seen much discrepancy in the past reviews (sans jitter and such). This resulted in some harsh comments from me regarding the unit and vote of non-confidence.

Subsequent to the review, Denon Engineering contacted me and shared measurements with me which did not at all show the problem I was seeing. They ran the same measurements on the Denon AVR-X3600 (last generation model) that showed similar or same performance. Their work was first class and I could not find any fault with their methodology. I think I can speak for them that they could not see or explain why I would get different results.

The one significant difference in our setup was that they used an APx585 analyzer which has built-in HDMI output and I was using my desktop workstation as video output. So we chased many paths to try to identify why we were seeing such drastically different results. Many hours were spent in this analysis followed by late night conference calls to sort through this. Right when we thought maybe the explanation is too hard to find, we had a breakthrough. I realized that in my testing I was setting the AVR for 2-channel configuration with Front right and left speakers set to Large, and all other channels configured as "None." The output path form my PC however was 8 channels (determined by Intel GPU HDMI implementation in my Intel CPU). I had turned off all channels beside left and right assuming that would simulate simple 2 channel playback. Well, turned out this was the problem!

AVRs have channel mapping to deal with configuration differences between input audio streams and playback capability. You may for example use the AVR with just two speakers for living room sound while playing 7.1 channel Blu-ray content. AVR will then use its internal mapping to mix down the high input channel count to stereo. For reasons that are unknown at this point but is being investigated by Denon engineering, when feeding only two channels to AVR but in 8 channel configuration, and the AVR is configured as just Left and Right speakers, the noise level goes up substantially and there is potential for clipping on maximum level signal. The former was responsible for lower performance across many measurements. The latter was responsible for unusually high distortion in multitone test.

Fortunately the fix was simple. I simply turned on all the speakers for 7.1 configuration while still continuing to feed the AVR the same way I was before. With all channels configured, the stereo audio data was no longer changed since no mapping was required and performance shot way up. Since vast majority of you are using AVRs with multiple channels enabled anyway, the issue that caused the problem should not be something you see.

Note that the amplifier measurements were not impacted so we did not focus on them. I will just be cutting and pasting them from the original review to this thread.

These new measurements fully supersede the data in the original review. So please do not refer to the other set anymore.

AVR DAC Measurements
The heart of the audio subsystem in an AVR or processor is conversion of digital audio samples to analog. So we always start there by tapping the "pre-out" from the back of the unit instead of using speakers (to eliminate the effect of amplifiers). Let's start with HDMI input and leaving the unit as shipped (i.e. front amps connected):

[this is the old measurement -- I did not re-run it because it is limited by the amp being on as opposed to configuration issue above]

index.php

We see the typical high harmonic distortion due to internal amplifier stressing the power supply causing the DAC to underperform. Fortunately in this amplifier we can turn them off for the fronts as mentioned and this gets us an improvement: [new measurement]

View attachment 71648

The results are far better than in the original review and now actually outperforms the Coax input:

View attachment 71647

Using the more common HDMI result gives this ranking for AVR-X4700H:
View attachment 71649

And among AVRs/processors tested so far:

View attachment 71650

We can see the much improved dynamic range using HDMI:
View attachment 71651

On the right I am showing Denon Engineering results with kind permission from them. As you see, they are getting a few dB better result. This may be due to unit to unit variation or some other factor not yet investigated. I am not worried about it though as it is in the same ballpark.

We now have better than 18 bits of dynamic range which puts my mind at ease with respect to clearing the 16 bit hurdle of CD format.

The IMD performance is also much improved since the sloping down portion of this graph is dominated by noise:

View attachment 71652

Denon Engineering had better results here but due to me not specifying the tone configuration for this test, they used a different one as noted. Regardless, we are back to the type of performance I expect to see in good AVRs.

Noise floor in J-test is now the same for both inputs which is good:

View attachment 71654

Even though I use a lot of filtering, noise can still impact linearity test. Here are the much improved results:

View attachment 71655

This is extremely good, showing accuracy to almost 20 bits!

Now we get to the key test of multitone:

View attachment 71656

Gone are the high intermodulation spikes caused by overflow condition previously. And we once again land on better than CD distortion-free range which is good.

I noted in the original review that the DAC reconstruction filter attenuation was not as high as I wanted. Fortunately there is improvement here as well as noise was hiding the true response of the filter:

View attachment 71657

Likewise the original THD+N vs frequency test showed high level of distortion+noise+spurious tones which is now much improved:

View attachment 71658

In discussions with Denon Engineering, they made a good comment that this test pulls in filter artifacts due to its wide bandwidth yet it is labeled "THD+N." So I changed the title of the test to make it more clear that it is measuring everything that is not the one frequency under test. I also made another run at 192 kHz sampling so that the spurious images due to the filter get pushed out of band. This is reflected in the graph in green. I plan to run this test this way from now on.

With the AVR-X4700 (and all of 2020 series Denon AVRs) you can only turn off the amp for the front channels, or all the channels. If you want some other configuration, then you are dealing with amplifier clipping and lowering performance depending on how much you turn up the volume. To show this I measure at different output levels to identify the best performance:

View attachment 71659

As you see, the best performance is around 1.1 volts which produces over 100 dB SINAD (dashboard uses 2 volt output so gets lower SINAD). With the amp turned on, the highest you can go is 1.4 volts before clipping occurs and performance drops precipitously. So make sure to look up the specifications for your external amplifier to see what its "sensitivity" is that generates its maximum power. If it is below 1.4 volts, then you are good.

Streaming DAC Performance
I used the Heos App to stream our 1 kHz tone. Here is the dashboard:

View attachment 71834

This is the same performance as Coax input so the hardware pipeline must be the same.

I also tested using Airplay streaming via Roon player. That produced 92 dB SINAD due to truncation to 16 bit (limitation of Airplay).

EDIT: here are the output impedance measurements and performance into 600 ohm:

index.php

It is fairly high output impedance. So don't load it down below 12 k Ohm.

When I tried it with severely low 600 ohm load, it naturally dropped a lot of output level but distortion remained good:

index.php

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[The rest of these measurements are cut and paste from the original review]
Analog Pre-amp Measurements
I always test to see if analog input works better or as good as digital in AVR as that allows me to then compare the amplifier in them to output amps. Here is that performance:

index.php

We see that performance is a couple of dBs better than Toslink indicating the ultimate limit of the analog buffer/volume control/gain stage. Not a great news but does allow us to run the amplifier tests with analog input, telling us its best case performance.

AVR Amplifier Measurements
As usual, we start with our dashboard of 1 kHz tone, 5 watts output into 4 ohm load:

index.php

his is actually above average for an amplifier:
index.php

And among AVRs:

index.php

Notice that it is sitting very close to the 3600H indicating the same design.

Frequency response is identical in all CD modes which surprised me:
index.php

Maybe it never digitizes this input? Anyway, it is good to see such wide bandwidth and dead flat response in audible band.

Crosstalk is not that great but fortunately that is not a huge audible thing:

index.php

Dynamic range is nearly as good as 3600H:

index.php

We have a bit more power than 3600H:
index.php

index.php

And into 8 ohm:
index.php

Finally testing to see frequency dependency on power and distortion+noise:
index.php

Conclusions
It goes without saying that new measurements completely changes my outlook on AVR-X4700H. It now ranks in the upper tier of home theater AVRs. Not only that, the company behind it is excellent to work with. Despite my harsh original review, they came to the table ready to work through this with no ill will. I am especially appreciative of Rainer Finck of Denon/Marantz Europe who spent many hours with me on the phone and in email to brainstorm. He was also the conduit to Denon Engineering in Japan which worked hard to chase any theory we came up with. It was also a pleasure to work with Sound United personnel in US in final resolution and planning of this update. This was one of the best experiences I have had working with a company on a review!

Anyway, I am happy to now recommend the AVR-X4700H. I will take all the eggs you want to throw at me for not doing so the last go around. :)

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.
Hi,
I am a new bee to this site and must say this is very useful. Thank you! Also, looked at your recommendation Tableau chart and found that only two AV Receivers have Yes value. Is it true? It cant be the case that you have recommeded only two so far. Is the data up to date?

frpr

Good morning all I gave it a go and ordered and already received the Denon 4700. I will do a report but for the moment I am in the settings.
I have 2 problems:
1) When I turn on my amplifier, the sound is at 0. I had to activate an option but I cannot find this parameter.

2) More annoying, I no longer have an image with my video projector (benq 1070). According to my research this probably comes from the hdcp2.2 standard because my Benq is not in 4k. I will try to take it off the ceiling to try with high speed hdmi cables and if not I do not see how? I would need to be able to set the Denon's "monitor 2" output to hdcp 1.4 but I can't find this option. You can change the hdcp standard only for inputs ‘nvidi, oppo, ..)
Has anyone had this problem. thank you

dwalme

For #1 this is a bug that will be fixed in a future firmware update.

Set the power on volume to Last for now.

DrewMcG

Forum Donor
frpr: I don't have a projector, but my guess is you need to go to Setup*Video*Output* and change setting from "enhanced" to "standard." There is a menu item to adjust HDCP settings, but its for inputs, not outputs. Good luck.

frpr

frpr: I don't have a projector, but my guess is you need to go to Setup*Video*Output* and change setting from "enhanced" to "standard." There is a menu item to adjust HDCP settings, but its for inputs, not outputs. Good luck.

Indeed we can change the HDCP standard but only for inputs and in addition all broadcasters would be in 1080p and I have a 4k TV.
For my 1080p video projector, I read testimonials from people who used a splitter to "break" HDCP 2.2 like this one for example
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07DW2445X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3QDNQS5TGDYWI&psc=1
I'll keep looking to make sure I get the correct one.
If anyone has any experience, I'm interested.

thank you

Akary

Can you tell me up to how many tb reads a hdd on the usb socket I looked for in the instructions but I did not find.
There is also a rear USB socket, they could also put it, to use the front one you have to leave the door open with the cable attavccato and it is not nice to see.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi,
I am a new bee to this site and must say this is very useful. Thank you! Also, looked at your recommendation Tableau chart and found that only two AV Receivers have Yes value. Is it true? It cant be the case that you have recommeded only two so far. Is the data up to date?
Thanks. No, the table is not up to date. Volunteer editors are behind in updating it. :) Essentially all the new Denon AVRs are recommended including 3700H, 4700H, 6700H and 8500H.

DrewMcG

Forum Donor
Indeed we can change the HDCP standard but only for inputs and in addition all broadcasters would be in 1080p and I have a 4k TV.
For my 1080p video projector, I read testimonials from people who used a splitter to "break" HDCP 2.2 like this one for example
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07DW2445X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3QDNQS5TGDYWI&psc=1
I'll keep looking to make sure I get the correct one.
If anyone has any experience, I'm interested.

thank you
So we agree that the menu option to set HDCP level for inputs is irrelevant to your OP. Did you try my suggestion?

GlennS

Just bought one for lowest price I could find (and in stock):

$1599.99
Free shipping & no tax.
New Age Electronics.
https://www.new-age-electronics-corp.net/

This will be replacing my out of date Onkyo TX-SR706. Planning on running the X4700H with all internal amps disconnected. For external amps I will use an ATI AT1506 for most channels and might use the old Onkyo 706's amps for Atmos overhead speakers.

Can anyone think of a reason not to use my Onkyo 706 as an external amplifier, technically it probably wouldn't measure as well as a true dedicated external amp but would it be noticeably bad?

DrewMcG

Forum Donor

$1599.99
Free shipping & no tax.
New Age Electronics.

This will be replacing my out of date Onkyo TX-SR706. Planning on running the X4700H with all internal amps disconnected. For external amps I will use an ATI AT1506 for most channels and might use the old Onkyo 706's amps for Atmos overhead speakers.

Can anyone think of a reason not to use my Onkyo 706 as an external amplifier, technically it probably wouldn't measure as well as a true dedicated external amp but would it be noticeably bad?
The ATI has six channels, right? So, front L/R, Center, Surround L/R (5 total), plus ?. Not clear to me that you can use the Onkyo to power more than two channels. So as long as you are not going for either 7 floor level speakers or more than two Atmos (ceiling or Atmos-enabled), it might work (though I'm not sure about the trigger).

But why not just use the X4700H's internal amps for up to four or six (?) Atmos/Atmos-enabled speakers? These are not big power draws. And you could set up a separate "profile" to turn off those amps if you were listening to stereo with the ATI and worried about some marginal sound degradation (which I have not noticed in my 5.1.4 setup using just the internal amps). Good luck!

GlennS

The ATI has six channels, right? So, front L/R, Center, Surround L/R (5 total), plus ?.
May be running a 7.2.4 speaker set up. I was thinking the ATI could power the five main speakers (the FrontLeft, Center, FrontRight, SideLeft, and SideRight). Then the older Onkyo could power the rest of the surround speakers (the RearLeft, RearRight, TopFrontLeft, TopFrontRight, TopRearLeft, and TopRearRight).
As a trigger I already use smart plugs for my separate amps, so I would probably set up another smart plug if I use the Onkyo as a separate amp. The smart plugs are set up with my Logitech controller and my Amazon Alexa devices.

But why not just use the X4700H's internal amps...
Disconnecting all of the X4700's internal amps could possibly lower heat and lower distortion. Would the distortion from the X4700's internal amps be noticeable? I don't know, but if I have the external amps, why not use those instead? I'm sure I will play around with the set up and may end up using the X4700's internal amps if it's not too hot and distortion isn't noticeable, that would be much easier than using the Onkyo amps.

And you could set up a separate "profile" to turn off those amps if you were listening to stereo with the ATI...
Most of my 2.0 stereo listening is done using my PC as the source. Even though the music source is recorded as 2.0 stereo, my PC sends that signal as multichannel. So I will not set up my AVR as STEREO which would downmix the PC multichannel signal, which in turn may cause more distortion as shown in the original testing.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

$1599.99
Free shipping & no tax.
New Age Electronics.

I tried looking up your amp specs and I think I read that it only takes 1V to fully drive it. Is that correct? Or in the specs does it list the gain? If it only takes 1V, then there is no need to not use the internal amps for your other channels. They don’t begin to degrade performance until 1.4. In addition the internal amps in the Denon are pretty good.

Zodin

Hey all, firstly thanks for the in depth testing OP.
I am trying to toss up between this and the Marantz PM7000N to couple with my B&W 606 Anniversary edition.
I have already paid for everything just waiting until the speakers are released and then it will all be shipped at once.

I initially just wanted the Marantz to listen to tidal etc. with stereo listening.
However, I really wanted to add more speakers and build a system to watch movies with.
Therefore I was thinking of buying the Denon instead, which I will listen to my speakers in purely stereo for the first few months until I buy an additional pair of the 606 S2, plus a SVS PB2000 Pro and a centre channel for 5.1 sound. Well down the track I would add two ceiling speakers for Atmos.

I am a bit weary on the stereo listening on these speakers given some things I read in this thread.

do you guys thing going the Denon route will be fine for now given it will mainly be stereo music for a bit? Will this have similar quality to the Marantz and does this Denon support the same quality audio formats when listening to tidal using Helios?

thanks

GlennS

I tried looking up your amp specs
ATI AT1506
Input Sensitivity: 1.0 volts for full rated power.
Input Impedance: Nominally 28k ohms.
Gain: Voltage gain of 28dB.

If it only takes 1V, then there is no need to not use the internal amps for your other channels. They don’t begin to degrade performance until 1.4.
I guess I didn't understand the testing.
I thought using the X4700's internal amps degraded audio whether using an external amp or not. And I thought if using an external amp (with all X4700 internal amps disconnected), then the external amp had to have input sensitivity below 1.4 volts otherwise the external amp would cause degraded audio.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ATI AT1506

I guess I didn't understand the testing.
I thought using the X4700's internal amps degraded audio whether using an external amp or not. And I thought if using an external amp (with all X4700 internal amps disconnected), then the external amp had to have input sensitivity below 1.4 volts otherwise the external amp would cause degraded audio.
From my understanding...
-Internal amps are good up to 1.4V
-If using an external amp that requires less than 1.4V you are also good while using some of the internal amps as well. No need to run in full preamp mode
-If your external amp requires more than 1.4V you would need to run it in full preamp mode.
In your case, from my understanding you are in good shape as your external amp only requires 1V. You can use a mix of your external and internal amps and it won’t degrade performance as you will be under 1.4v.
Here is a quote from Amir that is in this review that summarizes it perfectly:
“As you see, the best performance is around 1.1 volts which produces over 100 dB SINAD (dashboard uses 2 volt output so gets lower SINAD). With the amp turned on, the highest you can go is 1.4 volts before clipping occurs and performance drops precipitously. So make sure to look up the specifications for your external amplifier to see what its "sensitivity" is that generates its maximum power. If it is below 1.4 volts, then you are good.”

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ATI AT1506

As Dj7675 said, with that amp you have nothing to worry about anyway because it only need 1 V for full rated power.
FYI, I did Google the AT1506 and found some seemingly confusing specs such as the claimed 150 W, 8 ohms. Based on the input sensitivity specs you posted, that would't support the claimed 150 W into 8 ohm output rating unless it was some sort of dynamic output, or at very high distortion level.

The specs posted on the site linked below would seem more believable, not sure about his source, and it is hard to believe the amp would be rated only 60 WPC. I couldn't find the owner's manual of spec sheet from ATI's own website, unfortunately.

http://marcs.members.sonic.net/analogexpert.com/ati/6012.htm

1 V, 28 dB gain should result in about 79 W into 8 ohms at the most. So either the 1 V, 28 dB insensitivity/gain specs are wrong, or the rated output specs are incorrect. For example, if the gain of 28 dB, and the 150 W rated output specs are correct, then the input sensitivity should be about 1.38 V, not 1 V.

If the "input sensitiviy: 1.0 V for full rated power" is correct, then the amp is only rated 60-80 W depending on the specified THD levels, and in that case if you have the AVR-X4700H, you will be better off using the AT1506 for the surround channels and let the AVR drive the LCR channels. Do you have the original ATI specs sheet and/or owner's manual? I am really curious about the true specs of that amp.

Last edited:

GlennS

The specs posted on the site linked below would seem more believable, not sure about his source. I couldn't find the owner's manual of spec sheet from ATI's own website, unfortunately.
...then if you have the AVR-X4700H, you will be better off using the AT1506 for the surround channels and let the AVR drive the LCR channels.
I have the info from that link, that is where I got the Input Sensitivity from. I have the original ATI owner's manual and it doesn't say what the Input Sensitivity is.
Currently, with the Onkyo AVR, I am using the ATI amp bridged for the front three speakers and using the Onkyo amps for the surrounds.
Maybe I should do the same with the new X4700. Use the ATI amp bridged for the front three speakers and use the X4700 amps for the surrounds (that way I could turn off the front L & R amps in the X4700).

GlennS

FYI, I did Google the AT1506 and found some seemingly confusing specs such as the claimed 150 W, 8 ohms.
Do you have the original ATI specs sheet and/or owner's manual? I am really curious about the true specs of that amp.
In other words, I need to send this in to get tested (it's only 88lbs, according to the manual).

As mentioned earlier, I do have the manual that came with the unit. Maybe I could scan and attach it to a post.
It states
POWER RATINGS PER CHANNEL FTC REQUIREMENTS (ALL CHANNELS OPERATING SIMULTANEOUSLY): 150W@8ohms, 225W@4ohms, 450W BRIDGED@ 8ohms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom