• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 83 18.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 206 47.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 26.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 31 7.1%

• Total voters

lewdish

Here are some pics of the internal hardware of the current (X_800H) and previous gen (X_700H) lineup so far. X3700 apparently doesnt label its internals.
Though it does look like the X3800H & X4800H internals no longer have the fancy "High Current Power Transformer" badging. X4800H also looks like they changed the amp layout to be similar to the X6700H with different independent modules per channel. No pics of the 6800H internals at this time. Looks like they improved cooling across the entire lineup though.

denon-avr-x2700h-6.jpg

x2700H^​
g033AVX2800-o_other20.jpg

x2800H^​
avr-x3700h-1j_19102020.jpg

x3700H^​
X3800.thumb.jpg.8d5315c4ffacf14b77f06cee22cd52c1.jpg

X4700.thumb.jpg.6a183c8adc1e0e752fc0b7cb6c8ec0d7.jpg

X4800.thumb.jpg.998877715cba1fdf1002adac1660481d.jpg
X6700.thumb.jpg.e3eb75351033016824f0318ab7a939a3.jpg

Last edited:

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Exactly my thinking. I would give Audyssey a go on my four subs, and if it does not cut it put miniDSP/MSO back in place. I can't wait to start setting up my new room!
You might be able to use MSO without a miniDSP. Audyssey MQX can import EQs and you can adjust delays

GalZohar

You might be able to use MSO without a miniDSP. Audyssey MQX can import EQs and you can adjust delays

Probably not, as Audyssey doesn't allow individual EQ per subwoofer.

I think you can't even set the delays manually before the measurements of all the subwoofers as a single subwoofer is done (correct me if I'm wrong please), so changing the independent delays post-measurement will likely cause more harm than good (unless you use full manual EQ).

FrankieD

Has anyone confirmed that Denon/Marantz fixed the speaker distance to delay time issue on these new models so we no longer have to multiply speaker distances by 0.875?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone confirmed that Denon/Marantz fixed the speaker distance to delay time issue on these new models so we no longer have to multiply speaker distances by 0.875?
I have not read anything about that but you can ask Marantz support and should be able get an answer. It should be an easy fix but they may not bother because the may think it is an non issue.

tjcinnamon

Probably not, as Audyssey doesn't allow individual EQ per subwoofer.

I think you can't even set the delays manually before the measurements of all the subwoofers as a single subwoofer is done (correct me if I'm wrong please), so changing the independent delays post-measurement will likely cause more harm than good (unless you use full manual EQ).
Good point. I retract my statement. I use a miniDSP to sum a single out and basically apply no audyssey processing on it. Although, I wonder with the Multi-Sub Out on the Denon AH1 and Marantz AV10, that would allow it?

GalZohar

Calibration for 4 subwoofers doesn't mean individual calibration of each subwoofer, as that's not how Audyssey works (although I understand it might still be doing that in directional mode, which yes, is stupid). Audyssey sets levels and delays separately for each subwoofer based on its timing measurements, then corrects all subwoofers playing as one, with identical filters to all subwoofers (the latter part being the most important of multi-sub calibration). Individual EQ for each subwoofer is pointless, because you don't hear them playing individually (unless in directional mode).

The filters MSO generates for each separate subwoofer (which cannot be applied with Audyssey) are not based on traditional correction methods that Audyssey uses, but rather an algorithm that tries to predict how each individual subwoofer filter would affect the combined response of all subwoofers at every seat. I'm estimating DLBC and Lyngdorf do something similar in principal to MSO, plus maybe some more (as they can apply filters also to main speakers and optimize speaker-subwoofer integration for each speaker).

GalZohar

Will be interesting if all the keyboard speculation and quick judgements, without any actual hands on knowledge, pan out. I'll stick with the facts as they unveil themselves, such as Audyssey having individual curves for each sub etc.
There were already posts about it working the same as previous receivers, at least when not using directional, so people checked this already. Also there is no reason for Audyssey to change how they calibrate subwoofers, especially considering they specifically said they tried individual subwoofer EQ in the past, and current system gave better results (which makes sense and is how you should do it when applying "traditional" EQ).

Phidel

Another 3800H onwer here! I have 2 questions:

Why the menu options doesn't appears in the TV? I only see it in dimmer.

why Audyssey appears in grey and I can't configure it?

hiphop_odc

Another 3800H onwer here! I have 2 questions:

Why the menu options doesn't appears in the TV? I only see it in dimmer.

why Audyssey appears in grey and I can't configure it?
Hi
Try to see, if there are any updates

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Denon themselves says otherwise:

View attachment 263666

Your screenshots appear to be from the D+M product manager's (has a German name) Maximo webinar video on the models below the A1H. That same gentleman presented on the A1H and he's supposed to talk more about the 4 subwoofer calibration feature. I think I have watched that one but cannot find it any more on ASR using the search function.

It's the same product manager who presented one on the AV10/AMP 10. Those webinar video typically provide more info than those Youtubers who typically don't add any more info than what's on the D+M websites. Unfortunately those D+M product manager's webinar type videos are very hard to find by search engines including Google. Google seems to be swamped by independent Youtubers who simply regurgitate each other's, adding nothing new to what's on D+M websites already.

If anyone know where the link to such D+M video on the A1H is on ASR, or elsewhere, please post it again on this thread or the A1H thread, it will be appreciated. Again, if I remember right, that product manager said he would have more info on the 4 subwoofer calibration.

rvsixer

Your screenshots appear to be from the D+M product manager's (has a German name) Maximo webinar videoAgain, if I remember right, that product manager said he would have more info on the 4 subwoofer calibration.
Indeed the info I posted is from the latest Masimo training video, and indeed they did state that more in depth 4-sub info would be in the A1H video (hence why I reserved any speculation about how it will actually work). I have not seen the A1H training video published on YouTube as of yet.

Top Bottom