• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 83 18.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 206 47.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 26.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 31 7.1%

• Total voters

amper42

Major Contributor
Can you tell me where to find these Purifi amplifiers? Some have mentioned other Class D amps in these threads that are low cost but good sounding. Can't remember their names.

Thanks
The Buckeye Stereo Purifi is $1189 or three channel $1699.

You would also do just fine with the NC502MP for $749. With an AVR I doubt you will hear an audible difference.

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Could anyone please verify if this X3800H lets you disconnect all amp channels except Center and amplify that alone?

Thanks.
You can Google the 3800H manual using this keyword "denon x3800h manual pdf"

If you look at page 44, It states, "Set “Assign Mode” to “Preamplifier” if connecting all channels to the Pre-out connectors using an external amplifier. (v p. 206) This stops operation of the internal power amplifier of this unit, reducing interference in the preamplifier created by the power amplifier."

You can use amp assign for other configurations and the internal Center amp will work but the internal amps are still engaged even if the Pre-out is used. The Pre-out connector (RCA) is always live. See Page 213 for details.

213.png

Last edited:

da Choge

Forum Donor
The Rotel website doesn't offer any surround processor's anymore
Yes, I saw that, and thought it might be somewhat of a website glitch, especially since it's relatively new. It's still available at the online retailers, but they are asking full retail price. Do you know if it is being discontinued, or might this be a temporary Rotel website issue? Did you get yours at a local B&M audio store? I have no idea what kind of discount you got, but it sounds like it was really great! Oh, and do you know if Rotel ever came through with the Dolby Vision upgrade they promised for this unit?

[Sorry, thread followers - OT, I know, but I didn't think this justified a thread of its own]

Last edited:

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Disappointing to read.
I'd like to upgrade my TV and Receiver to take advantage of the new gaming advantages with HDMI 2.1 (VRR etc.), I currently use a Denon AVR-X4400H with pre-outs for the front channels to my 2 channel amps (Musical Fidelity A5CR Pre Amp and 2xA3CR Power Amps bi-amping) so I have the best of both worlds for music and HT/Gaming.
However, to replace my receiver I need a new model that has multiple inputs that support 4K 120Hz Passthrough, I'll only be amplifying the centre and 2 rear channels.
I've no idea what to look at with the new Denons being disappointing, maybe the Maranbtz Cinema 50 will be better?
Also the cost of receivers in Europe now is crazy, the starting price of the Denon 3700 here in Switzerland was around 1700, the 3800 starts at 2700!!
So many receivers from a few years ago have barely dropped in price.
I bought my 4400 for 849, 4 years ago.
I wouldn't overemphasize a small reduction in SINAD. I have a 3700 PCM and it sounds great. You know what I miss? Having more than one HDMI 2.1 port. The C50 has the same internals as the 3800, so that decision is really just down to aesthetics (and the Marantz Cinema line looks beautiful IMO). Particularly if reliable 4K120/VRR/ALLM is important to you, you want to have the latest chipsets. The original 2020 models, including the 3700 AKM, were plagued with faulty HDMI 2.1 implementations.

Frontino

I have read the manual, but it does not show if what I'm asking is actually possible, so I politely requested any owner of this AVR if it lets disconnect all channels except Center.

Thanks.

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have read the manual, but it does not show if what I'm asking is actually possible, so I politely requested any owner of this AVR if it lets disconnect all channels except Center.

Thanks.
Already well covered in this thread. For example, the posted Sound United video has a very thorough explanation of the amp disconnect functionality:
#1,321

Last edited:

Music707

Thanks.

Of course it does. From the Denon manual:

1669566405538.jpeg

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In almost every ASR review category the Denon 3800 measures considerably worse than the Denon 3700/4700. It's a fact. Linearity degraded, Preamp mode distortion sets in early -15dB, Peak performance 0.8V versus 1.4V on 4700, 3800 DAC a full 10dB lower SINAD rating than 3700/4700, 32 tone test is worse. At every turn, the Denon 3800 is a downgrade from 3700/4700 measurements. If you want to trade performance for things most people don't need then you should buy a Denon 3800. Let's be sure it's not an uninformed choice for buyers.
We have no idea how the 4700 and the 3700 measure after the AKM factory burn, for all we know they all measure the same now.

Trell

Major Contributor
We have no idea how the 4700 and the 3700 measure after the AKM factory burn, for all we know they all measure the same now.

They, D&M, did change the DAC IC and was very cagey (i.e. dishonest) about it, and my guess is that it's very similar to the "new" generation of AVR. You're just repeating D&M marketing.

Music707

Posters not reading the manual is quite common, on the other hand, those manuals are usually crappy. A conundrum for sure. :)

In my view the manual of the 3800H does not call for the skills of a riddle-master. (But I am with you on many other examples.)

Assuming that a manual is of good quality, how do you know from a distance whether a poster
a) did not read the manual or
b) did read it, but not with proper care or
c) did read it carefully but did not understand?

Ockham's razor? ;)

amper42

Major Contributor

If the lower measuring DAC substituted in the Denon 4700 after the AKM fire is the same as the one in the 3800 then Denon should have provided a new unit for ASR measurements rather than knowingly deceive buyers with a highly read review they knew did not apply to currently product. Instead, Denon was very quiet about changes. That action reflects the character of company leadership.

If the part changes midway in sales of the Denon 4700 product were duplicated in the 3800, then paying $2500 for a Denon 4800 vs the Denon 4700 at $1499 would be a waste of money for most. The new 4800 has no front HDMI but includes 4 sub RCA outputs versus 2 on the Denon 4700. I can't imagine paying $1000 extra for those two RCA's. Some will say Dirac will be an option later? But it's a paid option that isn't available now. Most will set the AVR up with Audyssey and be happy. No need to spend hundreds more.

Denon could have spent $10 more on the DAC part and had an AVR that measures close to the original 4700 ASR review. Instead, they raised the price by $600 and opted for cheaper parts. Not the kind of company leadership I'm looking to support. Pay more for lower measuring gear or NOT. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
In my view the manual of the 3800H does not call for the skills of a riddle-master. (But I am with you on many other examples.)

Assuming that a manual is of good quality, how do you know from a distance whether a poster
a) did not read the manual or
b) did read it, but not with proper care or
c) did read it carefully but did not understand?

Ockham's razor? ;)
Option a) sounds just about right.

fluxcapacitor

Thanks Topping, SMSL and other Chineese dac manufacturers. They offer us very cheap but awesome quality products considering how terrible such a well known Denon brand performed here.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Topping, SMSL and other Chineese dac manufacturers. They offer us very cheap but awesome quality products considering how terrible such a well known Denon brand performed here.
Plus, you won't feel THAT guilty if/when they crap out. Then, you can pretend that they are just consumables and send them to that e-waste heaven.
You don't even have to waste time attempting to arrange a warranty-service because no such thing really exists for those far-east audio manufacturers.
For the price: Who cares?;)

Minjin

At the beginning of this year, I purchased a home with my first large, dedicated home theater (24ft long, 15ft wide). I've soldiered along since this summer with my 5.1 setup (B&K 307 AVR, 5 in-wall DT8LCR speakers + 2 subs) but started reading up on AVRs and was settled on getting a 3700H (good features, good sound, pre-outs so I could use my B&K as an amp, multiple sub outs) come holiday deal time. Of course, a few months ago, the 3800H was announced and everyone said that would be the one to buy. On BF, I waited and then figured there wouldn't be any sales of the new model and pulled the trigger on the 3800H, due to arrive later this coming week. Then, I found this thread and started reading. 2 days and 73 pages later, now I'm wondering if I made the wrong decision. That's the downside of reading reviews after purchasing something. You're almost better off without the added information.

Trell

Major Contributor
At the beginning of this year, I purchased a home with my first large, dedicated home theater (24ft long, 15ft wide). I've soldiered along since this summer with my 5.1 setup (B&K 307 AVR, 5 in-wall DT8LCR speakers + 2 subs) but started reading up on AVRs and was settled on getting a 3700H (good features, good sound, pre-outs so I could use my B&K as an amp, multiple sub outs) come holiday deal time. Of course, a few months ago, the 3800H was announced and everyone said that would be the one to buy. On BF, I waited and then figured there wouldn't be any sales of the new model and pulled the trigger on the 3800H, due to arrive later this coming week. Then, I found this thread and started reading. 2 days and 73 pages later, now I'm wondering if I made the wrong decision. That's the downside of reading reviews after purchasing something. You're almost better off without the added information.
Where you happy with your setup before reading this thread? If so, all is fine.

If you’re unhappy then try identify what you’re unhappy with. My guess is that speakers as well as their placement is more important than a new AVR.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
73 pages later, now I'm wondering if I made the wrong decision. That's the downside of reading reviews after purchasing something. You're almost better off without the added information.
What you are saying has no downside (... getting educated).;)
What can possibly be worse?
To buy a product and find out that it sounded crappy and THEN ASR confirms the reasons why it sounds so crappy.

Minjin

Where you happy with your setup before reading this thread? If so, all is fine.

If you’re unhappy then try identify what you’re unhappy with. My guess is that speakers as well as their placement is more important than a new AVR.
Not having HDMI inputs into the receiver was getting old. I had to cludge together an HDMI audio extractor to make it work temporarily but it was becoming increasingly an issue. So I needed something modern and this receiver seemed like the bottom (quality) receiver I could find with preouts. I now know the RZ50 should have been on my radar as well.

Minjin

What you are saying has no downside (... getting educated).;)
What can possibly be worse?
To buy a product and find out that it sounded crappy and THEN ASR confirms the reasons why it sounds so crappy.
Education is good, although it is difficult to not fall afoul of the paradox of choice. Sometimes there are too many choices and too much information.

Unfortunately, I'm more likely to be looking for and hearing the "crappy" sound now that I've been primed for it.

I'm not really complaining, just thought you guys might find my lamentation amusing.

Top Bottom