• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3800H is released.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I didn't see any mention that the AVR has launched for $1700USD, so here are a few links at the bottom.

I did notice one thing that may disappoint. It appears that Dirac Live won't be available at launch.

• 9.4 channel, 105w (2 channel driven)

• 11.4 channel preamp outputs

• Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, DTS Virtual:X, IMAX Enhanced, Auro 3D

• 8K, HDCP 2.3, HDR10+, HDR, Dolby Vision, 4k/120, 8k/60 & VRR, eARC

• 6 HDMI 2.1 inputs / 3 HDMI outputs (2 support HDMI 2.1)

• Analog/digital inputs (RCA, Toslink, and Coax)

• Phono input (moving magnet)

• Bluetooth, WiFi, and AirPlay 2 compatible

• HEOS multiroom audio built-in

• Multi-room capable, assignable, and via pre-out

• Support for most voice assistants (Google, Alexa, and Siri)

• Support for Tidal, Spotify, Amazon Music, Pandora, and more via HEOS

• Audyssey Multi EQ XT32 w/Dynamic Volume & Sub EQ, w/4 independent sub outs

• Dirac Live speaker calibration software (available in 2023 via Firmdware update)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DAMN!!!

My next AVR? Likely. Waiting for ASR review... Not that I need an AVR but DIRAC and 4 subs out ? Full FOMO-mode! :D

Peace.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't see any mention that the AVR has launched for $1700USD, so here are a few links at the bottom.
There is tons of discussion in the Sound United thread.

TLDR; Until we know more about the independent subwoofer and Dirac support it's a decent if expensive update of the Denon lineup.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1664066894819.png

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looks extremely promising, but I really hope the X2800H ends up being 9.2 channels for $900-1200. Right now there is a sore lack of "affordable" models for people who want a 5.2.4 setup without going for the full blown 7.4.4. Even the Onkyo NR-7100 has risen from $1100 to $1300 since release.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no information at all about the Dirac support or how it will work other than that it's allegedly sometime in 2023 and that it will cost money.
Yeah that's what I've kind of gleaned so far, thanks.

ps but generally just wonder how limited the processors are in these units....the four sub thing is a good sign, tho.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Any idea what DAC chip?

There is AKM vs TI controversy in 4700H thread lol

AKM is back.

AwesomeSauce2015

While it seems like an amazing device, which should be usable as a dedicated processor, I really don't like the price. $1700 is just way too much... Now, if they had managed to integrate Dirac in at launch for that price, I would be much more interested, but there is no confirmation (remember 8k? lol. No guarantees.) that Dirac will ever be coming, let alone which level of Dirac will come.
Now, if they actually are planning on using Dirac with the x3800h, then it would probably need a bigger DSP engine (compared to older designs, a more expensive chip) to handle the time correction and whatever else Dirac does...
If they are planning on adding DLBC or that fancy "new" mode where it uses your main speakers as subs as well, then I guess it would be pretty good value, but still $1600 is too much for me.
What I want is a box that can do really good 5.2.2 or 5.2.4, for about $1k... I don't need amps, I just want a processor lol.

(edit: clarified a few points)

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While it seems like an amazing device, which should be usable as a dedicated processor, I really don't like the price. $1700 is just way too much... Now, if they had managed to integrate Dirac in at launch for that price, I would be much more interested, but there is no confirmation (remember 8k? lol. No guarantees.) that Dirac will ever be coming, let alone which level of Dirac will come.
Now, if they actually are planning on using Dirac with the x3800h, then it would probably need a bigger DSP engine (compared to older designs, a more expensive chip) to handle the time correction and whatever else Dirac does...
If they are planning on adding DLBC or that fancy "new" mode where it uses your main speakers as subs as well, then I guess it would be pretty good value, but still $1600 is too much for me.
What I want is a box that can do really good 5.2.2 or 5.2.4, for about $1k... I don't need amps, I just want a processor lol.

(edit: clarified a few points)
Good luck with that wish....

SKBubba

I will bet one US dollar (to the first and only one taker) that @amirm has a measurement/review up next week.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys remember that Dirac was made for the purpose of running room correction on the weakest possible chip as long as the computer generating the filters themselves is capable.

It didn’t cost Denon nothing in terms of Hardware costs to support Dirac. That’s why Dirac is great.

lexelot

The Crutchfield page shows the Dirac Live license will cost $199. Who knows if they have inside info or are just copy-pasting information from another avr though.

Here is the exact note:
Note: You have the option to upgrade to Dirac Live (for $199), an advanced state-of-the-art digital room correction software that utilizes your Windows PC or Mac computer and a 3rd party USB microphone (sold separately) to analyze your speakers and listening room for optimum speaker performance and the removal of unwanted sound colorations introduced by the room. The result is substantially improved soundstaging, clarity, and voice intelligibility.

AwesomeSauce2015

The Crutchfield page shows the Dirac Live license will cost $199. Who knows if they have inside info or are just copy-pasting information from another avr though.

Here is the exact note:
Note: You have the option to upgrade to Dirac Live (for $199), an advanced state-of-the-art digital room correction software that utilizes your Windows PC or Mac computer and a 3rd party USB microphone (sold separately) to analyze your speakers and listening room for optimum speaker performance and the removal of unwanted sound colorations introduced by the room. The result is substantially improved soundstaging, clarity, and voice intelligibility.
If that's true then the x3800h is a ripoff in my book.
If Dirac was included for $1700, then it starts to make sense with 11.4 capability (as long as it actually can independently process 4 subs, and we know Dirac can handle them)
... sigh ...
Looks like I'm going to have to hack up an AVR myself and implement supplemental DSP to get what I want...

theBruce

My 3800 will be here on Wednesday (except I am in Florida and a Hurricane coming).

Going to use it has a pre-pro, to replace my much loved Yamaha 5200, did not want to, but I have a PS5 and XBOX X that needs the better HDMI inputs.

I had a 3700 ( also a pre-pro) that went to my son, it sounded great, the Yamaha was even better.

Top Bottom