• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H vs Pioneer Elite SC-99

Rumble_Fish

Hello Everyone,

I need help deciding. I currently have a Marantz Slimline 1607 for home theater at the behest of my wife to fit in a cabinet. We watch mostly movies, netflix with occasional music. I have Monitor Audio Silver RX6 Series for Front & Center Channel and SVS Subwoofer. The Marantz is just to weak and almost muddy. We both don't like bright presentations but this almost to soft. Even my wife agrees. I have an Pioneer Elite SC-67 in my mancave with a mix of speakers in basement (Monitor Audio Bronze (front & center), Boston Acoustic A250 (rears) and JBL 550P sub. Wife was floored when we watched Mad Max Fury Road. Want the same upstairs. I got permission to upgrade.

I have the opportunity to purchase Elite SC-99 from a friend for somewhere between $800-$900. He might even go lower than $800. I've been reading reviews of the phenomenal Denon X3700 and plan to go listen within the next 2 weeks. I'm already familar with the SC sound. I'm interested in your opinions on which one you would choose? You think the Pioneer to outdated. I know it does not have Dolby Vision which is not that important.

Thanks.
RF

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Unless the SC-99 is different than the one I had, I would avoid it due to a TI chip in there that goes bad over time. Mine did so, resulting initially in muting from time to time. After that, i read that it will go totally dead and that is that. Pioneer had a recall on them and would exchange a board for you but they ran out of that a couple of years ago. Now they just give you a discounted new AVR which is not as good. I think mine was the SC-67 so the one you have may be on its way out as well!

OP
R

Rumble_Fish

Unless the SC-99 is different than the one I had, I would avoid it due to a TI chip in there that goes bad over time. Mine did so, resulting initially in muting from time to time. After that, i read that it will go totally dead and that is that. Pioneer had a recall on them and would exchange a board for you but they ran out of that a couple of years ago. Now they just give you a discounted new AVR which is not as good. I think mine was the SC-67 so the one you have may be on its way out as well!

Thanks amirm. My SC67 actually did fail couple years ago with the dreaded UE22 error. They gave me the option of getting a similar model or have it repaired with the new board. I was very worried as it was during the time they were running out of boards and was waiting to hear from them when I should ship my receiver. Huge sigh of relief when I finally got the email with authorization and shipping instructions. I was under the impression that the SC 9 series did not have that UE22 problem. Definitely struggling with this decision. I will do more research to see if indeed there are failures in 9 series. Don't see the SC99 up for sale often. Never owned Denon before. May be time to try something new.

Great website by the way. I could spend hours reading. Nobody is doing this on the web.

Cheers
RF

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Everyone,

I need help deciding. I currently have a Marantz Slimline 1607 for home theater at the behest of my wife to fit in a cabinet. We watch mostly movies, netflix with occasional music. I have Monitor Audio Silver RX6 Series for Front & Center Channel and SVS Subwoofer. The Marantz is just to weak and almost muddy. We both don't like bright presentations but this almost to soft. Even my wife agrees. I have an Pioneer Elite SC-67 in my mancave with a mix of speakers in basement (Monitor Audio Bronze (front & center), Boston Acoustic A250 (rears) and JBL 550P sub. Wife was floored when we watched Mad Max Fury Road. Want the same upstairs. I got permission to upgrade.

I have the opportunity to purchase Elite SC-99 from a friend for somewhere between $800-$900. He might even go lower than $800. I've been reading reviews of the phenomenal Denon X3700 and plan to go listen within the next 2 weeks. I'm already familar with the SC sound. I'm interested in your opinions on which one you would choose? You think the Pioneer to outdated. I know it does not have Dolby Vision which is not that important.

Thanks.
RF

I don't know about the 1607 but I know the 1608's preamp/dac circuit looks identical to that of the Denon X2400H and the power amps are also very similar, the Marantz 1608 is just less powerful. Based on the similarity, I expect the X3700H will be just more powerful and may not sound any different to you in direct mode with no dsp/req used.

Last edited:

Putter

Forum Donor
I would point that the Marantz has preamp outs that would allow you to add a Power amplifier that could be done for less than the cost of a new AV receiver. You might get more 'bang for the buck' with a 2nd subwoofer if it will pass WAF. The Denon 3700 does have the best room correction system. It's unclear if you've used the Audyssey MultEq system which is likely to make an improvement. As far as differences in the sound of amplifiers, they're minimal at best and are primarily due to power limitations.

Top Bottom