• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

zelig

Forum Donor
I have actually done this! My living room setup has an SR5006, standard Audyssey. The 3600H has dramatically superior bass management, BUT it isn’t even a fair comparison because the multi eq app adds so many features. EQ frequency limiting, curve editing, etc. So, yeah, it’s a big step up.

I don’t know why you’re so stuck on this. The psychos on this board wouldn’t even bother with a practically unadjustable DSP when relatively cheap receivers offer a superior version.
Cheap is indeed relative. I have lots of things to spend my money on but $600 on enhanced room correction for my AVR is not one of them. But I appreciate others may feel different. Im just curious why they feel different.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cheap is indeed relative. I have lots of things to spend my money on but $600 on enhanced room correction for my AVR is not one of them. But I appreciate others may feel different. Im just curious why they feel different.
Allow me to put things into perspective.

People spend $600 on a new DAC, streamer, preamp, amp, cables, you name it (pick one) in hopes of a 1% improvement.

Here's what Audyssey can do:

Audyssey Comparison.png

NOTE: delays were not manually optimized pre-EQ because that is taken care of by SubEQ – otherwise the red line would look a little better.

Have you ever experienced bass so linear that you can hear every detail? Most people have not. Significant masking occurs with peaks and troughs and leads to one-note-bass.

Let's zoom in on that upper bass 80-250 Hz:

Buchardt S400 + Rythmik G22 through Schroeder.png

Near perfection.

It's true that rigorous application of good practices (placement) helps establish a solid baseline, but the final result wasn't possible without Audyssey XT32.

System:
  • Buchardt S400 speakers
  • 2xRythmik G22 subwoofers
  • Denon AVR-X4500H
  • Audyssey MultEQ app
  • Spare bedroom

Last edited:

Carnajo

Is it just me or am I missing something in saying that these specific AVRs look like a really good alternative to most integrated or power amp combos? Measurements aren't super high tier, but for the price they seem to outperform (or should that be outmeasure) comparative integrated amps and have the benefit of room correction?

I mean for stereo music listening (2.1 i guess). Cause common "wisdom" is that AVRs are terrible for stereo music listening.

Zoide

Is it worth paying ~€900 for an X3700H over an X3600H for ~€800?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

If the X3600H has all the features you need then I would say no but if the new features such as 8K, pre-amp mode are a must for you then yes. If those features are not a must, but nice to have, then it becomes a subjective matter. Just my opinion..

Taddpole

As well as what features you need now think about which features you may need before you'd want to buy a new one. €100 now might outweigh earlier upgrade.

On the other hand X3600h may drop in price a bit as x3700h becomes more available, could make that more appealing.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Arcam + Dirac is not a step up, i’ve tried it for 2 years untill i switched to x3600 and audyssey app. You just need minidsp if you have more than 2 subs and room modes are not fixed to 300hz it depends on the room in my case it is around 500hz.
I've had both and both are good. I had better sound getting better speakers and limiting eq to under 300. Also, if you want to do 4 subs and they are equidistant (something like 4 corners or 4 midwall) you can use a splitter off of the 2 sub outputs to make 4. My understanding is if they are the same distance such as front left/front right corners a simple splitter is fine since the distance is the same. It doesn't mean that I wish Denon would stick 4 independent sub outs on their units next year though!

Mayers

As I just post in the other Denon thread, I finished measuring the 8500H and the results are in Denon's hands. As soon as they approve, I can post them.

hello amirm,

Were the capacitor problems experienced in the Denon X6700H and the stereo downmix problems experienced in the denon X4700H also present in the denon X3700H?

kevindd992002

As well as what features you need now think about which features you may need before you'd want to buy a new one. €100 now might outweigh earlier upgrade.

On the other hand X3600h may drop in price a bit as x3700h becomes more available, could make that more appealing.

Will there even be newer X3600H stocks soon? Won't it get phased out soon?

Atlantis089

hello amirm,

Were the capacitor problems experienced in the Denon X6700H and the stereo downmix problems experienced in the denon X4700H also present in the denon X3700H?

Amrir explained in a rather old post that he thinks that all Denon models 2019 and 2020 have downmix problem

Taddpole

Will there even be newer X3600H stocks soon? Won't it get phased out soon?

It's in stock in few places over here. Those are where I'd guess there might be further reductions.

Doubtful of anywhere restocking tbh. But covid has had weird impact in AV equipment so normal expectations may not apply.

Blade77

i think the real question is Denon 3700 vs 4500, which are similary priced.

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Allow me to put things into perspective.

People spend $600 on a new DAC, streamer, preamp, amp, cables, you name it (pick one) in hopes of a 1% improvement.

Here's what Audyssey can do:

View attachment 78681

NOTE: delays were not manually optimized pre-EQ because that is taken care of by SubEQ – otherwise the red line would look a little better.

Have you ever experienced bass so linear that you can hear every detail? Most people have not. Significant masking occurs with peaks and troughs and leads to one-note-bass.

Let's zoom in on that upper bass 80-250 Hz:

View attachment 78682

Near perfection.

It's true that rigorous application of good practices (placement) helps establish a solid baseline, but the final result wasn't possible without Audyssey XT32.

System:
  • Buchardt S400 speakers
  • 2xRythmik G22 subwoofers
  • Denon AVR-X4500H
  • Audyssey MultEQ app
  • Spare bedroom

+15dB at 40Hz?

reg19

OK. I got this receiver on Amir's review. I need some help as I am a complete novice in the confusing world of digital audio streaming!

I have pre-outs connected to a Parasound A21 power amp. I also have twin-subs connected to it. Currently, I use internal amps for center and surrounds (5.2 for HT).

But, my question is for optimizing my (2.2) audio set-up - from streaming sources for best quality while trying to use this receiver as a pre-amp into my A21.

I have Tidal HiFi (and Amazon Music HD).

1. Getting MQA-quality from Tidal: I'm assuming that if I stream directly from TIDAL using HEOS app, I shall not enjoy MQA quality on those tracks. How do I get them?

I have a Audioquest Dragonfly Red at home. Any way for me to use this with the Denon receiver for better quality?

2. What is the best way to get good quality from Amazon Music HD? The HEOS app has horrible implementation of Amazon Music. I could stream directly from the Amazon Music HD app but that would be via Airplay 2 and hence, would not be HiRes (only CD quality).

3. I just started a 14-day Roon trial. I only plan to use streaming services. If so, any advantage (in audio quality) by using Roon (I guess, using a PC as core) and connecting via USB or HDMI to receiver?

Edit: made my 2nd small monthly donation via PayPal using the provided link. This forum is very useful & thanks to Amir, et al for all the guidance.

Thanks!

Grandzoltar

Forum Donor
OK. I got this receiver on Amir's review. I need some help as I am a complete novice in the confusing world of digital audio streaming!

I have pre-outs connected to a Parasound A21 power amp. I also have twin-subs connected to it. Currently, I use internal amps for center and surrounds (5.2 for HT).

But, my question is for optimizing my (2.2) audio set-up - from streaming sources for best quality while trying to use this receiver as a pre-amp into my A21.

I have Tidal HiFi (and Amazon Music HD).

1. Getting MQA-quality from Tidal: I'm assuming that if I stream directly from TIDAL using HEOS app, I shall not enjoy MQA quality on those tracks. How do I get them?

I have a Audioquest Dragonfly Red at home. Any way for me to use this with the Denon receiver for better quality?

2. What is the best way to get good quality from Amazon Music HD? The HEOS app has horrible implementation of Amazon Music. I could stream directly from the Amazon Music HD app but that would be via Airplay 2 and hence, would not be HiRes (only CD quality).

3. I just started a 14-day Roon trial. I only plan to use streaming services. If so, any advantage (in audio quality) by using Roon (I guess, using a PC as core) and connecting via USB or HDMI to receiver?

Edit: made my 2nd small monthly donation via PayPal using the provided link. This forum is very useful & thanks to Amir, et al for all the guidance.

Thanks!
Chromecast audio connected to your avr with roon casted to it will give you a higher sampling rate than what heos offers. I am not a 100% on mqa

reg19

Chromecast audio connected to your avr with roon casted to it will give you a higher sampling rate than what heos offers. I am not a 100% on mqa
Thanks.

Some questions: when I use the setup you recommend, am I using the DAC in Chromecast audio or the DAC in the avr? BTW: is Chromecast Audio still available? I thought that they discontinued it.

Top Bottom