• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

reg19

This is just personal experience. YMMV.

I own a Marantz SR6014. Like it. For music, I take pre-out into a Parasound A21. Speakers: (1) Martin Logan Motion 60XT and twin subs (Martin Logan Dynamo 1000W). Have extra speakers for 5.2 but that is irrelevant.

After reading this whole measurements thing, I got a 3700H and tried it out extensively using same set-up (crossovers, etc) as both are quite similar receivers other than that 'questionable' HDAM module.

I listen mostly to soft jazz / classical (input: Tidal Hifi / Qobuz Premier into HEOS) at not too high levels (around 65-70db) in a 20x23x9 room.

In my room, to my ears, with my set-up, at these listening levels, the SR6014 sounds better. The Denon sounds harsher, though there bit more detail in the highs. The Marantz sounds more musical and non-fatiguing. The difference is significant enough.

Sad: I already had committed to returning the SR6014 before purchasing the 3700H.

But a big thanks to the OP for taking the time out for this venture. It is tremendously useful - particularly as the manufacturers are paying attention to it.

BTW: a little bit I did not know about both receivers till recently: if you use 4-ohm speakers, refer to the manual to change the setting on the receiver to 4 ohms and they shall sound better.

Last edited:

krizvi786

i agree Denon is harsh. More detail and more clear vocals. Just cant listen to it as much.

I own a Marantz SR6014. Like it. For music, I take pre-out into a Parasound A21. Speakers: (1) Martin Logan Motion 60XT and twin subs (Martin Logan Dynamo 1000W). Have extra speakers for 5.2 but that is irrelevant.

After reading this whole measurements thing, I got a 3700H and tried it out extensively using same set-up (crossovers, etc) as both are quite similar receivers other than that 'questionable' HDAM module.

I listen mostly to soft jazz / classical (input: Tidal Hifi / Qobuz Premier into HEOS) at not too high levels (around 65-70db) in a 20x23x9 room.

In my room, to my ears, with my set-up, at these listening levels, the SR6014 sounds better. The Denon sounds harsher, though there bit more detail in the highs. The Marantz sounds more musical and non-fatiguing. The difference is significant enough.

Sad: I already had committed to returning the SR6014 before purchasing the 3700H.

But a big thanks to the OP for taking the time out for this venture. It is tremendously useful - particularly as the manufacturers are paying attention to it.

BTW: a little bit I did not know about both receivers till recently: if you use 4-ohm speakers, refer to the manual to change the setting on the receiver to 4 ohms and they shall sound better.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Denon is neutral. So your interpretation of it being "harsh" means your speakers are harsh, and you prefer a non-neutral amp to roll off the highs.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Actually, do NOT do that. That setting is there so that the amp reduces its output capability to pass regulator (UL heat rise) tests. It actually lowers the available output power! This is also why a lot of AVRs don't spec 4 ohm capability even though they perfectly work fine with 4 ohm loads. If they specified 4 ohm, they would fail the UL heat rise test so they get around that by saying 6 ohm is the lowest impedance.

Urgo

Forum Donor

As he says it is a personal experience, with personal subjective appreciations about the sound differences between D-M, impossible to prove and variable depending on the listener. Speakers can't sound better by changing in the avr from 8 to 4 Ohm, it's just a widely discussed mode of electrical protection.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, do NOT do that. That setting is there so that the amp reduces its output capability to pass regulator (UL heat rise) tests. It actually lowers the available output power! This is also why a lot of AVRs don't spec 4 ohm capability even though they perfectly work fine with 4 ohm loads. If they specified 4 ohm, they would fail the UL heat rise test so they get around that by saying 6 ohm is the lowest impedance.
To add: it reduces power to the exact same amount as used by ECO mode. They are identical. So just leave it at "8 ohms" and use ECO mode if desired (I do because I use an external amp). As far as I know ECO mode does not reduce power to the preouts.

Last edited:

reg19

Thanks. Useful to know. FWIW: only my center channel (a 4 ohm speaker) and my surrounds (8 ohm speakers) draw power from the receiver and only when I use it for HT.

reg19

Denon is neutral. So your interpretation of it being "harsh" means your speakers are harsh, and you prefer a non-neutral amp to roll off the highs.

Yes, quite possible. I also notice that this occurs for most audiophiles that spend tons of money on equipment & prefer tube sound. They prefer rolled off highs. I’m not a knowledgeable audiophile - just a listener using low-to-average costing equipment.

reg19

Related question: does this affect the pre-amp output as well? That is all I care for music listening.

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe.

Part 1:

Part 2:

If those 2 videos are supposed to back your previous claims you better inform better, otherwise you are possibly misleading other members.
Gene talks some interesting things but at the end of the day Denon pays him and a blind test made by him doesn’t proof anything.

Even though audyssey makes a good job, Dirac IS superior because it corrects impulse and frequency response behavior in the sweet spot, under gain- and pre-ringing constraints. It corrects the time domain response of the loudspeaker, this alone gives it superior audible results.
PLUS Dirac Live uses mixed-phase filtering - in effect, a combination of IIR and FIR filters.

With regards with subwoofers, Dirac “Bass Control” solves everything you pointed and there is no other tool that makes it so easy or perform better at Bass Management with more than 1 Subwoofer. If they are bad at marketing or haven’t chosen to make it mainstream that’s a different story...

Anterantz

Nice to see no surprises and very good performance at this price. It will be interesting in next years models if they choose to have amp disconnect on all channels individually or save that feature for their flagship model. My only other comment is to continue to develop Audyssey. The app was a huge improvement but they need to continue to develop it: more choices on room curves, 4 sub out options, include a better MIC on higher end models, option to disable surround boost with DEQ,

I totally agree with you ... it seems to me that they should improve audyseey, the app improved a lot but I still notice that it lacks enough to look like dirac which is the only plus that I find avr types arcam or nad

Anterantz

While Dirac was/is late when it comes to integrating subs, it is superior in every other aspect. It's especially good for full range use.

Exactly as much as it hurts us, dirac gives the global sound a cleanliness and clarity that I do not perceive with audyseey, as much as it hurts us if our a / v could choose to wear dirac even if it was paid, many of which included me, I would pay

Anterantz

Be careful with what you say friend, many of here continue to think that a mid-range avr exceeds a high-end in final sound and everything to its dac and the famous sinad!

many things influence an avr and not only a data from its sinad to 2v .. i admire what makes amir but let us lower it to the ground and do not fall into the trap of thinking that because the 3600 has better sinad than an arcam avr850 it sounds better.

I have had a marantz sr7013 and they sound in stereo better than denon and you just have to go to avsforum threads where they say that users with denon 3xxx / 4xxx / 6xxx are not happy in section 2ch

SnausPockets

If you're on the west coast you can get the X3700h for around $850 from Video Only stores... if you ask nicely.

Hey thanks for this...

Just got off my couch and went about a mile to see what they said.

Ended up buying a new x4700h for 1399.00(300 off). Good tip!

He took me in the office to figure it out so we weren't in front of other customers.

When they will have one for me is another matter. Says it could be a couple days...could be a couple weeks. I can wait.

The supply and demand situation has me wondering how they can sell them at a discount already...but I am not complaining!

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Related question: does this affect the pre-amp output as well? That is all I care for music listening.
No, it does not. However, even though you only use the AVR for home theater, you still should change that 4 ohm setting back to 8. You will lose dynamic impact unless you play your movies at quiet levels.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If those 2 videos are supposed to back your previous claims you better inform better, otherwise you are possibly misleading other members.
Gene talks some interesting things but at the end of the day Denon pays him and a blind test made by him doesn’t proof anything.

Even though audyssey makes a good job, Dirac IS superior because it corrects impulse and frequency response behavior in the sweet spot, under gain- and pre-ringing constraints. It corrects the time domain response of the loudspeaker, this alone gives it superior audible results.
PLUS Dirac Live uses mixed-phase filtering - in effect, a combination of IIR and FIR filters.

With regards with subwoofers, Dirac “Bass Control” solves everything you pointed and there is no other tool that makes it so easy or perform better at Bass Management with more than 1 Subwoofer. If they are bad at marketing or haven’t chosen to make it mainstream that’s a different story...
Proof of your claim that Denon pays Gene?

Regardless, the presentation by Matt Poes has nothing to do with Gene. Please leave the red herrings out of this.

Matt talks about the results. Dirac doesn't do much better than Audyssey above the modal region.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Be careful with what you say friend, many of here continue to think that a mid-range avr exceeds a high-end in final sound and everything to its dac and the famous sinad!

many things influence an avr and not only a data from its sinad to 2v .. i admire what makes amir but let us lower it to the ground and do not fall into the trap of thinking that because the 3600 has better sinad than an arcam avr850 it sounds better.

I have had a marantz sr7013 and they sound in stereo better than denon and you just have to go to avsforum threads where they say that users with denon 3xxx / 4xxx / 6xxx are not happy in section 2ch
I tend to think the oft claimed Marantz being better for music has just been repeated so many times at AVS that it has been accepted as fact. Expectation bias affects us all no matter how hard we try to avoid it. I have not seen any double blind, level matched tests to back this up. It really appears to be a marketing thing with Marantz IMO combined with expectation bias. Getting an exact blind level matched test would be very interesting. There certainly could be differences and the results would be interesting. For me, I want to hear as close to the original content as possible with as little extra noise/distortion added to the content as I can get. As with all things YMMV.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If it is the same as ECO mode as suggested, then no, it makes no difference.

Top Bottom