• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

jgiannakas

But, you don’t get the internal amps to turn off unless you use all external amps. I believe the 8500 can do the mix match of internal amps off per channel, but none of the lower model Denon do this.
If your external amp maxes it’s output with 1.4 volts input you don’t need to disconnect the internal amps - there is no benefit sinead wise. If you’re willing to accept a sinead reduction you can drive as stated above even higher inputs but with some degradation in quality compared to if having the amp in preamp mode or 11 channel mode.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On a scale of 1 to 10, how concerned are we that the current 3700h available isn't the same unit as the one Amir reviewed due to the DAC swap and could potentially have inferior performance?

Webninja

Forum Donor
On a scale of 1 to 10, how concerned are we that the current 3700h available isn't the same unit as the one Amir reviewed due to the DAC swap and could potentially have inferior performance?

Unless you are getting a refurbished or used x3700h, all the new ones now have the ESS DAC.

So not the same DAC as the 3700 tested here, but Amir did test the 8805 and concluded

“Anyway, good news is that switch to ESS DAC from AKM has not resulted in any harm. Overall performance remains quite similar.”

My take is that there isn’t any better AVR for the money than the x3700h, and I wish I got the AKM DAC, but that is not an option and I doubt there is an audible difference between the old and new DACs.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless you are getting a refurbished or used x3700h, all the new ones now have the ESS DAC.

So not the same DAC as the 3700 tested here, but Amir did test the 8805 and concluded

“Anyway, good news is that switch to ESS DAC from AKM has not resulted in any harm. Overall performance remains quite similar.”

My take is that there isn’t any better AVR for the money than the x3700h, and I wish I got the AKM DAC, but that is not an option and I doubt there is an audible difference between the old and new DACs.

The 3700 may get the ESS one but wont likey be the same one in the 8805A, only the 8500 will get that one. But that's just a guess, for now.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Masza

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm considering getting a two-channel Buckeye amp for pure stereo use with the 3700h.

1. Any problem with using that amp and my 3700 for stereo?

2. Can I use it for two channel stereo and still use my subs?

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is only true if you have an external amp that needs more that ~1.4 volts to reach full power. Anything below that and the dacs SINAD is actually pretty good.

If your external amp maxes it’s output with 1.4 volts input you don’t need to disconnect the internal amps - there is no benefit sinead wise. If you’re willing to accept a sinead reduction you can drive as stated above even higher inputs but with some degradation in quality compared to if having the amp in preamp mode or 11 channel mode.
So putting the amp in preamp mode eliminates the sensitivity Issue and maintains high sinad?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So putting the amp in preamp mode eliminates the sensitivity Issue and maintains high sinad?

Sensitivity may or may not be an issue for you because it depends on your power amp's output specs at your targeted SINAD, and most importantly your estimated power requirements.

If you can estimate your power requirement (you can use an online calculator) then you could get a more definitive answer to your question.

You would need to know your speaker's nominal impedance and sensitivity specification.

Another potential effects on performance in terms of SINAD using the 3700 to the buckeye amp is that you would have to use a RCA to XLR interconnect and you should make sure the interconnect cable is wired according to hypex's recommendations.

As far as I know, March Audio and Benchmark both sell a very good one. To be sure you can ask March Audio and Benchmark to confirm their wiring method or better still, ask for the wiring diagrams.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sensitivity may or may not be an issue for you because it depends on your power amp's output specs at your targeted SINAD, and most importantly your estimated power requirements.

If you can estimate your power requirement (you can use an online calculator) then you could get a more definitive answer to your question.

You would need to know your speaker's nominal impedance and sensitivity specification.

Another potential effects on performance in terms of SINAD using the 3700 to the buckeye amp is that you would have to use a RCA to XLR interconnect and you should make sure the interconnect cable is wired according to hypex's recommendations.

As far as I know, March Audio and Benchmark both sell a very good one. To be sure you can ask March Audio and Benchmark to confirm their wiring method or better still, ask for the wiring diagrams.

Thank you. Do you happen to know if the subs will work with the fronts in preamp mode? Will Audyssey EQ still be engaged if set to ON?

Mrgoogle

This is a review and detailed measurements of Denon AVR-X3700H 9.2 channel 8K Home Theater AV Receiver (AVR). It is kindly loaned to me by a local member and costs US $1,199.

Visually, if you have seen one AVR, you have seen the look of the AVR-X3700H:

View attachment 76014

The input selector is plastic and while rotating it feels fine, the plastic feel is a bit jarring because you expect it to be metal. AVRs though are universally used with remote controls so this is just a minor nit.

The back panel has the typical connectors including the single new "8K" capable HDMI Input:

View attachment 76015

The 3700H is lighter than its higher end siblings which I personally appreciated as I lugged it around.

In use, the unit was quite robust, never shutting down no matter how much I pushed its amplification in my standard tests. Other AVRs can be very sensitive, constantly shutting down when pushed, often requiring a power cycle. Not here.

The 3700H does run warm and I will show the thermal imaging of it later.

There is a lot of anticipation for this review as I gave its last year mode, the AVR-X3600H my best rating of any AVR tested. Alas, I reviewed that late in its design cycle so availability is very poor. Hope is that this replacement unit doesn't regress in measured performance while adding features. So let's get into that.

Note: Denon engineering was kind enough to review these measurements and confirm that they match their expectations.

AVR DAC Performance
As usual, when we have pre-amplifier output functionality on an AVR, we feed the unit digital 1 kHz perfect sine wave and see what it outputs in analog domain (amplifiers shut off):

View attachment 76021

Ah, that is a sign of relief. SINAD which is the sum of noise and distortion is in the same ballpark of AVR-X3600H:

View attachment 76020

One to two dB difference is to be expected so no cause for concern. I also tested Coax input (not shown) and it had the same performance.

My standardized tests use 2 volts output but since you can't turn off the amplifiers beyond 2 or all channels, let's see what the performance is like for other output levels before the amplifiers clip and drag down the performance of the DAC subsystem:
View attachment 76022

As you see, peak performance with the amplifiers off is around 1.1 volts with SINAD of 101 dB which is excellent for an AVR. With the amps on, you are OK up to 1.4 volt output before it nose dives. So when selecting an external amplifier for channels beyond fronts, make sure it can output its maximum power at or below 1.4 volts (usually specified as "sensitivity").

Signal to noise ratio is about the same as 3600H as well:
View attachment 76023

32-tone test signal which simulates "music" shows more intermodulation distortion than the 3600H:
View attachment 76024

Here is the 3600H for reference:

index.php

The 3700H though evens the match by producing near perfect linearity (accuracy) score:

View attachment 76025

Back to intermodulation distortion, here is how it varies with level:

View attachment 76026

Jitter performance is the same as 3600H in both good and bad ways:

View attachment 76027

Coax/Toslink inputs generate a ton of jitter and spurious sidebands (tones). Levels are very low though so more of a visual distraction than what is audible. HDMI achieves a lower noise floor which indicates the other inputs suffer from random/broadband jitter. However, the HDMI jitter profile is different (blue) showing that better care could be put in there to isolate the DAC from what is around it.

The filter performance is decent:
View attachment 76028

The attenuation here is better than what we get in the higher end AVR-X6700H which is an interesting "reversal of fortunes:" (label on graph is wrong -- should say AVR-X6700H)

index.php

Poor attenuation usually makes our broadband distortion+noise versus frequency worse. So good thing the filtering is better in 3700H:

View attachment 76029

HEOS Streaming Performance
Here is a quick test which shows streaming performance to be similar to HDMI/Coax inputs:

View attachment 76044

AVR Amplifier Measurements
I have been testing Denon AVR amplifiers using CD input which I have found to not be digitized allowing us to see the true performance the amplifier rather than any processing blocks. Question has been raised as to what happens when you turn on signal processing such as bass management. Here is the answer:

View attachment 76030

The answer is naturally, the AVR will digitize such analog signals the moment you do that. As it should. Fortunately the Pure Direct button overrides that as show in red graph. Digitization is at high sample rate of 96 kHz which is nice. Note that level changes a bit so be careful if you are doing AB tests.

For the rest of these tests I will be using CD input in pure-direct with speakers set to large.

Here is our usual dashboard with 1 kHz tone again:

View attachment 76031

Denon once again shows that its amplifiers are above average even though many channels are stuffed in a "mass market" product:

View attachment 76032

And within all AVRs tested:

View attachment 76034

I wish the dynamic range was 6 dB better to clear CD at 16 bits (which the 3600H achieved):
View attachment 76033

Crosstalk is a bit disappointing but Ok from audibility point of view:

View attachment 76035

Power output versus distortion and noise which is one of the most important metrics into 4 ohm shows respectable results:

View attachment 76036

Allowing distortion to grown to 1%, we get even more power, continuous or peak:

View attachment 76037

That's good bit of headroom which is nice to have in any amplifier since peaks in music can be momentary.

Switching to 8 ohm load we get to compare our measurements against the company's spec: (label is a typo: should say 3700H)

View attachment 76038

Testing frequency sensitivity with full power sweep we get:

View attachment 76040

This is a bit less tidy than 3600H but still far better than many other amps, specially the switching/Class D ones.

Note that as is typical, power output drops at 20 Hz (orange) which is where you need it most.

AVR Power Scaling with Channels
There is a shared power supply in all of these AVRs so as you turn on more channels, power you get from each channel drops:

View attachment 76039

AVR Heat & Thermal Analysis
Denon & Marantz AVRs tend to run warm especially if used without the ECO mode. The 3700H doesn't get as warm as its larger brothers which is good:

View attachment 76041

Can't figure out why the hot channels are in the middle even though the speaker terminals are all the way to the right. So perhaps that is how they are wired.

Conclusions
What a sigh of relief that the Denon AVR-X3700H performns on par with the later year mode, 3600H. The other "2020 year" Denon AVRs we have tested have had worse performance, leaving the 3600H as the best performing AVR until now. So buy the 3700H with peace of mind knowing that it performs quite well (for an AVR). Of course be mindful of what other features the units above it have which you may want, top of which is more power.

I am happy to add Denon AVR-X3700H to my recommended list.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Get this: money is so tight that I not only have to mow my own lawn, but had to fix the darn riding mower myself!!! Sweating in hot sun, fixed the rusty connections on the solenoid to get it to start reliably. Please rescue me from this misery so I can find other people do such work by donate what you can using : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Amir , just wonder why you didn't measure DC offset at output with maximum volume with grounded input ?! we don't know how much DC is at output ! do we ?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. Do you happen to know if the subs will work with the fronts in preamp mode? Will Audyssey EQ still be engaged if set to ON?

The subwoofer outputs and Audyssey EQ both work independently of preamp mode.

Ale Dors

This is a review and detailed measurements of Denon AVR-X3700H 9.2 channel 8K Home Theater AV Receiver (AVR). It is kindly loaned to me by a local member and costs US $1,199.

View attachment 76014

The input selector is plastic and while rotating it feels fine, the plastic feel is a bit jarring because you expect it to be metal. AVRs though are universally used with remote controls so this is just a minor nit.

The back panel has the typical connectors including the single new "8K" capable HDMI Input:

View attachment 76015

The 3700H is lighter than its higher end siblings which I personally appreciated as I lugged it around.

In use, the unit was quite robust, never shutting down no matter how much I pushed its amplification in my standard tests. Other AVRs can be very sensitive, constantly shutting down when pushed, often requiring a power cycle. Not here.

There is a lot of anticipation for this review as I gave its last year mode, the AVR-X3600H my best rating of any AVR tested. Alas, I reviewed that late in its design cycle so availability is very poor. Hope is that this replacement unit doesn't regress in measured performance while adding features. So let's get into that.

Note: Denon engineering was kind enough to review these measurements and confirm that they match their expectations.

AVR DAC Performance
As usual, when we have pre-amplifier output functionality on an AVR, we feed the unit digital 1 kHz perfect sine wave and see what it outputs in analog domain (amplifiers shut off):

View attachment 76021

Ah, that is a sign of relief. SINAD which is the sum of noise and distortion is in the same ballpark of AVR-X3600H:

View attachment 76020

One to two dB difference is to be expected so no cause for concern. I also tested Coax input (not shown) and it had the same performance.

My standardized tests use 2 volts output but since you can't turn off the amplifiers beyond 2 or all channels, let's see what the performance is like for other output levels before the amplifiers clip and drag down the performance of the DAC subsystem:
View attachment 76022

As you see, peak performance with the amplifiers off is around 1.1 volts with SINAD of 101 dB which is excellent for an AVR. With the amps on, you are OK up to 1.4 volt output before it nose dives. So when selecting an external amplifier for channels beyond fronts, make sure it can output its maximum power at or below 1.4 volts (usually specified as "sensitivity").

View attachment 76023

32-tone test signal which simulates "music" shows more intermodulation distortion than the 3600H:
View attachment 76024

index.php

The 3700H though evens the match by producing near perfect linearity (accuracy) score:

View attachment 76025

View attachment 76026

View attachment 76027

Coax/Toslink inputs generate a ton of jitter and spurious sidebands (tones). Levels are very low though so more of a visual distraction than what is audible. HDMI achieves a lower noise floor which indicates the other inputs suffer from random/broadband jitter. However, the HDMI jitter profile is different (blue) showing that better care could be put in there to isolate the DAC from what is around it.

View attachment 76028

The attenuation here is better than what we get in the higher end AVR-X6700H which is an interesting "reversal of fortunes:" (label on graph is wrong -- should say AVR-X6700H)

index.php

Poor attenuation usually makes our broadband distortion+noise versus frequency worse. So good thing the filtering is better in 3700H:

View attachment 76029

Here is a quick test which shows streaming performance to be similar to HDMI/Coax inputs:

View attachment 76044

I have been testing Denon AVR amplifiers using CD input which I have found to not be digitized allowing us to see the true performance the amplifier rather than any processing blocks. Question has been raised as to what happens when you turn on signal processing such as bass management. Here is the answer:

View attachment 76030

The answer is naturally, the AVR will digitize such analog signals the moment you do that. As it should. Fortunately the Pure Direct button overrides that as show in red graph. Digitization is at high sample rate of 96 kHz which is nice. Note that level changes a bit so be careful if you are doing AB tests.

For the rest of these tests I will be using CD input in pure-direct with speakers set to large.

View attachment 76031

Denon once again shows that its amplifiers are above average even though many channels are stuffed in a "mass market" product:

View attachment 76032

View attachment 76034

I wish the dynamic range was 6 dB better to clear CD at 16 bits (which the 3600H achieved):
View attachment 76033

View attachment 76035

Power output versus distortion and noise which is one of the most important metrics into 4 ohm shows respectable results:

View attachment 76036

View attachment 76037

That's good bit of headroom which is nice to have in any amplifier since peaks in music can be momentary.

Switching to 8 ohm load we get to compare our measurements against the company's spec: (label is a typo: should say 3700H)

View attachment 76038

View attachment 76040

This is a bit less tidy than 3600H but still far better than many other amps, specially the switching/Class D ones.

Note that as is typical, power output drops at 20 Hz (orange) which is where you need it most.

There is a shared power supply in all of these AVRs so as you turn on more channels, power you get from each channel drops:

View attachment 76039

Denon & Marantz AVRs tend to run warm especially if used without the ECO mode. The 3700H doesn't get as warm as its larger brothers which is good:

View attachment 76041

Can't figure out why the hot channels are in the middle even though the speaker terminals are all the way to the right. So perhaps that is how they are wired.

Conclusions
What a sigh of relief that the Denon AVR-X3700H performns on par with the later year mode, 3600H. The other "2020 year" Denon AVRs we have tested have had worse performance, leaving the 3600H as the best performing AVR until now. So buy the 3700H with peace of mind knowing that it performs quite well (for an AVR). Of course be mindful of what other features the units above it have which you may want, top of which is more power.

-----------

Get this: money is so tight that I not only have to mow my own lawn, but had to fix the darn riding mower myself!!! Sweating in hot sun, fixed the rusty connections on the solenoid to get it to start reliably. Please rescue me from this misery so I can find other people do such work by donate what you can using : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
I created an account in this forum to respectfully leave my personal opinion because it may, or not, help others:
- I don’t understood all the posted analyses and comments here but they surely sounded really impressive;
- I was inclined to buy a Marantz avr before I did read all these audio/processing technical reviews but I ended buying a Denon X3700H afterwards;
- I had several receivers in my life but I never experienced something so vanilla, so transparent, so nothing;
- I won’t even try to express my frustration in words, impossible. I will just state that I put all my money in something that I wouldn’t accept for free;
- Finally, I decided to proceed with my original plan: I bought a Marantz SR7015 and all the distortion mentioned in this forum sounds like heaven to “my” ears.

Bottom line: always judge what is good or bad for “you” and there is no technical test in the world capable to replace an in loco demo.

Cheers,
Alex

View attachment 76014

View attachment 76015

AVR DAC Performance

View attachment 76021

View attachment 76020

View attachment 76022

View attachment 76023

View attachment 76024

index.php

View attachment 76025

View attachment 76026

View attachment 76027

View attachment 76028

index.php

View attachment 76029

View attachment 76044

View attachment 76030

View attachment 76031

View attachment 76032

View attachment 76034

View attachment 76033

View attachment 76035

View attachment 76036

View attachment 76037

View attachment 76038

View attachment 76040

View attachment 76039

View attachment 76041

Conclusions

-----------

FrankF

Forum Donor
I created an account in this forum to respectfully leave my personal opinion because it may, or not, help others:
- I don’t understood all the posted analyses and comments here but they surely sounded really impressive;
- I was inclined to buy a Marantz avr before I did read all these audio/processing technical reviews but I ended buying a Denon X3700H afterwards;
- I had several receivers in my life but I never experienced something so vanilla, so transparent, so nothing;No
- I won’t even try to express my frustration in words, impossible. I will just state that I put all my money in something that I wouldn’t accept for free;
- Finally, I decided to proceed with my original plan: I bought a Marantz SR7015 and all the distortion mentioned in this forum sounds like heaven to “my” ears.

Bottom line: always judge what is good or bad for “you” and there is no technical test in the world capable to replace an in loco demo.

Cheers,
Alex
Now you need a 9 channel SET tube amp to go with it.:)

Ale Dors

Attachments

• DF07CEDD-C0AF-49D0-8DF7-B9CA4AF15678.png
    DF07CEDD-C0AF-49D0-8DF7-B9CA4AF15678.png
    427.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 42FFEAD3-61D0-494A-A0C2-D3C0DA4596C1.png
    42FFEAD3-61D0-494A-A0C2-D3C0DA4596C1.png
    573.6 KB · Views: 73

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Does anyone have the service manual of this ?
I would like to see if this would be easy to add digital output on this unit.

bigguyca

Does anyone have the service manual of this ?
I would like to see if this would be easy to add digital output on this unit.
With the most simple of Google searches you will find the manual

Assuming we are discussing the Denon X3700H, please do me a favor and run a simple Google search and find a source/link for the service manual for the X3700H.

xovaan

Hey everyone,

I'm finally putting together the "home theater" part of a home theater and receivers are new territory for me and tad overwhelming. o_O Wirecutter recommended the x3700h and I want to make sure it's the right buy for my needs :)

Current setup:
- Nvidia Shield Pro + JDS Atom DAC -> SMSL DA-9 amplifier -> MAOP 11 towers (35 watt speakers)
- Picture fed to a projector (BenQ HT2050A, 1080p@60hz)

I will be building another MAOP 11 center channel and possibly getting a subwoofer or two to go 3.1/2, with the eventual goal of 5.1/2 (I think 7 will be overkill).

Things that interest me:
- Pass-through for stereo listening, unless anyone knows if the 3700 outperforms my current Atom DAC + SMSL DA-9 setup?
- Using the Nvidia Shield Pro as my media hub for Plex, Spotify, etc.
- I also use Nvidia streaming from my PC to my projector. My friends may bring over a console as well

Would the 3700 be overkill?

Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom