• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

rccarguy

Took it to an Authorized Service Center. The network module went bad during the update. The tech said it is a common problem and happens quite a bit when updating firmware. When you think about it, that would be the time when the most stress would be placed on the module

That's why I prefer usb firmware update

Webninja

Forum Donor
Couldn’t find much on this, but I just got my x3700h from Amazon. No damage, double boxed. Set it up in the rack, all good there.

Right surround starts popping during calibration. Odd, check wiring, terminals, try again. Long story short, it’s going back.

I updated all updates, no firmware updates needed. Changed speaker wire banana plugs, and even speakers, always the right surround pop pop pop during calibration and initial turn on.

Amazon refunded, will try again, hopefully it was just an anomaly.

carlos

2 quick question, if anyone cares to share their opinion:
- Anyone expecting a 2021 Denon 6800/4800/3800 or Marantz 6016 to be announced soon-ish?
- Having read Amir's review of the Marantz 6014, do people have the impression Marantz corrected the issues on the 6015 or does Denon still measure better overall?

Thank you!

I'm coming form a NR1606, which unfortunately already had caps replaced because of speaker noise and now has no sound on FL and no SW trigger, so it will have to be replaced. I realized it was underpowered to drive a 5.1 set of B&W607s now, so looking to go full height now that I have the space.

Webninja

Forum Donor
Anyone expecting a 2021 Denon 6800/4800/3800 or Marantz 6016 to be announced soon-ish?

From my research, it seems the general consensus is no new Denons until 2023 models. Even if we get something in 2022, doubt we will see any new models this year.

SynthesisCinema

2 quick question, if anyone cares to share their opinion:
- Anyone expecting a 2021 Denon 6800/4800/3800 or Marantz 6016 to be announced soon-ish?
- Having read Amir's review of the Marantz 6014, do people have the impression Marantz corrected the issues on the 6015 or does Denon still measure better overall?

Thank you!

I'm coming form a NR1606, which unfortunately already had caps replaced because of speaker noise and now has no sound on FL and no SW trigger, so it will have to be replaced. I realized it was underpowered to drive a 5.1 set of B&W607s now, so looking to go full height now that I have the space.

I think the JDSmoothie AVSF "dealer" has said that X2x00 - X4x00 / SR501x - SR701x ranges see new models next summer and X6700H/SR8015 will carry to 2023 if not longer. Not sure what features they would add. Would it be just new hdmi board with more 2.1 connections like competitors has already (Yamaha, Onkyo/Pioneer).

As for the 6015 it won´t be any different as you can see 7015 here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/marantz-sr7015-8k-avr-review.16462/

However most of the "issues" fall under audible range so i don`t think you would hear any difference in real life with XT32 optimized compared to Denon. Pick the one you like best / better price etc.

mike7877

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last week I had some things come up which needed my attention, but I'm free now. For those interested in the measurements I'll be doing of the new 3700 (v2) with substituted DAC, and the first generation 3700 (v1), I'm starting tonight! Installing the software and doing some testing. Yes, v1 has already been measured here. With both receivers done by me, both will be hooked up the same way, in the same place, at the same time, and with the same stuff - eliminating many potential errors. It's better for comparison.

About the listening tests, I can now switch between both receivers in about 0.5 seconds. I have two 2 pole 2 throw 120V/20A switches. I wanted a 4 pole (to switch both speakers with just one flick), and I would have got one if one was available like I was told. But it wasn't so I didn't... :(

Fortunately it's still relatively easy to switch between receivers while having to use two switches:
A toe is used to press the space bar while both switches are flipped at once. The space bar selects "apply" in foobar2000s "preferences" window, effectively changing the "output device" (which is preselected by the operator), with each switch connecting one speaker to the same channel of the other receiver. The operator has the hassle of selecting the other receiver in a drop down menu before switching can occur, but that's life.

On page 70/71 are where all of my posts about testing v1 and v2 are. I've outlined which tests I plan to do. Read them and if anyone wants any other tests done, let me know. To know my limits, the interface I have/will be using for these measurements is an RME Babyface Pro (non-fs version). I can do two channel full power tests at 6 and 4 ohms now, with resistors. And full power tests through 8 ohm two way sealed box speakers with tones above 150hz (short term ~5 seconds above 2khz). Important note, I must return v1 by September 15th, so the sooner, the better!! :D

Edit: about the listening tests, it's unfortunate that a switch has to be in between the 3700 and the speakers, but it shouldn't affect the comparison. The switches are brand new and clean, and rated for 20 amps. The effect it has on the sound will be will be very, very small, and both receivers will be affected the same way and the same amount. Since I'm comparing the receivers, the differences should still be the same. We'll compare with and without switches to be sure

Last edited:

Epos7

Is it worth buying one of these refurbished from Accessories 4 Less? It seems these launched at $999 but are now priced at $1499. My main concern with the refurbished units is if they would have the HDMI 2.1 fix applied.

edit - I spoke with Accessories 4 Less and they can't guarantee a newer version with the HDMI fix. They do claim there is functionally no difference between the updated version and the old version using the free adapter.

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
From my experience refurb Denon 3700/4700 are not worth the risk. Mine broke in a few months and took 3 months to get a replacement as Denon certified service was unable to repair it. I would suggest buying a new unit or don't buy one at all. Refurb Denon receivers are too easily broken in transit and refurbs are shipped a lot more than a new unit.

Epos7

Good to know, thanks. My last AVR purchase was a refurb Marantz, and it had some issues pop up in the first year. Marantz fixed it for free (I was able to take it to a local shop) and it was trouble free for 10 years after that, until the optical port started malfunctioning last week. I'm no longer in a city with local repair shops available, so it's probably safer to avoid the refurb units. I also called a couple Denon dealers and it seems they can be had new for the same price as a refurb, so it's a moot point.

Epos7

Last week I had some things come up which needed my attention, but I'm free now. For those interested in the measurements I'll be doing of the new 3700 (v2) with substituted DAC, and the first generation 3700 (v1), I'm starting tonight!

Very interested in your results! I'm about to pull the trigger on a 3700 but I'd like to see your results before I do.

edit - well I pulled the trigger on one anyway. Still very interested in your results :)

Last edited:

Mikythebad

Hi all !

Which is the best avr between the denon X3600h, x3700h and x4700h for in use with external amps (ncore nc 250mp, 252mp and 502mp) in 5.2 stuff) ?
Denon x3700/x4700 have the preamp mode, but the denon x3600h seems to be better without this mode.

What do you think ?

Overall, the denon x3600 let me the case of i need 2 or more channels with internal amp (atmos maybe) in the further.

Denon 3600 :
1631276909295.png

Denon x3700h :
1631276979376.png

The denon x3600h seems to be better with internal amps on than the denon x3700h in preamp mode (interal amps off).
The denon x3600h with internal amps on permit pair of atmos speaker or other in the further with good performances am i right ?

Thank you

Webninja

Forum Donor
Amazon refunded, will try again, hopefully it was just an anomaly.

Took a few weeks, but the replacement x3700h was installed last night, all channels working. Didn’t notice any improvements in sound (didn’t expect to) as I replaced an older Marantz. But now I have enough processing for my 11 channels.

Next up, subs!

Epos7

My X3700H arrived yesterday. As Amir mentioned, the dials feel cheap and plasticky. My volume dial even wobbles when you turn it.

Other that that setup was fairly painless. I did the Audyssey EQ with the included mic.

What basic functions should I test to make sure I didn't get a lemon. I'm only using L + R currently, but I imagine I should test all the other channels. What is the easiest way to do this?

Webninja

Forum Donor
The denon x3600h with internal amps on permit pair of atmos speaker or other in the further with good performances am i right ?

I’m not 100% sure for the 3600, but the 3700 will process 11 channels and 2 subs. The catch is, if it’s used as a pre-amp you really have 3 options.

1. All channels to external amps
2 . Front-Left and Front-Right to external amps
3. One pair of Atmos to external amps

I do not think you can run a mix match of internal and external amps unless you get the 8500.

My opinion on the quality between 3600/3700/4700 is you wouldn’t hear it as they are all close.

Webninja

Forum Donor
My X3700H arrived yesterday. As Amir mentioned, the dials feel cheap and plasticky. My volume dial even wobbles when you turn it.

Other that that setup was fairly painless. I did the Audyssey EQ with the included mic.

What basic functions should I test to make sure I didn't get a lemon. I'm only using L + R currently, but I imagine I should test all the other channels. What is the easiest way to do this?

I noticed a bad rear surround, but only when doing levels (tone test) and Audyssey. I think you at least need to try each channel

jgiannakas

I’m not 100% sure for the 3600, but the 3700 will process 11 channels and 2 subs. The catch is, if it’s used as a pre-amp you really have 3 options.

1. All channels to external amps
2 . Front-Left and Front-Right to external amps
3. One pair of Atmos to external amps

I do not think you can run a mix match of internal and external amps unless you get the 8500.

My opinion on the quality between 3600/3700/4700 is you wouldn’t hear it as they are all close.

yes you can run any number and any channel with an external amp. The catch is to make sure your external amp can deliver full power at 1.4V input or less.

Benedium

Forum Donor

If you purchased the optional multi eq editor app, you can calibrate the avr for just L+R/stereo speakers first.

Then add more speakers and do the calibration with the app again so you have 2 different calibration files.

You can then send the relevant file to the avr for the setup with the relevant numbers of speakers.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yes you can run any number and any channel with an external amp. The catch is to make sure your external amp can deliver full power at 1.4V input or less.

I don't think we should tell people that without other considerations. It may be true (more or less) if one wants to have the pre out SINAD at its peak performance, to keep their Denon AVRs at 1.4 to 1.5 V maximum when driving their power amps to their rated output, but then one has to consider the following, based on the SINAD vs measured level graphs:

AVR-X3700H
At 1.411 V, SINAD: 100.658 dB
At 1.7 V, SINAD: 78 dB (approx.) Note: This may not even be the limiting factor for some power amps measured on ASR.
At 2 V, SINAD: 76 dB (approx.)

SR7015
At 0.736 V, SINAD: 95 dB (Approx.)
At 1.4 V, SINAD: 86 dB (Approx.)
At 2 V, SINAD: 76 dB (Approx.)

So I hope we are not going to say to the owners of the Marantz SR7015 to make sure their ext. amp. can deliver full power at 0.736 V or even less. Same should apply to owners of some Anthem MRX models or Arcam, NAD, even Arcam's.

It depends on the level of SINAD the user is willing to accept. Some seem to have no concerns with even 53 dB SINAD, just ask some owners of the NAD T758V3.:D That's just an extreme example to make my point.

Webninja

Forum Donor

But, you don’t get the internal amps to turn off unless you use all external amps. I believe the 8500 can do the mix match of internal amps off per channel, but none of the lower model Denon do this.

Top Bottom