• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

Yany

So which speaker setup to use for config like that? There is full preamp mode - in this setup it will disconnect all internal amps. Then you can use 11.2 mode and assign fronts to external amps - in this case all internal amps will stay powered on, right? Will you still get signal to preouts for other speakers in this mode? So it's either all or nothing speaking of powering internal amps.

Fruttello

Hi all, new member here with a couple of questions for proud AVR/AVC-X3700H owners:
1) did you experience any of the flaky HDMI handshake issues with 4K sources some reviews are complaining about? If yes, how did you cope?
2) could anybody post an actual pic of a x3700H with the top cover removed? I am really curious about the power transformer / amp heath sink setup.

Thanks a lot, take care

circumstances

Hi all, new member here with a couple of questions for proud AVR/AVC-X3700H owners:
1) did you experience any of the flaky HDMI handshake issues with 4K sources some reviews are complaining about? If yes, how did you cope?
2) could anybody post an actual pic of a x3700H with the top cover removed? I am really curious about the power transformer / amp heath sink setup.

Thanks a lot, take care

I have two displays (one tv, one projector).

I don't have anything 4K (yet), but I get some HDMI nonsense about 30% of the time (pink screen), where I have to switch inputs to get it to cooperate. I'm coping with (very) minor annoyance.

uncrx2003

Just want to ask a dumb question about setting up the 3700 with 5.1.2 + zone 2. Currently, I have the 2113 with SVS 5.1 in the living room + 2 outdoor on the deck with zone 2. Just received the 3700 and planning on switching over this coming Monday. I just installed 2 rear ceiling mount atmos to the living room to make it into 5.1.2. It's probably not much difference to connect the front L/C/R speakers to the receiver. How do I connect the 2 atmos and the zone 2 speakers on the back of the receiver? Zone 2 speakers to the surround back? The amos to the Height2?

Thanks

Dan1210

I have had a few emails and questions regarding this result today :)

Some general comments, you shouldnt use a RCA to XLR adaptor like this.

View attachment 76577

Any noise currents flowing in the RCA screen will be seen by the amp. This is why we dont fit RCA inputs on our amps. You have to use a cable wired as below.

View attachment 76579
Fig 3 from Hypex guidence notes

With this configuration the XLR screen is terminated at the far RCA source end. Noise currents flow in the shield wire and not the signal conductors eliminating ground loop based noise issues. Our RCA to XLR cables are configured this way as are the mentioned Benchmark ones.

Secondly it should be noted the Hypex/Purifi speaker outputs are ground referenced. As such from a measurement perspective it is possible to get noise problems and the AP balanced input should have the same cable config as shown above to again make sure ground currents flow in the shield and not the signal conductors.

We often use (as do our customers) RCA single ended sources with our Hypex and Purifi amps and dont hear or measure any noise issues.
I’m looking to buy a Nord 3 channel Hypex mp to partner with the Denon 3700, the Nord has both xlr and rca, would I be better off buying a Hypex amplifier with xlr only to avoid this problem?

RC231

Basically set on ordering one of these to replace my slowly dying B&K AVR202 as I need a new streaming box and the cheap dayton I tried doesn't work with the B&K. Any leads on where to buy for less than MSRP? I am in the Boston area but will be in the NYC area later this month. Would prefer to buy delivered but open to in store for a better price.

circumstances

Basically set on ordering one of these to replace my slowly dying B&K AVR202 as I need a new streaming box and the cheap dayton I tried doesn't work with the B&K. Any leads on where to buy for less than MSRP? I am in the Boston area but will be in the NYC area later this month. Would prefer to buy delivered but open to in store for a better price.
Have you checked out the AVR deals thread over on AVS Forum? That's where I got the info to buy mine.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/receiver-amp-and-processors-deals-thread.2911956/

RC231

AVS deals forum pointed me to website greentoe which seems legit based on reviews. Based on the AVS thread I offered $900 and have a counter at $950 shipped. I am guessing this is going to be the best price I will find on one of these when they are hard to get.

circumstances

AVS deals forum pointed me to website greentoe which seems legit based on reviews. Based on the AVS thread I offered $900 and have a counter at $950 shipped. I am guessing this is going to be the best price I will find on one of these when they are hard to get.
Sounds like a good deal.

I asked ABT to match a deal I saw in the AVS thread and they did. Never greentoe'd.

seaverd

Sounds like a good deal.

I asked ABT to match a deal I saw in the AVS thread and they did. Never greentoe'd.

I am also following the AVS deals forum. Based on that the x3700 is $950 and the x4700 is only $250 more.

My current receiver is a Denon AVR-3300 and I am talking about the pre HDMI AVR-3300 from late 1999 or 2000. I am running a 5.1 setup with an external Emotiva LPA-1 Amp driving the 5 channels. Speakers are Emotiva T2 Towers, C2 Center and two E2 Surrounds. Will be expanding the number of speakers at some point.

Based on my setup and the fact that I clearly keep my receivers for a long time, which processor do you recommend?

Thanks!

circumstances

I am also following the AVS deals forum. Based on that the x3700 is $950 and the x4700 is only $250 more.

My current receiver is a Denon AVR-3300 and I am talking about the pre HDMI AVR-3300 from late 1999 or 2000. I am running a 5.1 setup with an external Emotiva LPA-1 Amp driving the 5 channels. Speakers are Emotiva T2 Towers, C2 Center and two E2 Surrounds. Will be expanding the number of speakers at some point.

Based on my setup and the fact that I clearly keep my receivers for a long time, which processor do you recommend?

Thanks!

I can't remember the exact differences between the 3700 and the 4700.

I am also running 5.1 and also using an external amp (Anthem MCA 50), so I just needed a preamp.

Whatever the differences were, I didn't need them and bought the 3700.

There's a great thread on AVS Forum by jdsmoothie that clearly spells out the differences between the models.

Read through it and make your choice.

rccarguy

I can't remember the exact differences between the 3700 and the 4700.

I am also running 5.1 and also using an external amp (Anthem MCA 50), so I just needed a preamp.

Whatever the differences were, I didn't need them and bought the 3700.

There's a great thread on AVS Forum by jdsmoothie that clearly spells out the differences between the models.

Read through it and make your choice.

Al32
Auro3d
Bit more power
Two line display

eduardw

Forum Donor
I just ordered the 3700h as replacement of my marantz 7005. I hope to get it by the end of the month. I will use it in preamp mode. Need to make a decision for which 3 channel purifi solution I will order maybe I wait a bit for the more powerful future models. Surround channels will be powered by 2 17 year old stereo Ice amps.

hipis_1

Lots of technical stuff in previous posts. I'm gonna to buy my first receiver so that's why I'm not in the business. There is DENON AVR-X3600H and X3700H. I found also Pioneer VSX-LX304 and Marantz SR6014. My question is quite simple. If AVR-X3700H will be good for cd music in stereo, dvd/dvdaudio and SACD in 5.1 and bluray/Netflix in 5.1 or 5.1.2/5.1.4? Is it worth buying? I need to buy something quite universal and not for $$$$$.
I have old DENON DVD-1930 with dvdaudio and SACD reading.

rccarguy

Lots of technical stuff in previous posts. I'm gonna to buy my first receiver so that's why I'm not in the business. There is DENON AVR-X3600H and X3700H. I found also Pioneer VSX-LX304 and Marantz SR6014. My question is quite simple. If AVR-X3700H will be good for cd music in stereo, dvd/dvdaudio and SACD in 5.1 and bluray/Netflix in 5.1 or 5.1.2/5.1.4? Is it worth buying? I need to buy something quite universal and not for $$$$$.
I have old DENON DVD-1930 with dvdaudio and SACD reading.

A few Denon avr owners have reported they're not very good for two channel hifi, so use a stereo integrated amp for left/right and two channel duties.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A few Denon avr owners have reported they're not very good for two channel hifi, so use a stereo integrated amp for left/right and two channel duties.
Do you mean just a stereo amp? It doesn’t seem at all necessary to have a separate integrated amp as the x3700 seems much better than most integrated amp dacs. Amps are also pretty good in the 3700 to but can be improved on of course with something hyper based amp or monoprice monolith.

rccarguy

Do you mean just a stereo amp? It doesn’t seem at all necessary to have a separate integrated amp as the x3700 seems much better than most integrated amp dacs. Amps are also pretty good in the 3700 to but can be improved on of course with something hyper based amp or monoprice monolith.

Just repeating what Denon avr owners have said...

From my own experience avr are not great for hifi, even my decent av pre amp is beaten by a dac/analogue stereo pre amp

hipis_1

I won't buy two boxes with 5.1.4 speakers. Too expensive. I like music but I'm not audiophile. Of course I don't want to buy bad amp but I have to start somehow.

nick-v

I'm currently using a Denon AVR-X3700H with the internal amps to power my JBL Synthesis HDI-3800 towers and I must say it sounds pretty darn good. I will be adding a Roon Ready streaming DAC and Preamp with HT Bypass & at least 2 channels of Purifi or Ncore power at some point (and I do believe there is some amount of performance & sound quality gain to be had by doing that) but the receiver sounds pretty good on it's own, even for music.

The last iterations of my hybrid HT/2 Channel system used a Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 and before that an Esoteric SA-50 DAC/SACD Player, miniDSP DDRC-22D Dirac Live digital-digital processor, Wyred4Sound STP-SE Preamp and Krell KAV-250a/3 power amp (for reference).

hipis_1

I'm currently using a Denon AVR-X3700H with the internal amps to power my JBL Synthesis HDI-3800 towers and I must say it sounds pretty darn good.
So you have much more expensive speakers than my 5.1.2 I want to buy but It's good to know you like stereo from this Denon :).

Top Bottom