• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey guys!

Hey guys! I'm an owner of a Denon X3400h and I'm thinking if it's worth upgrade to X3700h.

My setup is Denon X3400h paired with an Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier, a pair of KEF R300 in front, a KEF R600c as center, pair of KEF Q50A as atmos and pair of Monitor Audio Silver FX as surround, while the TV is an LG OLED CX.

My main use (50/50) is watch movies/tv show using apple tv (streaming or locally using infuse) and gaming with playstation 5 and pc (hdmi 2.1).

I'm asking that because I don't know what benefits I can get upgrading from an x3400h to an x3700h considering that I use the Emotiva XPA-5 as an amplifier.

If you could help I'll really appreciate.

Thanks!
Are there any particular feature the 3700 has that you need?

Trell

Major Contributor
Hey guys!

Hey guys! I'm an owner of a Denon X3400h and I'm thinking if it's worth upgrade to X3700h.

My setup is Denon X3400h paired with an Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier, a pair of KEF R300 in front, a KEF R600c as center, pair of KEF Q50A as atmos and pair of Monitor Audio Silver FX as surround, while the TV is an LG OLED CX.

My main use (50/50) is watch movies/tv show using apple tv (streaming or locally using infuse) and gaming with playstation 5 and pc (hdmi 2.1).

I'm asking that because I don't know what benefits I can get upgrading from an x3400h to an x3700h considering that I use the Emotiva XPA-5 as an amplifier.

Thanks!
If you’re happy with the 3400 just keep it.

redstang

Hey guys!

Thanks!
I have the X3700H and I also use Emotiva amps and am therefore also using the receiver in pre-amp mode.

I use this site to do comparisons:

To me, the only significant difference would be if you are really looking to move from 7.2 to 9.2 or 11.2. Maybe someone else will chime in that did that exact upgrade and provide a different opinion, but I would be surprised if you heard much of a difference if any after upgrading. Unless there's anything else in that list of differences that you really need (like the enhanced video stuff or phono input) it doesn't look worthwhile to me. I don't game, so maybe the slightly better video stuff will help there? I don't know.

I upgraded to the X3700H from a 6 year old Yamaha 7.2 receiver (also used as pre-amp with the Emotiva amps). I did some a/b comparisons with those two receivers (both thru the amps) listening to stereo music and it was very hard to pick out differences even between those two (quite different) receivers. And that's with music. I think it would have been impossible with a movie soundtrack. I can only imagine how hard it would be to hear anything different between those Denons. So unless you have money to burn and just have the itch to upgrade I don't think it would be worth it.

In my case, I actually wasn't even looking to upgrade, but my $250 Denon receiver in my small 5.1 system in the upstairs family room sort of died (the HDMI input stopped working) so I just moved the Yamaha up there and decided to get something new. The X3700H was the cheapest receiver I could find with full pre-outs, so that's what I ended up going with. Bonus that it has 11 channel processing if I ever put Dolby Atmos speakers in.

N1ck

After buying and flipping several amps/receivers including Lexicon processors, Linn power amps and a whole range of Denon AVRs spanning several years, I’m very much of the opinion that there is very little difference in sound produced by them. By the cheapest AVR (within reason) that has the features you need and spend the rest on speakers.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
After buying and flipping several amps/receivers including Lexicon processors, Linn power amps and a whole range of Denon AVRs spanning several years, I’m very much of the opinion that there is very little difference in sound produced by them. By the cheapest AVR (within reason) that has the features you need and spend the rest on speakers.
It has been many years since my last Lexicon - but at the time, Logic7 definitely provided the best alternative for listening to stereo music...

Did you do any comparisons based on just Music?

N1ck

Yes, and came to similar conclusions. I became a bit ocd with it all as I was convinced it must be me not doing something right, after all, magazines in the UK such as Whathifi said there significant improvements to be had, right? I had spent a lot of money when I was younger with this becoming my hobby. Most disposable income would go on upgrades so I was desperate to hear big improvements.

This led me on the path of upgrading cables, isolation feet, room positioning, infinite attempts at different speaker toe in angles, isolating the electronics etc. The only significant, discernible darn difference came from upgrading speakers and changing the room.

N1ck

It has been many years since my last Lexicon - but at the time, Logic7 definitely provided the best alternative for listening to stereo music...

Did you do any comparisons based on just Music?
What was your experience when comparing higher end electronics?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
What was your experience when comparing higher end electronics?
Once you get to a certain level with electronics you don't gain much if anything beyond. Diminishing returns with exponentially increasing prices, lead to massive levels of confirmation bias.

There are gains to be had in speakers, and room / speaker interactions. Also matching amps to speakers, and we are seeing developments in active room correction... this will be an interesting paradigm shift.

But really, electronics non linearity is at sub 0.05% levels, where speakers average around 1.5%... that's where the improvements are to be found!

Loved my long gone quad electrostatics, but they were too overwhelming for the wife... so compromised on Gallo reference speakers, which have been very good. But they led down a path searching for an appropriate amp to drive their low impedance load ( 1.6 ohm )... which made a difference.

soberego

Hi all,

I Hope all is well.
I have been having an issue with Airplay and this AVR.
When my Iphone streams to it, the sound alternates, crackles while another phone can connect through Bluetooth and works just fine (so does my turntable and appleTV), I also tested my phone with another speaker and all is good.
So I assume it’s an Airplay issue but I cannot narrow down where to start. Perhaps a new firmware rolled out ? Is there a diagnosis tool I can run ?

I realize this is not a troubleshooting thread so I apologize in advance if I did not route it properly.

Best,

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all,

I Hope all is well.
I have been having an issue with Airplay and this AVR.
When my Iphone streams to it, the sound alternates, crackles while another phone can connect through Bluetooth and works just fine (so does my turntable and appleTV), I also tested my phone with another speaker and all is good.
So I assume it’s an Airplay issue but I cannot narrow down where to start. Perhaps a new firmware rolled out ? Is there a diagnosis tool I can run ?

I realize this is not a troubleshooting thread so I apologize in advance if I did not route it properly.

Best,
There was a firmware update so I would check that. I ran AirPlay on the 3700H without issues.

- Rich

middlemarch

Forum Donor
Interesting with regard to Airplay, I've seen a similar issue with my 6700 (probably similar front end electronics). Clean as a whistle with the ATV and over HDMI through the front panel, but crackling with airplay direct to the receiver. Never experienced this with my older 5200. In my case it's worse when airplaying from my laptop (16" M1 Macbook Pro). So I've resolved it by just using Airplay to the Apple TV, works fine that way. Suspect some weird wifi issue, it's not consistent, sometimes works fine.

DwightShrute

Hi all, was sold on the x3700h from all your valuable help. Thank you. With regard to Amir's measured sample rate I see speakers set to large gives us no digitization and 150+ kHz, and small gives us 96kHz. This is Denon's bass management, right? Not Audessey? So, Introducing Audessey's dynamic EQ likely compresses to 48kHz across the board unless L/R bypass is selected, in which case, you could pull 150+ kHz with large and 96kHz with small out the front L and R while surrounds and bass still getting the Audessey treatment?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all, was sold on the x3700h from all your valuable help. Thank you. With regard to Amir's measured sample rate I see speakers set to large gives us no digitization and 150+ kHz, and small gives us 96kHz. This is Denon's bass management, right? Not Audessey? So, Introducing Audessey's dynamic EQ likely compresses to 48kHz across the board unless L/R bypass is selected, in which case, you could pull 150+ kHz with large and 96kHz with small out the front L and R while surrounds and bass still getting the Audessey treatment?

There is no compression, just downsampling if Audyssey is used. If you don't want downsampling then you should use direct mode. Why do you worry about 48 kHz? At that sampling frequently, there is no loss of info below 24 kHz. Few adults can hear anything pass 20 kHz.

DwightShrute

There is no compression, just downsampling if Audyssey is used. If you don't want downsampling then you should use direct mode. Why do you worry about 48 kHz? At that sampling frequently, there is no loss of info below 24 kHz. Few adults can hear anything pass 20 kHz.
Thanks. Nothing beats pairing knowledge with experience, so i like to try stuff out. I guess i want to know what's happening behind the scenes to give me a response i like or not. Direct mode sounds rubbish

Ruspamen

Good evening, if I set the denon in direct mode, does the bass management deactivate or remain active? Thanks

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Nothing beats pairing knowledge with experience, so i like to try stuff out. I guess i want to know what's happening behind the scenes to give me a response i like or not. Direct mode sounds rubbish

I don't use direct mode because I prefer to have RC (whether it is DL, Audy, or ARCG) on, but if your speakers do well in your room, direct mode could, and may just sound better to you. As you said, "try stuff out."

GrumpE1

Hello, and thanks to all who've posted. A X3700 was had based upon the info found here and it's been a delight. However, a quirk (for lack of a better term) was recently found.

Choosing Virtual in the audio mode menu yields Mono and vice-versa.

I'm a fan of some very old movies, pre WWII releases. Some of these come with the original mono audio track, and while watching one of these... I thought to see if the audio sounded better with the Denon set to Mono as opposed to Multi Channel Stereo. (the audio was particularly atrocious) The above stated situation was found.

As the unit went in for repair (UPS brutalized the unit during shipment), this quirk was mentioned to the Tech. He didn't know what to make of it, but verified it was the 3700 and not my remote.

I am curious to ask if anyone else experienced this?

GrumpE1

Answered my own question...lol Back to the manual, and re-read all that wasn't retained at the initial set-up. Mono isn't monaural output, and is a sudo surround creation much like virtual setting. Setting to Mono is telling the AVR that there's a single channel signal being input. Seems my old brain defaulted back 20+ years to when the mono setting meant the same signal output to both speakers. Anyway, back to the manual now to see what else...

AudioExplorer

I have a question on the voltage at the preamp outputs at various volume levels. From Amir's review, the rms voltage is 2 volts with the volume setting at 82.5. So, if the volume is raised above that level, say to 90 dB, does the output voltage at the preamp outputs rise as well or is the increased output only available for channels connected to the internal amplifiers? If the output does rise, then does it mean that when using the receiver with an external amp rated for inputs upto 2 volts, the volume on the receivers should not be raised above 82.5?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a question on the voltage at the preamp outputs at various volume levels. From Amir's review, the rms voltage is 2 volts with the volume setting at 82.5.
That is only when he used 0 dBFS input level. Music signal level is not going to be at a fixed level. It could be 0 V, or much higher than 2 V at 82.5 volume setting, depending on the music signal level.
So, if the volume is raised above that level, say to 90 dB, does the output voltage at the preamp outputs rise as well
Yes, at any given input level, the pre out voltage will rise as you increase the volume setting, until the pre out reaches it's rated maximum and started to "clip", and/or the unit might trigger the protection system and would shut down.
or is the increased output only available for channels connected to the internal amplifiers?
No, internal amps connected or not, the pre out voltage will increase with the volume setting increase regardless, as long as there is input signal.
If the output does rise, then does it mean that when using the receiver with an external amp rated for inputs upto 2 volts, the volume on the receivers should not be raised above 82.5?
In general, power amps, external or internal, should be able to take input voltage much higher than 2 V. If you keep raising the volume setting, the power amp will sound distorted and may shutdown by the protection system. At what volume setting that happens, will depend on multiple factors, one being the input level.

Top Bottom