• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3600H AV Receiver Review

Todd74

As a general rule Amir covers shipping to you. So if you are ordering it and get free shipping, there would be no cost to you. And yes it would be really great info if you were able to get it sent to Amir for testing.
If I can get A4Less to change the shipping address before it goes out, I’ll do it. I had to hurry up and pull the trigger before the offer expired.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well as for Denon avr sound quality for hifi, about three people on other forums owners of 3600 and 4500 say they're lousy for hifi, and either getting or have a stereo interegrated amp for better 2ch.

It doesn't get much more meaningless than this. Same folks might also think expensive cables sound better, etc etc. Measurements, along with accurate testing, easily disprove such meaningless, subjective, heavily biased opinions.

Ucftechguru

Forum Donor
If I can get A4Less to change the shipping address before it goes out, I’ll do it. I had to hurry up and pull the trigger before the offer expired.

‘Great purchase, that’s a great price for the 6014. I bought the 6013 for that price a couple months ago. I hope A4L lets you change the address so we can all see how it performs. It coulcerative really proves Denon & Marantz changes in 2019 have led to premier performance across their product line. That could help A4L. Let them know there’s a lot of people on this forum watching and hoping they have good customer service.

Todd74

‘Great purchase, that’s a great price for the 6014. I bought the 6013 for that price a couple months ago.
Thanks, UCFtg. I grabbed a Refurb 6013 for $699 a few months ago as well, but it died within 3 weeks, hence being offered the 6014 now for $899 after some exchanged unpleasantries, lol.

Did you get a fan for your 6013?
I hope A4L lets you change the address so we can all see how it performs. It coulcerative really proves Denon & Marantz changes in 2019 have led to premier performance across their product line. That could help A4L. Let them know there’s a lot of people on this forum watching and hoping they have good customer service.
Will do. ;)
I think the owner, Mark, and his small team have perhaps been dealing with higher-problematic refurbs for so long that it’s desensitized them to buyers’ concerns and frustrations/emotions, but in the end I was taken care of, and my return shipping for the comatose 6013 was free, so.

Last edited:

rccarguy

It doesn't get much more meaningless than this. Same folks might also think expensive cables sound better, etc etc. Measurements, along with accurate testing, easily disprove such meaningless, subjective, heavily biased opinions.

Measurements verify how well it performs but that doesn't have correlation if you like the sound. Ideally I'd want all avr and av pre to have a equally passing grade, then go and demo a few brands.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Measurements verify how well it performs but that doesn't have correlation if you like the sound. Ideally I'd want all avr and av pre to have a equally passing grade, then go and demo a few brands.
It does have correlation under accurate listening conditions. Uncontrolled subjective listening allows the imagination to play a large role. I for one(and likely most on this site), don't want to base purchase decisions based on my imagination.

Todd74

So I won’t be able to ship the 6014 to be tested, for reasons discussed with Amir.... but I did send a lengthy email to the owner of A4Less detailing the consumer mentality here, what ASR is all about, and how it would benefit his business to ship off a refurb 6014 to be tested.

Heck, maybe I should just post the entire email here. Maybe Mark knowing that this site has read it will further encourage him to assist our endeavor.
You know what though— it would probably be in A4Less’s best interest to ship a refurb Marantz 6014 to Amir to get performance tested.

Not only would it earn you brownie points with that site [which has a TON of members & readers], but it would also help you to move your 6014’s and do so at a higher margin if it tests out close to as well as its stellar X3600 brother, bc most of the AudioScienceReview members/readers’ purchases are shaped by Amir’s bench tests, as he has access to incredibly expensive measurement equipment that some manufacturers don’t even have. Because of how poorly many of these AVRs are surprisingly testing, including the expensive ones, many of the readers/members are abstaining from buying anything that Amir hasn’t tested. Shockingly enough, the thousand dollar X3600 has virtually blown everything else away and has basically set the standard for what consumers want. But the 3600 can’t be found anymore; the 6014, however, can be. So you’d be able to sell a bunch of 6014’s to everyone unable to get a 3600.... and then could sell more 6014’s to those who can’t spend $1200 on a new 3700 and would want a 6014 refurb instead.

Not to mention, if the 6014 can test well, more people will be buying it new around the country, which then opens the door for increased refurb units, which people will gobble up from you.

Same would apply to the Denon 4000 line and Marantz 7000 line since those haven’t been tested yet either, and there are ASR readers salivating over the chance to get something that performs as well as the 3600 but has more power and possibly more features. It would give your consumers more reason to purchase the 4000/7000’s from you rather than scouring the internet for 3600’s and 3700’s. I’m sure you’ve lost business just bc of running out of 3600 stock and people preferring to either buy one at full price or wait on a new 3700 than to buy other stuff at a discount that hasn’t been bench-tested yet.

yakman

Forum Donor
Joined as a happy owner of the AVX3600H, became a donor for the knowledge obtained here.

Glad to report, you don't need 11.1 physical speaker to enable the amp disconnect for Front LR.
Just set it to 11.1 channel mode in Amp Assign, floor to 5+SB, then you enabled the pre out on LR
In the speaker setup, change all the other speaker to NONE if not physically in your system
I also set the ECO to be Auto.

Last edited:

BsdKurt

Forum Donor
So I won’t be able to ship the 6014 to be tested, for reasons discussed with Amir.... but I did send a lengthy email to the owner of A4Less detailing the consumer mentality here, what ASR is all about, and how it would benefit his business to ship off a refurb 6014 to be tested.

Heck, maybe I should just post the entire email here. Maybe Mark knowing that this site has read it will further encourage him to assist our endeavor.
Hi Todd74, Thanks for reaching out to A4Less to try to get them to send a unit for testing.

The x3600h @Amir tested was from A4Less. When I purchased it, I set the shipping address to Amir’s home. If I recall correctly, I needed to fill out an extra form since the shipping address wasn’t my cc billing address. I presume a majority of member supplied new equipment is done in this way (Just shipping directly to Amir).

miike888

(Long time lurker; finally got around to creating an account...)

I was already thinking about taking a risk on a SR6014 as a substitute for the seemingly unattainable X3600H. I have no problem sending it to @amirm first—I'll reach out and see if that works.

Hi!

that would be awesome!:)

Ucftechguru

Forum Donor
(Long time lurker; finally got around to creating an account...)

I was already thinking about taking a risk on a SR6014 as a substitute for the seemingly unattainable X3600H. I have no problem sending it to @amirm first—I'll reach out and see if that works.

Did anyone send Amir a Marantz 6014 to test yet? If not, I am buying one but need Amir’s address to send it to him. If I get his address, it should arrive early next week.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did anyone send Amir a Marantz 6014 to test yet? If not, I am buying one but need Amir’s address to send it to him. If I get his address, it should arrive early next week.
Just send him a PM to start a conversation with him to arrange it. It would be a great one to test.

w1000i

Forum Donor
@amirm Can you test the Bi-amp function in AVRs for the future.
It promise more power. especially for 9 and 11 channel AVR it is exciting to us the extra output to power the front speakers

rccarguy

@amirm Can you test the Bi-amp function in AVRs for the future.
It promise more power. especially for 9 and 11 channel AVR it is exciting to us the extra output to power the front speakers

Considering it's a shared PSU I doubt very much a huge difference.

rccarguy

Since it shares the same PSU, no. Try and find benchtest with AVR with single channel and bi-amping method.

Ideal biamping would be using two tototally seperate two channel power amplifiers, or four monoblocs. I bi-amp my stereo system. Used to biamp my home cinema but number of boxes was getting absurd so went back to single channel powering.

tparm

Forum Donor
A few quotes from knowledgeable folks from a questions I asked on another thread about bi-amping:

"As another reminder, just because there are two amps in use with the AVR's bi-amp mode, there is really no additional power being provided as the speakers will draw whatever power they need to reach the volume level you have selected from the single power supply in the AVR. Also because the same exact single is being passed by each set of amps, this is another reason why there is no real benefit for using the AVR's bi-amp mode. Rather instead, you would be better served using separate dedicated amps along with external dynamic crossovers for truly more effective "bi-amping.""

"Don't forget that when you use a receiver to bi-amp, the bi-amped audio channels are still limited by the receiver's single, shared power supply. That's one reason why a separate external amp is recommended for each speaker driver."

Top Bottom