• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3600H AV Receiver Review

rccarguy

Denon 3600 is £700 anthem is £3800. 5.5 X more expensive.

Considering av moves on so quickly, it's stupid to spend so much on avr or AV amp, hdmi spec changes makes older gear obselete and worthless, and almost unsellable.

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
MRX1120 is 5 years old. Arc does time alignment with the STR series, pretty sure the new AVR models will do as well. Don't know about subs.
Anyways Denon might work for many, just it doesn't work for me.
I have hypex amps so in my scenario (I need to integrate my stereo system with HT) I need 2,5V outs and only for 2 channels (maybe 3 if I add another amp for center).

Last edited:

simple6

Forum Donor
MRX1120 is 5 years old. Arc does time alignment with the STR series, pretty sure the new AVR models will do as well. Don't know about subs.
Anyways Denon might work for many, just it doesn't work for me.
I have hypex amps so in my scenario (I need to integrate my stereo system with HT) I need 2,5V outs and only for 2 channels (maybe 3 if I add another amp for center).

3600 is clean up to 4v apparently--> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...h-av-receiver-review.12676/page-3#post-376142

(for the two fronts)

dwkdnvr

Potentially a semi-ot question, but does anyone know how much of a 'family resemblance' the Denon gear has as you go up the chain? Is it valid to think that since the X3600H measures pretty decently, that the X1600H will share some genes? Or is there enough variation in construction/components across the models that you really can't make any assumptions?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Or is there enough variation in construction/components across the models that you really can't make any assumptions?
Don't make assumptions. But you can decide for yourself. First, find the 'overhead view' of the internals. Do the two models look similar? Or does one have a single 'aluminum foil' heatsink and the transformer directly under a PC board, while the other has a thick extruded heatsink, and isolated transformer?

Next, download the Service Manuals for both. Learn to read Schematics so you can compare various stages, at least the power output stages. Cross-reference components. Look up the ratings. Compare 'rail voltages'.. etc.

Most likely there are HOWTOs out there giving you a step by step. Perhaps other members knowing these will post links?

BsdKurt

Forum Donor
For the two fronts, when they are disconnected from the amps by setting the amp into 11 channel mode and assigning the fronts to pre-out you get clean up to 4v on those two channels only - the rest of the pre-outs clip at around 1.5v.

The x3700h is able to do the above setup as well where fronts are set to pre-out, the remaining channels are connected to the internal amps. Assuming the measurements are the same as the x3600h, then the front pre-outs will be clean to 4v and the rest clip at around 1.5v. However, there is a new mode where all channels are disconnected from the amps. In this mode the assumption would be they are all clean up to 4v. Think of it this way:
  • 9 channel mode: all 9 channels are connected to internal amps
    • all pre-outs will clip at around 1.5v (same as x3600h)
  • 11 channel mode with fronts assigned to preout: 9 channels are connected to internal amps (except front LR)
    • front pre-outs clip at 4v, rest of preouts clip at 1.5v (same as x3600h)
  • Preamp mode: no channels connected to internal amps
    • all pre-outs clean up to 4v (new mode)
Until we measure it we wont know but that is a pretty good guess at how it will turn out. This is almost perfect, but they missed one popular configuration that people want: Front left, right and center disconnected from internal amps and clean up to 4v, with the rest of the channels connected to internal amps - at least that's what I would want.

carlob

Forum Donor
This is almost perfect, but they missed one popular configuration that people want: Front left, right and center disconnected from internal amps and clean up to 4v, with the rest of the channels connected to internal amps - at least that's what I would want.

Same for me. The perfect solution would have been allowing to enable or disable each internal amp individually, something that Anthem was doing back in 2015...

BsdKurt

Forum Donor
Same for me. The perfect solution would have been allowing to enable or disable each internal amp individually, something that Anthem was doing back in 2015...
Totally agree you. If I’m not mistaken the x8500h can do that.

If I was a Denon product manager, I‘d leave that feature on their flagship model, then somewhere in the middle, say the x4700h add LRC pre-amp mode so that people like me would spring for a higher model to get it.

I’d love to see individual amp disable at the x3700h level but looking at the competition, no-one is coming close to the quality offering Denon is coming out with for the price. It would be unrealistic for Denon to give us that until pressured by competition to do so. As it stands right now Denon is setup to crush the high end competition we‘ve seen fail and fail again here when tested objectively.

No longer can vendors rest on their good will of their brand names when they fail horribly to produce quality results. They need to step up or fade away as Denon crushes them. The gauntlet has been thrown down. Thanks to @amirm the “high end” vendors cant deliver shit and expect us to buy into it anymore.

simple6

Forum Donor
For the two fronts, when they are disconnected from the amps by setting the amp into 11 channel mode and assigning the fronts to pre-out you get clean up to 4v on those two channels only - the rest of the pre-outs clip at around 1.5v.

The x3700h is able to do the above setup as well where fronts are set to pre-out, the remaining channels are connected to the internal amps. Assuming the measurements are the same as the x3600h, then the front pre-outs will be clean to 4v and the rest clip at around 1.5v. However, there is a new mode where all channels are disconnected from the amps. In this mode the assumption would be they are all clean up to 4v.

No objection to what you are saying really. I would also prefer the option for only LCR pre-amp mode. I hope we get that in the future.

My comment was more on the below scenario, where for 2 channels the 3600 and 3700 are squeaky clean.

carlob

Forum Donor
My comment was more on the below scenario, where for 2 channels the 3600 and 3700 are squeaky clean

yes, but at the end of the day I'm going to add another hypex amp as center is important for HT. So let's assume I add another nc500 amp to the stereo nc500 one I already have: I need a total of 9 channels, to use the Denon in pre-only mode need to add the cost of 6 channels of amplification, probably a 6 channel NC252 amp meaning about 1800 Euro that could have been saved if only the Denon had selectable amps. And more boxes and cables too!

carlob

Forum Donor
For those wondering, the NC400 needs 2.05Vrms for rated power (400W into 4ohm), using 1.5Vrms gives you ~215W into 4ohm.

Correct, not any hypex amp

Screenshot 2020-06-06 at 17.28.00.png

carlob

Forum Donor
Well, doesn’t that show the NC122 only needs 1.25Vrms?

Yes, you are correct I shouldn't have written any Hypex amp. Just some of them need more than 2V. Check the Ω though

Last edited:

Senior NEET Engineer

For those wondering, the NC400 needs 2.05Vrms for rated power (400W into 4ohm), using 1.5Vrms gives you ~215W into 4ohm.

If you're close to using all the power, then bigger speakers or amps would be good idea.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're close to using all the power, then bigger speakers or amps would be good idea.
Very true. I can’t even imagine what speakers and what people need that much wattage. I am usually at -20dB on my surround receiver when playing music, and that is 80W into 2ch, so that’s not even 1W (speakers are ~88dB); note I listen to pretty modern/popular music, so no classical/orchestral pieces, but for movies I’m in the realm of -10dB, so almost 10W.

Amir’s SINAD charts using ~2.5W (5W into 4ohm) seems pretty practical for music.

Top Bottom