• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3600H AV Receiver Review

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for your response!

The room is built according to a drawing by a renowned acoustician and has been qualified buy him.
I’m sensitive to when the sound is off. In the beginning (before the addition of the Denon x3600h) I had some issues with the bass in the room, nothing serious but to me it was not right. After some measurements I found that there were some modes at 31 and 68 Hz as in the picture below.
View attachment 63386
I had those corrected using a DSPeaker anti mode dual 2.0. I also bought a professional frequency crossover control.
View attachment 63400

After that everything has been running perfectly.
View attachment 63388
I was very happy with the sound and wanted to add Atmos speakers.
I never dreamed that there would be such a difference. I still believe that there must be a switch that I have forgotten to turn off, or on.
I have used the Oppo 103 as the source of 7.1 decoder and just running through the signals on the analog HK Signature 1.0. I used 2 HK Signature amps 2x5 channels. Passive subwoofes and fronts run on one amp the rest on the second amp.
Speaker setup in the studio.View attachment 63389

Following images are from my ipad on the current setup measurements with Denon x3600h and the Audyssey App. The frequency range is set to work from 0-500Hz. I have made no compensations except on the Subwoofer where I have raised the bass with 10dB, see image.

View attachment 63390View attachment 63391View attachment 63398

View attachment 63392View attachment 63393
View attachment 63394View attachment 63395
View attachment 63396View attachment 63397
Can you a new thread? Happy to provide more ideas but don't want to pollute this x3600h thread

tparm

Forum Donor
Thank you for your response!

The room is built according to a drawing by a renowned acoustician and has been qualified buy him.
I’m sensitive to when the sound is off. In the beginning (before the addition of the Denon x3600h) I had some issues with the bass in the room, nothing serious but to me it was not right. After some measurements I found that there were some modes at 31 and 68 Hz as in the picture below.
View attachment 63386
I had those corrected using a DSPeaker anti mode dual 2.0. I also bought a professional frequency crossover control.
View attachment 63400

After that everything has been running perfectly.
View attachment 63388
I was very happy with the sound and wanted to add Atmos speakers.
I never dreamed that there would be such a difference. I still believe that there must be a switch that I have forgotten to turn off, or on.
I have used the Oppo 103 as the source of 7.1 decoder and just running through the signals on the analog HK Signature 1.0. I used 2 HK Signature amps 2x5 channels. Passive subwoofes and fronts run on one amp the rest on the second amp.
Speaker setup in the studio.View attachment 63389

Following images are from my ipad on the current setup measurements with Denon x3600h and the Audyssey App. The frequency range is set to work from 0-500Hz. I have made no compensations except on the Subwoofer where I have raised the bass with 10dB, see image.

View attachment 63390View attachment 63391View attachment 63398

View attachment 63392View attachment 63393
View attachment 63394View attachment 63395
View attachment 63396View attachment 63397
Jannewq,

Just a few simple observations;

- Nice looking room, if anything it is over-treated, looks like it would be a very dead space which would over emphasize any per channel inconsistencies.

- My non-scientific response would be to remove any DSP or EQ devices and use only Audyssey for calibration. I'd also make sure your sub level is set prior to running Audyssey and remove he Harman mid-range curve via the app. Something is causing your center to crossover at 200Hz which seems way too high per your photo.

- The rest is all settings and you have connected all of your moving parts; external amps (what is their voltage demand?), subs, etc. Not to insult anyone's intelligence, but I would take time to retrace all your speaker connections for proper polarity, check which channels are using external amps and make sure they are properly assigned and so on.

Basically I'd start from scratch (reset the Denon), remove your external EQ devices, triple check all of your connections and assignments, re-run Audyssey. don't alter any curves except eliminating Harman dip, listen to it and then tweak the bottom end if needed.

Good luck.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you! I will try this.
I don't think that is going to be the fix you need, however. There are a couple of other issues I see.
1-Your sub level is -12 which means the level is gain/volume on your subs is most likely too high for Audyssey to cut the level enough
2-With Audyssey you do not really need your antimode. I would also take it out as well as anything else and let Audyssey do its thing
3-Also as noted the crossover of center at 200 does not seem right. You are asking a lot of your sub to play dialogue. Did Audyssey set it there or did you put it there? You might try it a 100
4-A 10db bass boost in the sub curve is excessive in my opinion. As a general rule there is a total 8-10 db boost from 20hz-20khz. Or a harman type of boost seems to be around 4-6boost from around 200 to 20hz. I would drop a point on your audyssey sub curve at 200 at zero and put a second point at +4 or +5db.
I think between your sub amps running too hot (as shown in the -12 trim levels) and your +10 db bass boost your bass may be making your dialogue less clear. That and your center crossover being set at 200hz. If you fix those 2 things I think you dialogue should be much better. But do consider removing some electronics from your chain to simplify things... Audyssey xt32 and Antimode are redundent in my opinion.

Last edited:

Jannewg

Neither the Dspeaker nor the external crossover is connected. Only the Denon, 1 amp for fronts, subs and center. I did encounter some problems in the beginning with Audyssey because it's sensitiv to gain on the bass. The 200Hz crossover is a recommendation a got and tried. I'm going to re-run the Audyssey with even lower gain setting.
Is it possible to get the audyssey to do only the bass?

tparm

Forum Donor
Neither the Dspeaker nor the external crossover is connected. Only the Denon, 1 amp for fronts, subs and center. I did encounter some problems in the beginning with Audyssey because it's sensitiv to gain on the bass. The 200Hz crossover is a recommendation a got and tried. I'm going to re-run the Audyssey with even lower gain setting.
I'm not aware of any way to use an onboard amp for the subs? Can I assume you mean one amp for each of the front and center speakers and not one amp to power all three speakers? Sorry, just trying to interpret what you are saying. So..... what are you powering with your external amplifiers? Can I also assume you mean that you are using the subwoofer pre-outs for external amplifiers to power your subs?

Maybe send some pics of how you have everything wired / connected. Or get your dealer to send someone over to set everything up, probably cost you a couple hundred bucks depending on how accessible everything is and if they also run Audyssey for you, but will be money well spent.

Hope this is helpful.

HionHiFi

Yes, from the Audyssey MultiEQ App. In the attached screenshots you can see I’ve limited my Audyssey to 498Hz.

Then upload to receiver.

Attachments

• E748CBE6-8A22-4BB4-A5EB-C1608EC7E9B4.jpeg
    E748CBE6-8A22-4BB4-A5EB-C1608EC7E9B4.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 191
  • F8CFE2BF-5F35-40B1-BA17-84A145230092.jpeg
    F8CFE2BF-5F35-40B1-BA17-84A145230092.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 44D10BE5-FC62-478D-A2AE-661C3E00F08F.jpeg
    44D10BE5-FC62-478D-A2AE-661C3E00F08F.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 193
  • C85FE5A0-2F52-4ACC-96F8-D32D37D2C1BC.jpeg
    C85FE5A0-2F52-4ACC-96F8-D32D37D2C1BC.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 185

MaxTemp

Anyone know if any other Denon or Marantz receivers have similar enough components that they may also rate well in Amir’s tests? Like the Denon 4500h, Marantz SR7013, Marantz SR6014??

Looking at the top Marantz processor reviews, the Marantz AVRs shouldnt score as high as the x3600. But the Denon x4500, x6500 and x8500 should be able to score even higher.

tparm

Forum Donor
Looking at the top Marantz processor reviews, the Marantz AVRs shouldnt score as high as the x3600. But the Denon x4500, x6500 and x8500 should be able to score even higher.
Curious what are you basing this opinion on?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Aren’t measurements wonderful :)

- Rich

MaxTemp

Curious what are you basing this opinion on?

Its all speculation until Amir tests the units but from x3600 as you go higher in the Denon range you get bigger power supply, better DAC and better processing. Once you reach x8500, you have assignable amps on all the channels with the option to turn them off as well as 8 of their highest model DAC for every 2 channels. Implementations is the key but in theory it should perform the best out of all the AVRs tested.

tparm

Forum Donor
Its all speculation until Amir tests the units but from x3600 as you go higher in the Denon range you get bigger power supply, better DAC and better processing. Once you reach x8500, you have assignable amps on all the channels with the option to turn them off as well as 8 of their highest model DAC for every 2 channels. Implementations is the key but in theory it should perform the best out of all the AVRs tested.
That would be far too logical! Haha. We've seen failures in much more pricey pieces with higher end components than the X3600. It seems more about implementation (architecture if you will) than simply a sum of the parts. It would be really cool to see how a "500 series" Denon piece measures compared to the X3600.

Seems Denon got something "right" with this one, especially on the digital side which is where so many AVRs and Processors fall on their face. For $1,100 and ability to full utilize at least two channels of a high quality external amplification for the LR channels I'm not sure I see the need to spend more for the 2018 series AVRs. I am anxious to see what the X4600 and X6600 AVRs look like when they are introduced (when ever that may be).

MaxTemp

That would be far too logical! Haha. We've seen failures in much more pricey pieces with higher end components than the X3600. It seems more about implementation (architecture if you will) than simply a sum of the parts. It would be really cool to see how a "500 series" Denon piece measures compared to the X3600.

Seems Denon got something "right" with this one, especially on the digital side which is where so many AVRs and Processors fall on their face. For $1,100 and ability to full utilize at least two channels of a high quality external amplification for the LR channels I'm not sure I see the need to spend more for the 2018 series AVRs. I am anxious to see what the X4600 and X6600 AVRs look like when they are introduced (when ever that may be).

Yes, its been very disappointing seeing high end components in expensive AVRs and processors perform poorly in Amir's tests, but they have been from different brands. Going by the same brand and higher in the range, I think theres more of a chance in there being improvements after seeing the results of the x3600. Unless something in the engineering changed in 2019, the higher end 2018 models should perform equal or better.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I'm following the measurements and the conversation correctly:
1. Digital Input + 11.2 Ch Mode (internal FL/FR amp disabled) -> Pre OUT (2V) = 99dB SINAD and 0.001% THD+N
2. Digital Input + (internal FL/FR amp NOT disabled) -> Pre OUT (>1.5V) = high levels of THD and poor SINAD
3. Analog Input -> Internal FL/FR amp (5W, 4ohms) = 88dB SINAD to speakers
Is this right? (Can someone double check my interpretations)?

If so, what about Digital Input -> Internal FL/FR amp? Will THD be poor as in scenario #2? Or perhaps poor only when the Internal FL/FR amp is driving more than the equivalent of 1.5V Pre OUT?

MASKINEN

I think it’s been mentioned before although I own the Denon X4200 and run it with 9.1 assignment. (Setting on pre out to fronts). Guessing it should behave similar to the X3600. I’m using separate pre amps on all channels. (Monoblocks and stereo amp)

It sounds good with music and movies and I can’t tell any difference than maybe better from my Onkyo 5509 pre pro.

Overall happy but it would be interesting to see measurements on the unit. Maybe someone will send it in. (I live in Sweden).

rccarguy

I think it’s been mentioned before although I own the Denon X4200 and run it with 9.1 assignment. (Setting on pre out to fronts). Guessing it should behave similar to the X3600. I’m using separate pre amps on all channels. (Monoblocks and stereo amp)

It sounds good with music and movies and I can’t tell any difference than maybe better from my Onkyo 5509 pre pro.

Overall happy but it would be interesting to see measurements on the unit. Maybe someone will send it in. (I live in Sweden).

I need a new AV pre seen onkyo 5509 cheap spec wise its plenty for me however hdmi failures a concern.

MASKINEN

I need a new AV pre seen onkyo 5509 cheap spec wise its plenty for me however hdmi failures a concern.

Yes the HDMI board was replaced and now when I bought the X4200 I sold the Onkyo most due to testing the cheaper receiver instead and I don’t think I’m going back any time soon.

Top Bottom