• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3500H AVR Review

bobbooo

Major Contributor
So,to get the best out of this unit would you feed it max 1.2V input (to get lowest distortion), set unit to 4 ohm (to reduce internal amp power) and use external power amps?

Won't setting the AVR to 4 ohm result in it clipping sooner, at a lower volume?

Last edited:

bobbooo

Major Contributor
@amirm can you clarify what mode you used exactly when testing this AVR (and others) - Stereo Auto, Pure, or Pure Direct?

Last edited:

bobbooo

Major Contributor
What parameters of the output can be measured after XT32 is engaged? Measurements of DACs and amps depend on putting in a signal and seeing how close the output signal is to the original. Audyssey is going to dramatically change the signal when the filters are applied. Maybe the people at Audyssey could get some insight into distortion it's adding by inverting the filter changes back against the output signal to restore it to what it should be like unfiltered. But we don't have any way to do that that I can think of.

This may also be why Denon hasn't engineered the AVR for lower distortion, the assumption being that the AVR is primarily being used with MultEQ. Good chance slight variations in the user's mic positioning during the calibration process have more impact on how the sound changes than the distortion that is added by the DAC and power amp.

Maybe a good way to do true real-world comparative tests of AVRs with room EQ (or any audio equipment for that matter) would be to actually measure the acoustic output of a standard reference speaker set-up connected to the AVR in a real room using a reference mic. A null test with real music files (subtracting the original audio from that recorded from the speaker output) would then allow a comparison of relative coloration of the original audio between AVRs with room EQ. Of course, things like mic placement during EQ calibration and speaker measurement would have to be carefully controlled for.

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys,
My first post ever. I read throught all 6 pages of this review cos soon I'll be on the market for new AVR which can handle 5.1.2 and I was thinking mostly about Denon AVR-X3600H. Now, i dont know much about measurements and everything that you talked about on last 6 pages. So to cut the story short, which AVR would you recommend for me? My needs are 5.1.2, atmos and dts-x, HDR10+, DV. I know that 3600 can handle 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 but to have spare 2 ch I dont mind. And I would definetly not go over 1500$. I know that this is a thread about 3500 and not about "all the rest AVRs" but considering that Denon was the brand I was looking forward after my Onkyo tx-nr 709 failed me I would really appriciate your opinions for 1500$ AVR.

Thanks
My opinion: 3600H would be awesome for your needs, yes AWESOME. Remember that for all the differences these measurements may present in objective terms, you are ultimately using this in a less than perfect home theater set up with less than perfect speakers inside a less than perfect acoustic space, all of which will have more audible effects on your listening experience than all the criticism posted by this review. More importantly, the source content (movies) were mastered by home video post-production teams with big boom bang effects in mind not "fine detail resolution for the music connoisseur", so may not want to listen to the "micro dynamics" of your source - I mean seriously, an extra bit of "air" at 20khz from the bullet whizzing by is not worth the extra $5,000 in AVR performance. Also keep in mind, once your eyes are busy focusing on the action/drama, your ears practically go to sleep and you will NOT be able to distinguish the difference between a $2,000 DAC section and a $50 DAC section, but you will be able to hear differences in channel separation for immersive 5.2.4, loudness/dynamics and sub-bass, which is where most of your home theater audio budget should be. This 3600H has those things in spades.

zuli

Forum Donor
I am sure if the analog line inputs are used, and if it is the AVR-X3400H and other 2017 models above the X3400H. So I would be equally sure if the 2018 models have the same block diagram I have seen. The bypass switch, shown as relay contact, was clearly shown in the block diagram.

@peng : Do you know if also the X6500H has the same bypass? This is what I've got in another forum
"Any analog signal presented to the Denon will be passed through a JRC NJM8080 opamp then to the AKM AK5358BET ADC, which is then steered by the TI PCM9211 DIX to the DSP which then presents the digital signal to the PCM1690 ΔΣ DAC. All of these components are tabletop radio quality at best. The ADC can only support up to 24/96kHz and the NJM8080’s performance leaves a lot to be desired.
If you pass signal via SPDIF or HDMI to the AVR, you will remove the ADC from the mix, that would be your first step at higher quality, however, it’s Achilles heel is it’s usage of the NJM8080 throughout."

I wasn't able to find the Service Manual for the x6500h. I've got this from the x6400h service manual.
Screenshot 2019-11-25 at 17.47.58.png

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@peng : Do you know if also the X6500H has the same bypass? This is what I've got in another forum
"Any analog signal presented to the Denon will be passed through a JRC NJM8080 opamp then to the AKM AK5358BET ADC, which is then steered by the TI PCM9211 DIX to the DSP which then presents the digital signal to the PCM1690 ΔΣ DAC. All of these components are tabletop radio quality at best. The ADC can only support up to 24/96kHz and the NJM8080’s performance leaves a lot to be desired.
If you pass signal via SPDIF or HDMI to the AVR, you will remove the ADC from the mix, that would be your first step at higher quality, however, it’s Achilles heel is it’s usage of the NJM8080 throughout."

I wasn't able to find the Service Manual for the x6500h. I've got this from the x6400h service manual.View attachment 40257

I don't think the X6500H service manual is downloadable for free anywhere so if you want to see it you would have to buy it. It is hard to imagine it won't be the same as the X6400H. I expect the two are nearly identical except the 6500 has some minor new gadgets such as the IMAX enhanced.

I don't know which other forum you got that seemingly false information, unless they referred to "stereo". Also, since 2017 (may be even 2016), Denon and Marantz, no longer use the PCM1690 DAC, definitely not for the X2400H, SR5012 and higher models so whoever claimed the PCM1690 was used must be referring to other and/or older models. So much internet forum fake info!!

In the owner's manual it says:

1574717708212.png

That means afaic (could be wrong but not likely..), the NJU72750 switcher would, in the de-energize state/or they called it disabled) pass the analog line in signal pass throught directly to the NJU72343 preamp vol ctl IC, whereas in Stereo mode it would seem that the switcher will switch over, thereby routing the signal to the AK5358 ADC. While I don't know this for fact but based on the block diagram and other pages of the schematics I thought it is a reasonable assumption on my part.

Again, there is no reason to believe the 6500 would do anything different.

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I would be careful with their website information, 3rd party comparison table such as Crutchfield's would be even less accurate in general. Denon's comparison table also listed the AVR-X4400H had gold plated RCA jacks but they didn't so I highly doubt the AVR-X4500H or Marantz SR7012, 7013 have them, let alone the lower model 6013. Denon typically put gold plated jacks on their top two model, so the X6500H might have them. Marantz seemed always fit them in the flagship models only but they stopped making flagship model until 2018, i.e. the SR8012. The SR7012 was their top model but clearly not a flag ship class as it = AVR-X4400H + 7.1 analog in + HDAM that is unique to Marantz.

The less than 2 lbs weight of the 6013 over the 3600 are mostly due to the multichannel analog inputs and the 13 channels of HDMI modules.

Not that it would made any audible difference, but when I went to Bestbuy and noticed the jacks were not gold plated I was still disappointed, because the Marantz AV8801 it replaced have them, and based on Denon's own website information (the comparison table) showed that they have them. Wasn't mad enough to complain to D&M about such false advertisement though.

So much false/fake claims on the internet, what can you do..

I've only posted that link for feature comparison sake; which Denon AVR model matches closely which Marantz AVR model. To go further and look for gold plated jacks on the rear it's very easy...check the pictures, you will see. I saw the gold plated jacks on the pictures I posted and the links that provide pictures of their back panels.

* Denon AVRs Series 6000, 7000 and 8000 = gold plated jacks.
Marantz 6000, 7000 and 8000 Series = gold plated jacks.

Below those series for the two brands ... no gold (nickel plated jacks).

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
For people shopping for a Denon receiver don't look below the 3600 (last year's 3500 is cheezy, IMHO). And if you can stretch $100 more go for the 4500. And, never pay full MSRP, look for sales in the 30-50% range. Or go Marantz 6000 Series or above.
The main attraction course here is Audyssey MultEQ XT32 used with all the infinity of audio modes, Atmos & dts:X included (and their surround upscalers).

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've only posted that link for feature comparison sake; which Denon AVR model matches closely which Marantz AVR model. To go further and look for gold plated jacks on the rear it's very easy...check the pictures, you will see. I saw the gold plated jacks on the pictures I posted and the links that provide pictures of their back panels.

* Denon AVRs Series 6000, 7000 and 8000 = gold plated jacks.
Marantz 6000, 7000 and 8000 Series = gold plated jacks.

Below those series for the two brands ... no gold (nickel plated jacks).

Wait a minute, my focus was the audio jacks and from it seems you are talking about the video jacks? If so, you are right and I am wrong, my apology. If you are talking about the audio jacks as well, I cannot see from the pictures online but will take a look next time I am in Bestbuy. If for video jacks, may be my Denon X4400H are gold plated too, I never pay attention to jacks I never used. For video I only use HDMIs.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I'm referring to ALL jacks...audio, HDMI, coax digital, ...forget video composite and components, those are for prehistoric obsolete decoration.

The Denon 4000 Series have NO gold, it starts above...the 6000 Series.
And same for Marantz, 6000 Series and above.

Anmol

Forum Donor
CA? ...Not Cambridge?

About the new JBL AV receiver (SDR-35) ... 16 channels with state-of-the-art Room EQ system (Dirac Live) and ESSPro Sabre DACs?
https://www.jblsynthesis.com/produc...35-.html?dwvar_SDR-35-_color=Black-US-Current

CA? ...Not Cambridge?

About the new JBL AV receiver (SDR-35) ... 16 channels with state-of-the-art Room EQ system (Dirac Live) and ESSPro Sabre DACs?
https://www.jblsynthesis.com/produc...35-.html?dwvar_SDR-35-_color=Black-US-Current
Cambridge Audio - i own 651R - poor Quality assurance( few quirks) but ok sounding.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My opinion: 3600H would be awesome for your needs, yes AWESOME. Remember that for all the differences these measurements may present in objective terms, you are ultimately using this in a less than perfect home theater set up with less than perfect speakers inside a less than perfect acoustic space, all of which will have more audible effects on your listening experience than all the criticism posted by this review. More importantly, the source content (movies) were mastered by home video post-production teams with big boom bang effects in mind not "fine detail resolution for the music connoisseur", so may not want to listen to the "micro dynamics" of your source - I mean seriously, an extra bit of "air" at 20 kHz from the bullet whizzing by is not worth the extra $5,000 in AVR performance. Also keep in mind, once your eyes are busy focusing on the action/drama, your ears practically go to sleep and you will NOT be able to distinguish the difference between a $2,000 DAC section and a $50 DAC section, but you will be able to hear differences in channel separation for immersive 5.2.4, loudness/dynamics and sub-bass, which is where most of your home theater audio budget should be. This 3600H has those things in spades.

I am with you. I believe I did post similar thoughts in this thread. If there is one thing I have learned from our wonderful website , is not to be carried away by what is measurable but not perceptible by the human ear. IOW, in most any HT room , even a fully dedicated , treated room .... 80 dB of SINAD is good enough ... I am with NorthSky on this (Welcome back!!) too. I have a similar model, the X3400 differences are slight, perhaps Alexa or some other voice thing .. and I never found it wanting for movies.. for music? 'nother story :) In HT , if one takes the time to chose good speakers with excellent linearity and dynamics, and at least a pair of potent subs, frankly I am inching toward a quatuor of subs... Work your way toward integrating these properly with the mains, this will take some time. I don't think a $5000 AVR will provide anything substantial in term of sonic performances ... Of course the $5000 model may have more channels ... wonder how much channels one needs beyond 7 + 2 Atmos ceiling speakers ??
I am still annoyed to no end by the lack of ergonomics in all the AVRs on the market. No one besides the enthusiasts can operate these things ... Automation is the neglected child of the Home Theater sector.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm referring to ALL jacks...audio, HDMI, coax digital, ...forget video composite and components, those are for prehistoric obsolete decoration.

The Denon 4000 Series have NO gold, it starts above...the 6000 Series.
And same for Marantz, 6000 Series and above.

I really can't see it in the pictures other than the top two rows for the video stuff but okay if you are so sure I believe you and you have my apology already. Out of curiosity as I said I would still take a good look when I am in Bestbuy next time.

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I really can't see it in the pictures other than the top two rows for the video stuff but okay if you are so sure I believe you and you have my apology already. Out of curiosity as I said I would still take a good look when I am in Bestbuy next time.

Yes I am sure, if I wasn't I wouldn't have said it.

Still, in terms of parts and circuitry the Denon 4400 and 4500 are supposed to be compared to the Marantz 7012 and 7013.

Yes I agree.

The 6400/6500 fits 1/2 notch below the SR8012 and 1/4 to 1/2 notch above the SR7012/7013. If you look at the 6400's schematics, it shared a few pages with the SR8012. If you insist on the SR6012 is equivalent to the AVR-X4400H, or SR6013 to the AVR-X4500H then we would just agree to disagree, no big deal at all. I already expressed my opinion on the site you seemed comfortable to use for comparison purposes, so we can agree to disagree on that too. Its probably never as black and white as we think anyway.

I've never said what you've just said above, you must be confusing me with someone else. Check back on tracks and see what I said and the comparisons I offered yesterday, me and not someone else. Thank you for your cooperation.

#108 https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...vr-x3500h-avr-review.10053/page-6#post-273769
_____

* @FrantzM ... that's nice.
IndelibleSmugHarborporpoise-small.gif

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never said what you've just said above, you must be confusing me with someone else. Check back on tracks and see what I said and the comparisons I offered yesterday, me and not someone else. Thank you for your cooperation.

Sorry, my mistake, it was someone else. Edited post to avoid further confusion.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
For people shopping for a Denon receiver don't look below the 3600 (last year's 3500 is cheezy, IMHO). And if you can stretch $100 more go for the 4500.

According to the measurements on audio.com.pl, the 4500 is only marginally better than the 2400, with the latter having slightly higher odd-order harmonic distortion, except the 3rd order peak which is actually higher on the 4500 (see below). I can't imagine there would be much of a difference with the 3400/3500.

X2400H:
47488-denon-avr-x2400h-audiocompl-lab2.jpg

X4500H:
53858-amplituner-denon-avr-x4500h-audiocompl-lab2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm can you clarify what mode you used exactly when testing this AVR (and others) - Stereo Auto, Pure, or Pure Direct?
It was in default "Auto" mode. I tested all three and they make no difference whatsoever:
Denon AVR-3500H Audio Video Receiver DAC Coax 1 volt FFT Audio Measurements.png

As you see, all three graphs are right on top of each other. This is with a high resolution FFT (256 K points) so any difference there would show up. But there isn't.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I do have some faint hope that if @amirm (hope he would read this) still have the receiver hooked up, he would retest it in pure direct mode and make sure ECO is turned off, not auto.
Eco mode was off. Here is the comparison of it being off and on:

Denon AVR-3500H Audio Video Receiver DAC Analog Eco Mode Audio Measurements.png

bobbooo

Major Contributor
It was in default "Auto" mode. I tested all three and they make no difference whatsoever:
View attachment 40314

As you see, all three graphs are right on top of each other. This is with a high resolution FFT (256 K points) so any difference there would show up. But there isn't.

Thanks for testing this - looks like just another case of 'audiophile' marketing nonsense then.

Vovgan

Forum Donor

Thank you for testing this. However my conjecture was that “pure direct” mode improves the amp’s, not the DAC’s performance on this machine (much better sound in pure direct through the outboard ChordQutest compared to the onboard DAC. No difference heard in “auto” mode). If my experience is tracking the objective reality, the only way it can be happening is if amplifier’s 84 SINAD improves substantially in the pure direct mode.

You have previously shown that it was the case for Yamaha:

We lost 5 dB of SINAD. Switching on Pure Direct gets us that back:

(although in case of Yamaha is was due to the analogue signal being digitized unless played in the “pure direct“ mode, while here it is not the case, so I agree that it is not clear how can Denon‘s amps be substantially better in “pure direct” mode).

Last edited:
Top Bottom