• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3500H AVR Review

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
I wonder how the speaker preouts perform? This is Denon's lowest model with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and preouts. Some people might be willing to live with the HT performance with the benefits of XT32 if they could run music through their own DAC and attach a power amplifier for the front left/righ speakers for music listening.
Explain more please , as I would like to use a computer to a gustard 16 dac, then pre out to a topping PA5 for stereo use only… and hopefully benifit by using Audyssey and the Audyssey app to improve my speakers for music only. Is this a sane plan if I get the Denon for $200.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Explain more please , as I would like to use a computer to a gustard 16 dac, then pre out to a topping PA5 for stereo use only… and hopefully benifit by using Audyssey and the Audyssey app to improve my speakers for music only. Is this a sane plan if I get the Denon for $200.

For stereo, you can do that, and it will be a case of weighting the net benefits in sound quality gain using Audyssey XT32 with the app versus some loss (probably mainly on paper/measurements but now much in real world performance) due to the analog signal being converted back to digital via the AVR's ADC and then back analog by the AVR's DAC. It is a trade off that you have to decide. No harm trying, and you will find out if you like it better using the Gustard DAC with the AVR's analog inupt and use direct mode, or use the AVR's digital input and then engage Audyssey.

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
You mean use this giant thing as just a preamp?
Fun and learning

Hmmm what if you….?

1. get xt32
2. use Audyssey app
3. use a good dac
4. pre out to a PA5
5. Only pay $150 for a working used 3500

The-Pupil

My set up is as follows:

- Denon x3500h
- Dali Ikon 6 SE stereo and center speakers.
- Wharfedale Diamond 10-1 surround speakers
- Denon DCD720ae cd player
- NAS with high res files.

Me and my gf listen to about 70/30 Music vs Movies.

I am not to technical at reading diagrams and all terms used in the audio world. But as far as I could see the DAC is a weak point in the x3500h

I'd like to improve the 2 channel audio quality as much as possible but retaining the possibility to watch movies in surround.

Would adding an external dac improve the 2 channel audio quality? Then I could use the external DAC as well for my CD player.

Obviously 2 separate systems would be best but that would get way to expensive and I wouldn't be able to store all the equipment.

For the dac i was looking at a Topping E70 Velvet or a used NAD M51 (both around 450-500 dollar)
M51 has good reviews but a rather mediocore measurement here at ASR. It has HDMI input, which is great for me.
E70 has Bluetooth V5.1 + DSD and good measurements herse at ASR.

If you guys prever I create separarte thread, I am glad to do so, but since it is regarding the weak link in the x3500h I posted it here.

Kind regards,

Luuk

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My set up is as follows:

- Denon x3500h

I am not to technical at reading diagrams and all terms used in the audio world. But as far as I could see the DAC is a weak point in the x3500h

I'd like to improve the 2 channel audio quality as much as possible but retaining the possibility to watch movies in surround.

Would adding an external dac improve the 2 channel audio quality? Then I could use the external DAC as well for my CD player.

Obviously 2 separate systems would be best but that would get way to expensive and I wouldn't be able to store all the equipment.

For the dac i was looking at a Topping E70 Velvet or a used NAD M51 (both around 450-500 dollar)
M51 has good reviews but a rather mediocore measurement here at ASR. It has HDMI input, which is great for me.

If you guys prever I make a separarte topping, I am glad to do so, but since it is regarding the weak link in the x3500h I posted it here.

Kind regards,

Luuk

I don't know where you get the idea about the X3500H's DAC being the weak link. It actually has the very good AK4458, and based on ASR measurements, in terms of SINAD it is much better than the newer models that use the PCM5102A chip that has much lower SINAD spec than the AK4458. This AVR does not have preamp mode and there is no way to disconnect any channels of the build in amps, so SINAD would drop down to about 73 to 75 dB (such level of distortion should still be below most people's threshold of audibility) if you need 2 V output. If you only need 1.4 to 1.6 V pre out for your power amp, then the AVR-X3500H's preamp/DAC is as good as many AVRs measured on ASR (by Amir) that costs much more, like 2X or more. If you don't use external power amp, then the DAC will not be the bottleneck at all, as the power amp section itself will be the bottleneck for sure.

The Kali Ikon 6 is not particular hard to drive, but if you listen moderately loud, and sit further than say 8 ft, you will likely do better using an external power amp rated 200 W/300 W 8/4 ohms. At least put an external fan to help cool the AVR if you are not using external power amps. The AVR may just be fine, adding an amp is just something to consider, depending on your actual power need.

delta76

Major Contributor
My set up is as follows:

- Denon x3500h

If you guys prever I create separarte thread, I am glad to do so, but since it is regarding the weak link in the x3500h I posted it here.

Kind regards,

Luuk
most likely no. you can try but i doubt you can here difference in a blind test.
best to save up and upgrade your speakers.

Taso

That would be 0.0017% THD+N, I would consider that clean. At -20 the output will be much lower than 1.2 V. In Amir's test, with vol at 76.5, that is -3.5 when the output was at 1 V.
..the output voltage, in addition to depending on the position of the volume, also changes based on the load, correct? A 5k load is not the same as a 47k or 100k load. Or am I wrong? thx

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
..the output voltage, in addition to depending on the position of the volume, also changes based on the load, correct? A 5k load is not the same as a 47k or 100k load. Or am I wrong? thx
I assume you are talking about pre out. If you pair it with power amp that has input impedance of 20 kohm or higher, it will be fine, if only 5k then I guess it may not do as well at higher output volatge, but at less than 1 to 1.4 V it should still do well.

The bottom line is, the 3400 and 3500 are much better than the 3300 in terns of THD+N, whether you use it as a preamp processor,or as an avr.

Taso

Thanks again for your assistance. It has enormous value for me. In the 3400/3500 it is perhaps possible to disconnect the final stages, to favor the DAC, perhaps there are connectors inside the amp? Normally I build audio equipment, solid state, tube... Power supplies, I have good manual skills! Thank you

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks again for your assistance. It has enormous value for me. In the 3400/3500 it is perhaps possible to disconnect the final stages, to favor the DAC, perhaps there are connectors inside the amp? Normally I build audio equipment, solid state, tube... Power supplies, I have good manual skills! Thank you

I am sure it can be done, but seems too much work for very little benefit. The preout will stay pristine until about 1.5 V, and at 2 V it is still good enoughto be below the threshold of audibility.

I have compared a x3400h with my separate preamp+power amp in 2 channel stereo, heard no difference. The x3400h sounded transparent to me.

Taso

I am sure it can be done, but seems too much work for very little benefit. The preout will stay pristine until about 1.5 V, and at 2 V it is still good enoughto be below the threshold of audibility.

I have compared a x3400h with my separate preamp+power amp in 2 channel stereo, heard no difference. The x3400h sounded transparent to me.
Thank you. Is there any test and measurement on the internet of the 3400? I didn't find any :(

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. Is there any test and measurement on the internet of the 3400? I didn't find any :(
I couldn't find any either (except the very basic type, more later), but if you compare the block diagrams and schematics of the 3400, 3500, 3600, 4400 through 4700, the preamp dac circuits are bascially the same, except the 3400,3500 has only 7 channels. The DAC, Volume control, opamps, that largely determined the overall distortions will therefore be very comparable, but the 3600 and newer models will have the following advantages:

a) better layout, noise is expected to be a little lower. The 3400 and the 3500's is virtually identical in the audio circuitry, parts and layouts.
b) slightly larger power transformers (very little practical difference, you need 2X the power output to gain 3 dB of sound pressure level.
c) apparently has resistor with better tolerances (according to bigguyca, not sure if he is an insider who has the intimate knowledge).
d) models 3700, 4700, 6700 has the preamp feature, that allows you to disconnect the preamp outputs to the power amp outputs (I know you already know this).
e) the 3600, 4300, 4400, 4500 do not have preamp mode, but there is a cheat that you can do, that is, use the amp assign function to disconnect the front left and front right preouts to the power amp inputs.

d) and e) will not make a difference in terms of pre outs THD+N unless you need voltages >= about 1.5 V.

Also, regarding d) and e), even without disconnecting the power amps, the pre outs can still output higher than 2 V and maintain SINAD of about 75 dB, that is THD+N or about 0.018%, 0.1% is the level of what is generally considered below the threshold of audibility. Consider this, 75 dB SINAD at 2 V is about the same performance as the Marantz AV7705, 7706, 8805 and 8805A that are preamp processors that don't even have internal power amps, so I don't think people have to worry about the lack of preamp mode, though it is clearly a great feature to have, just saying that for audible benefits, there may be very little or nothing to gain depending on your application.

There are no detailed reviews on the AVR-X3400H such as Amir's but there are some very basic bench test measurements by Soundandvision.com:

If you look at the distortions+noise vs measured output level, it is still hard to beat, just compared it with the NAD that costs a lot more:
You can see that it did less than 0.01% at it's rated output into 8 ohms. That is consistent with Amir measurements. To achieve such low distortions at the power amp output, you can imagine that the preamp performance has to be much better too.

According to the reviewer:

This graph shows that the AVR-X3400H’s left channel, from CD input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads, reaches 0.1% distortion at 123.0 watts and 1% distortion at 147.6 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at 145.4 watts and 1% distortion at 176.6 watts.

318denonrec.meas.jpg

Now take a look of the NAD that also costs more:
Amir also measured the NAD, and had similar results as soundandvision.com

You can see that the NAD has much higher distortions at just about any output level, yet most of their owners will tell you it sounds great. The fact is, how good an AVR would sound to you depends a lot of:

- your preference, that is subjective.
- quality of the media contents, that is recording/mastering.
- speakers.
- room acoustic conditions, use of room correction such as Audyssey, Dirac Live, Anthem ARC, Trinnov, YPAO..
- media player.

Distortions? Probably not too much once it gets close to the level of something like 75 dB SINAD, or 0.018% THD+N, though if noise is the main contributor then you may hear hiss and/or hum if your room is very quiet.

418nadrc.meas.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: phn

Taso

woow! you basically summed it all up in one post. very and infinitely useful for having an overview of the situation. :)
I have a question. Let's say I have a power amp, with no volume/gain control.
The final is rated for 0.7V for maximum power.
We know that the AVRs I'm interested in (3500/600/700/400) have their best output (SINAD) with 1.0/1.2v output.
This means that I will never be able to exploit this value of SINAD. Am I right?
Unless I add an input resistive divider or a pot. Is this correct?
Thank you

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
woow! you basically summed it all up in one post. very and infinitely useful for having an overview of the situation. :)
I have a question. Let's say I have a power amp, with no volume/gain control.
The final is rated for 0.7V for maximum power.
We know that the AVRs I'm interested in (3500/600/700/400) have their best output (SINAD) with 1.0/1.2v output.
This means that I will never be able to exploit this value of SINAD. Am I right?
Unless I add an input resistive divider or a pot. Is this correct?
Thank you

You are not wrong, but whether you are "right" would depend. It is always better to not look at SINAD at a single frequency, or output level point, but the curve.

Amir did not do a curve for the X3500H, so let's take a look of the 3700's, that has the same preamp/dac circuitry and parts (I mean before it's DAC chip was substituted):

Imagine the X3500H's curve has the same, or very similar shape but SINAD will be a couple, to 5 dB lower at any points (just an assumption but is reasonable).
Assume the worse case scenario, that it will be 5 dB lower, then at 0.7 dB, you would not get 95 dB, but about 93 dB, and at 200 mV, about 88 dB.

Would you really be bothered by 88 to 93 dB SINAD? I highly doubt that. Also, which power amp are you planning on using, as that will most likely be the real bottleneck anyway.

Take a look of the power amp's SINAD ranking too. The average score of a hugh number of amps measured on ASR is only 80, the little Denon's 84 landed it within the green zone. If you want your power amp to take advantage of the decent performance of the AVR's pre out, you should select one that don't become the bottleneck/weaklink.

index.php
index.php

Blaireau

Hello. Does anyone know if there is a stereo or double-mono signal on output 1-2 of the subwoofer?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello. Does anyone know if there is a stereo or double-mono signal on output 1-2 of the subwoofer?

To be clear, there is no such thing as stereo subouts yet because the LFE signal is mono.

The two subouts of the 3500 are discrete, not internally wired in parallel, so subeq ht will time aligned the two subwoofers connected to them and level match them. Same way as the 3700 through 8500.

Blaireau

To be clear, there is no such thing as stereo subouts yet because the LFE signal is mono.

The two subouts of the 3500 are discrete, not internally wired in parallel, so subeq ht will time aligned the two subwoofers connected to them and level match them. Same way as the 3700 through 8500.
Thanks. So, the two sub outputs are separate but completely identical. It doesn't matter whether I use only the 1st, only the 2nd, or both. If I have two subwoofers, I can connect both to output 1, or to output 2, or one to both outputs.

Top Bottom