• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3500H AVR Review

middlemarch

Forum Donor
Not so. Equalization will be applied to both identically by Audessey. But the time delay (phase) is set individually for each output. You want them to be time aligned to each other and to the main speakers prior to application of EQ. Can't time align them to each other if both are run off the same output. Unless they're sitting on top of each other, of course.

Edit: With the exception that you could if the subs had variable phase settings and you adjusted phase manually. I was referring to having the receiver do it all.

Blaireau

Not so. Equalization will be applied to both identically by Audessey. But the time delay (phase) is set individually for each output. You want them to be time aligned to each other and to the main speakers prior to application of EQ. Can't time align them to each other if both are run off the same output. Unless they're sitting on top of each other, of course.

Edit: With the exception that you could if the subs had variable phase settings and you adjusted phase manually. I was referring to having the receiver do it all.
I don't use Audyssey. I listen to music in stereo, the speaker sets stacked on top of each other. So I have a pair of 3-way speakers powered by the x3500h and a pair of subs powered by a Crown XTi 1002. The sub output of the Denon is connected to the XTi. The XTi has many options (DSP, crossover, LPF...), but I set all the output signals on the Denon, including the low frequency, for the subs.

middlemarch

Forum Donor
OK, I see. So you've got one sub to each channel of the Crown then? Or are you running it bridged with both subs in parallel? If you're running them separately with the Crown in stereo you really want to use both sub outputs from the Denon, one to each channel. That way you can still adjust time delays individually for each sub.

Although you're running two channels only, I'd personally strongly encourage you to take advantage of Audysey, since you've got it anyway. Your receiver is compatible with the $20 app you can get for Android or IOS. That lets you limit any correction to just the lower frequencies and gets rid of the mid range dip. Works pretty well. You also might want to consider taking advantage of the ability to position your subs in other locations than your mains, unless of course you're one of the lucky ones where they both work well in the same location. Up to you

Blaireau

OK, I see. So you've got one sub to each channel of the Crown then? Or are you running it bridged with both subs in parallel? If you're running them separately with the Crown in stereo you really want to use both sub outputs from the Denon, one to each channel. That way you can still adjust time delays individually for each sub.

Although you're running two channels only, I'd personally strongly encourage you to take advantage of Audysey, since you've got it anyway. Your receiver is compatible with the $20 app you can get for Android or IOS. That lets you limit any correction to just the lower frequencies and gets rid of the mid range dip. Works pretty well. You also might want to consider taking advantage of the ability to position your subs in other locations than your mains, unless of course you're one of the lucky ones where they both work well in the same location. Up to you
The Crown is a two-channel stereo power amplifier. So I'll be using both of the Denon's sub outputs. I just don't know if I enable both sub outputs in the Denon menu, then sub1 will be the left channel, Sub2 the right channel, or sub1 = left/right channel, sub2 = left/right channel? I use the sound system outside, so I don't think Audyssey helps with tuning.

middlemarch

Forum Donor
Ah, I get you. So really no sweet spot or room correction issues. You must not live cheek to cheek with the neighbors!

Edit: Sorry, didn't answer your question. The sub outputs will be fed the same signal, the bass for the left and right channels combined into mono (which it mostly is anyway). The only differences would be the levels, which you'd set the same anyway, and the time delay differences between each sub and the Main Listening Position. But since you're outside and don't really have an MLP, that probably doesn't matter much either. So the short answer, now that the application is clear (to me, anyway) is you can run them as you indicated earlier, separately or both off one or the other outputs. Phew!

Last edited:

Blaireau

Ah, I get you. So really no sweet spot or room correction issues. You must not live cheek to cheek with the neighbors!

Edit: Sorry, didn't answer your question. The sub outputs will be fed the same signal, the bass for the left and right channels combined into mono (which it mostly is anyway). The only differences would be the levels, which you'd set the same anyway, and the time delay differences between each sub and the Main Listening Position. But since you're outside and don't really have an MLP, that probably doesn't matter much either. So the short answer, now that the application is clear (to me, anyway) is you can run them as you indicated earlier, separately or both off one or the other outputs. Phew!
Thank you very much. You helped a lot.

Regarding neighbors: ...everyone gets what they deserve... "If they throw you a stone, throw it back with bread" doesn't work for me.

Thanks.

Blaireau

Hello. Can someone help me? If I set the front speakers to small, will the signal on the outputs of the pre-out rca front speakers also be "small"?

middlemarch

Forum Donor
They will

Top Bottom