• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X2200W Audio/Video Receiver Review

capt.s

Agreed, AVR amps don’t sound great with music (in my experience). It’s the preamp and DAC section I’m more interested in as I have a dedicated power amp for stereo listening. Hoping Amir will eventually come across a receiver that measures decent in that department.

batfunk

Agreed. I did try that with a Topping D10 (even though the additional A-D D-A conversion just seems wrong) but found a higher noise floor and USB noise bleed through with the volume turned up vs the Denon DACs. That what has me curious about the X4400H performance. To your last point, I honestly think most of my dissatisfaction when listening to my system is in the source material. Many recordings (mostly recent pop) sounds clipped on the bass. Apparently, from what I've read, due to the loudness wars (also mind boggling that's a thing), some music can be mastered clipped. I just find that so hard to believe an engineer could live with that. However, I hear it so it's either the recording or my equipment.
Agreed, AVR amps don’t sound great with music (in my experience). It’s the preamp and DAC section I’m more interested in as I have a dedicated power amp for stereo listening. Hoping Amir will eventually come across a receiver that measures decent in that department.
Thanks. Of course, it's my subjective opinion.i tried pure direct mode, sound is uneven at best and still lacks umph.i have 4 ohms speakers and I have to push volume to - 5db to have 70db.i only need - 30db on my old Teac to have same volume level.
An other problem I have with it is that it reads up to dsd 128 files but it doesn't succeed in reading 176 khz 24 bits flac files or 5.1 dsd files. Surely a conversion problem.
Too bad Amirm doesn't give subjective listening opinion on avr.
Anyway, 4500 is a great avr for movies.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Speaking of AVRs and prepros and HT Atmos and x.y.z channel surround and all of that... umm... stuff.
I happened to notice this posted Someplace Else (and dated yesterday) -- this seemed like as good a place to mention it as any (although I did, in full disclosure, also post the blind link, sans commentary, in a Mac thread that is also present here and was recently posted to). :rolleyes:

https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/mcintosh-amps-2020

1584571851111.png

1584571894512.png

Persik

Hi folks, I am considering to pick up a used X2200W to stream audio to sauna, yes, I love music so much...
Currently, I have sauna speakers set up as a zone 2 on X1400h receiver. However, I need these speaker outputs for height speakers on home theater setup.
Questions:
Does X2200W work well with HEOS app?
Any other recommendation for a streaming device?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi folks, I am considering to pick up a used X2200W to stream audio to sauna, yes, I love music so much...
Currently, I have sauna speakers set up as a zone 2 on X1400h receiver. However, I need these speaker outputs for height speakers on home theater setup.
Questions:
Does X2200W work well with HEOS app?
Any other recommendation for a streaming device?
The X Series all have UpNP / DLNA compatibility afik. So eg mconnect app for IOS or BubbleUNPN or so for Android work nicely to stream from NAS, Quobuz, Tidal etc.

Top Bottom