• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR Thermal Protect repair advice

StuartC

Forum Donor
Hello all, so my x6300h (out of warranty) has been throwing out Thermal F errors on and off for a couple of years now. It's been twice to one of the UK's approved repair centres, who replaced a load of transistors. For several months it pretty much behaved itself. More recently the same issue reared it's ugly head once more. So this time it was sent to the other of the UK's official Denon repair centres. However, this time the message was that they didn't think they could undertake an economical repair, and thus they would be posting it back to me. To say I was unhappy with this response would be something of a disservice to my ability to swear like a trooper.

The basic issue is that, occasionally, after a couple hours usage, it will shut down with the red blinking LED of doom. Normally, unplugging the power for 30s or so cures this. Sometimes it happens after running the surround channels and is warm/hot to the touch, other times it has just been running stereo via the pre-outs, so is cold to the touch. Sometimes it throws this issue when stone cold, first thing in the morning as soon as it powers on. The same fix applies.

So suggestions? Do I investigate myself because I think the second repair centre are just lazy and don't want to commit the time, or should I bite the bullet and replace? (For reference, it would have to be something equivalent to the 6300 because I need to power 7 channels in Zone 1, stereo in Zone 2 and the flexibility to stream different feeds to both.) Does anyone have any experience with this issue and has a genuine, likely fix?

amper42

Major Contributor
My experience is once a Denon AVR starts dying it's best to replace it rather than throw good money at repairs. These AVR's are complicated and once they start breaking it's downhill from there. You will be lucky if it's not further damaged when it's shipped back to you.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The issue is intermittent and therefore will be a pain in the derriere to service. Either wait till it acts up full time, live with it or replace it. If I where to guess I would say the first repair shop took a random stab at parts replacement and never got to the root of the issue.

OP
StuartC

StuartC

Forum Donor
So when the first shop replaced the transistors it was fixed mostly for quite a while before slowly degrading again. Clearly something upstream of them is faulty. Anyone know where I can get all of the technical documentation for this AVR? I can have a good stab at trying to isolate the issue then. My thinking is that if its thermal f then it's something on the amplifier circuit. So unplug that and use pre outs only for a while to assess. Then go from there.

Top Bottom