• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DENON AVR-S960H vs X2700H and X3700H

juma

Hello,

Im looking to power a 5.1 speaker set up in my secondary living room ( mostly music in 2.1 and 2.0 but still 5.1 movies during the weekend ) and was looking at the S and X series of the new 2020 Denon ...

Looks like they all decode the same audio codec and all have the features that I will actually use ( like no need for pre out, so dont care about them ) the "cheap" S960H even support more loseless streaming services.

The big difference seem that the cheapest one features MultEQ while the X series get the MultEQ XT and MultEQ XT32 ... But for 649$us to 849$us to 1200$ ( at this point 2x more than the S960 ... ) Does the difference in MultEQ tech really justify that price bump ! I seem like all these amp will give me the same audio power ( plus minus 20w ) and sound quality ...

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's been debated here .. Only the X3700H provides Audyssey MultiEQ XT32. Well worth the price if you ask me... Amir reviewed Audyssey MuktiEQ XT32. Click here.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last year, I was looking for an inexpensive 5.1 AVR to hold me over until I'm ready to set up a proper HT room. I ended up with a Denon S740H refurb for a little over $200 from A4L. It only has the basic Audyssey MultEQ, but I'm very happy with it. I suppose I don't know what I'm missing by having never heard anything with MultEQ XT32, so it doesn't bother me. My setup is very basic: 2.1 for music, 3.1 for movies. It does everything I need it to do.

From there on up, the next Denon receiver that I'd consider is X3600H, but it is several times more expensive.

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
I own the x2500h. I love this thing. I feel it sounds 95% as good as my main system, that is far more expensive .

OP
J

juma

Last year, I was looking for an inexpensive 5.1 AVR to hold me over until I'm ready to set up a proper HT room. I ended up with a Denon S740H refurb for a little over $200 from A4L. It only has the basic Audyssey MultEQ, but I'm very happy with it. I suppose I don't know what I'm missing by having never heard anything with MultEQ XT32, so it doesn't bother me. My setup is very basic: 2.1 for music, 3.1 for movies. It does everything I need it to do.

From there on up, the next Denon receiver that I'd consider is X3600H, but it is several times more expensive.

I will mostly have the same exact set up, I currently run an old denon 1912 with MultEQ ( and its bad I just turn off all audyssey features ) ... I guess Ill try the S960H, its dumd that the S960H support more native streaming and loseless audio codec than the X series for a overall 15watt difference ... If Its bad ill put it in the basement and update to the X version in a few years.

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Found this thread because I'm in the same boat, I currently have the 3500H but can't stand Audyssey at all now so I do all my EQ on a PC and run the Denon in direct mode. Seems like a waste having XT32 and not using it and I'm going to need HDMI 2.1 eventually so I'm looking at a S960H or the 2700h as well. The nice thing about not needing Audyssey or bass management in the receiver is you can run it in Direct mode for a slightly flatter frequency response (most likely not audible lol).

Webninja

Forum Donor
Do you use the Audyssey app? I know it is very nickel and dime-ish to have to buy a separate app, but it allows you to control the curve and frequency range of correction.

Top Bottom