• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR or Anthem AVM 70

Nidhin Raj

Hi,
I am currently running a 5.1(2 subs).2 home theatre setup in my living room. The Speakers are Monitor Audio Silver 6 front left and right, Monitor Audio Silver Center, Monitor Audio Bronze FX for side surrounds, two SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos and two SVS SB4000 subwoofers. The AVR is a Marantz SR5010 which operates as a processor. I am using Emotiva XPA5 to power all ear level speakers and Emotive Basx A800 powering two atmos channel. I wanted to change my AVR so I can add more channels and to improve the performance.
Need feedback on whether I should buy cheaper Denon AVC-X3700H / X4700H and use Pre outs or go for Anthem AVM70 which is double the price and has more channels. I would be immediately adding two more atmos speakers and by upgrading would be able to have two separate subwoofer channels. The long term objective is to have a dedicated home theatre room with more speakers and not having to change the processor frequently. Also would there be an improved performance with regards to audio by buying Anthem AV70? I have read interesting reviews about Anthem products. But Denon is a larger brand and I feel has better support. Please help with your valuable feedback.

Last edited:

Golfx

Forum Donor
I currently have Denon A110. I use it just as a prepro too. It is flawless and bug free. You should read the avsforum owners thread for Anthem AVM 70. Lots of scary bugs early on. Plus no way of playing HiRes streaming without an outboard DAC. Denon has HEOS built in.

OP
N

Nidhin Raj

I was leaning towards Anthem considering the number of channels and was under the impression that a processor would have better components and channel separation than a AVR. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

TomekNet

I'm a happy user of x3700 as a pro-pro in a 7.2.4 setup (pics and specs here). Highly recommended.

nood1234

My experience with using preamp outs on my Marantz:
You will still have :
1-distortion from amp
2-clipping
3- overheating
4- inefficiency
Theoretically, you bypass the internal amp.
Practically, the amp will follow you to the grave.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience with using preamp outs on my Marantz:
You will still have :
1-distortion from amp
2-clipping
3- overheating
4- inefficiency
Theoretically, you bypass the internal amp.
Practically, the amp will follow you to the grave.

Regarding points 1 and 2, measurements did show improvements using the preamp mode, just not as much as Denon's.
Personally, I believe it isn't the power amp clipping effects (or minimal if it is) that affected the preamp measurements because in preamp mode the power amp input would have been disconnected/isolated from the preamp outputs. I believe the HDAMs are the results for the lower SINAD. This can be proved if someone would send Amir one of the NR slimline series in for test. The slimline models don't have HDAMs.

Also, not too many Marantz owners are complaining, the fact is, not too many people are able to hear he difference between 75 dB SINAD vs 95 dB SINAD, some may, but they may actually prefer the higher distortions and couldn't hear the noise anyway due to room noise and music masking. So for them, the "grave" could be more like audio nirvana.:D

1619955948079.png

1619956476950.png

Mars2k

I've had my AVM70 for several months. Its a good unit the other unit that would compare closely would be the Marantz AV7705. Similar ins and outs the Marantz may be a little noiser but it offers Tidal streaming (Tidal Atmos yea!). The Marantz can be found a lot cheaper than the Anthem as well..I've owned Marantz AV8802a and a couple of AV7705 over time.
The fastert moving sector in AV nowadays is in processing. Amps tend to be more stable with the exception of Class D, lots of movement there but basically think longer term for amps. However a good set of amps will last a long while whereas processors suffer from rapid obsolescence.
I look at a surround proc as a switching unit with most of sound sourcing from outboard devices.
Nidham the preamp section in a stand alone proc will most likely be better than a regular reciever but really a good outboard amp will out class the amp section of almost any receiver. A preowned Bryston 9b of any generation will bury any current mainstream receiver amp.
Make a good deal on the latest greatest surround processor either Anthem of Marantz and pick up a killer used multi channel amp like an Anthem, Parasound or Bryston. Brystons have a 20 year tranferrable warranty you kinda can't go wrong.

danzilla31

Forum Donor
Hi,
I am currently running a 5.1(2 subs).2 home theatre setup in my living room. The Speakers are Monitor Audio Silver 6 front left and right, Monitor Audio Silver Center, Monitor Audio Bronze FX for side surrounds, two SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos and two SVS SB4000 subwoofers. The AVR is a Marantz SR5010 which operates as a processor. I am using Emotiva XPA5 to power all ear level speakers and Emotive Basx A800 powering two atmos channel. I wanted to change my AVR so I can add more channels and to improve the performance.
Need feedback on whether I should buy cheaper Denon AVC-X3700H / X4700H and use Pre outs or go for Anthem AVM70 which is double the price and has more channels. I would be immediately adding two more atmos speakers and by upgrading would be able to have two separate subwoofer channels. The long term objective is to have a dedicated home theatre room with more speakers and not having to change the processor frequently. Also would there be an improved performance with regards to audio by buying Anthem AV70? I have read interesting reviews about Anthem products. But Denon is a larger brand and I feel has better support. Please help with your valuable feedback.
Hey there's a fella who wants to sell his Denon A110 since your open to shelling more cash for the AVM 70. You might be open to buying Denons top of the line AVR and using it as your pre pro. Hit me with a PM if your interested

Mars2k

Hey, Nidhin, I just saw an AV7705, open box (full warranty) on a reputable online vendor for $1079, very hard to beat. Further I looked on a hi end pre-owned market site and found a Parasound Halo A-51 five channel amp for $2990, if you want more channels pick up an additional used Marantz multi channel for less than a grand hard to beat a combo like that with any receiver. Remember these are just examples there are alternative to this. If you PM me I could give you links.

DJ LP

Nidhin Raj, I now own an Anthem AVM-70, for about a month now. It replaced my Denon AVR-5308ci, which I used as a pre amp. The power amp I'm still using is a Rotel RMB-1095. Speakers used are Dynaudio Countors, T2.5's (front), Countor Center, Countor 1.1 rears and 2 M&K subwoofers.
MX-350Thx and MX-150Thx. I will say this. My Anthem sounds better than my Denon. I first noticed it with movies. The sound was more detailed, more enveloping and more dynamic. The center channel sounds fantastic. I know you're probably wondering how can the center channel sound better, but it does. This is without ARC being used. I really got a chance to and listened to music this weekend. I'm a 2 channel person. The soundstage was wider, more textured, detailed and more dynamic. I'm sure as I get used to using the unit, I can make it sound even better. I haven't had any problems with my unit. Everything has worked flawlessly. I have a Bryston BDP-2, so streaming isn't a concern for me.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, Any feedback for me?

You will get all kinds of feedback from owners of their units on various forums, but will most likely be their subjective views. Based on my subjective experience, any of those you mentioned will be practical equal in terms of "sound quality" if no dsp is involved, level matched, and compared under the same conditions. That being said, I bet if you know which one is in used then you will likely hear/(see:)) the differences even in pure direct mode.

To me I would make my decision based on features you need, and then specs and measurements, and obviously cost too. I would also bet on D+M, Anthem, imo is resource limited, for the now highly sophisticated AVPs, for matured products such as power amps, or even integrated amps they are great.

Golfx

Forum Donor
I agree with PENG. Most all of us will hear our bias. The anthem roll out of the AVM70/90 has had hiccups that D+M have apparently solved.

Top Bottom