• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR, Dolby TrueHD and Bass Management

16 Hz

Hi people! Let me explain my problem.

My configuration is:
Denon AVR-X2300W, 5 speakers (L R large, C RL RR small), no subwoofer.

Bass management works fine for almost every multichannel format I tested. I mean, I run speaker mapping test files for Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital Plus 7.1, DTS, DTS-HD 5.1/7.1, all of them have an LFE channel that is played thru the main speakers.

However, the test file I’ve for Dolby TrueHD doesn’t redirect bass. The LFE channel doesn’t sound at all.

I do know the LFE channel in that file has content, because when it’s decoded in a computer media player, LFE is present. If the media player is set for passthru to AVR, the LFE is gone. Also, a couple of friends with Onkyo and Marantz AVRs (and subwoofers), confirmed they hear LFE channel.

The test file is Dolby TrueHD Sound Check, downloadable from https://thedigitaltheater.com/tools/. I couldn’t find another speaker mapping file for this format (and listening to other demos/trailers doesn’t really help to test bass LFE management).

So, my question is, has anybody found something similar?

I’d like to know if I hit some kind of bug in the AVR, or if that file is special in some way, that makes my AVR to reproduce it incorrectly.

Thank you!

grazy1982

Hi

I have this problem with a new processor (Rotel RSP 1576). They have actually removed the blurb in the manual (from an older unit) that says it redirects LFE to the Large speakers.

see post here for more details

(1) Rotel Owner's Thread | Page 104 | AVS Forum

my issue is testing it? can you share your files? and do they need to be burnt to disc?

I can only get Dolby Digital to work at the moment! assume its a bug but how this could be missed is concerning!

Last edited:
OP
16 Hz

16 Hz

Hi

I have this problem with a new processor (Rotel RSP 1576). They have actually removed the blurb in the manual (from an older unit) that says it redirects LFE to the Large speakers.

see post here for more details

(1) Rotel Owner's Thread | Page 104 | AVS Forum

my issue is testing it? can you share your files? and do they need to be burnt to disc?

I can only get Dolby Digital to work at the moment! assume its a bug but how this could be missed is concerning!

Hi @grazy1982 , I just saw your answer.

The file I used to test this is the one I mentioned in my post, it's Dolby TrueHD Sound Check, downloadable from https://thedigitaltheater.com/tools/ . I can't link directly to the file.

I haven't burn a disk, I played it with a computer thru an HDMI cable to the receiver, and also played it with Plex in an nVidia Shield connected to the receiver.
In both cases, the LFE channel wasn't redirected to main speakers, and given I don't have a subwoofer, the LFE signal was lost.

OP
16 Hz

16 Hz

What if you set the subwoofer to LFE+main?
http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2300W/NA/EN/GFNFSYaxhqtbzr.php

The TrueHD is uncompressed. Perhaps the processing is different than the other tracks and the reciever isn't properly adding the LFE to the mains.

Hi @SmCaudata, I can't set the subwoofer to LFE+main, because I don't have any subwoofer.
So the LFE signal should be played by my main channels (that are set as large). However, that's not happening.

For any other multichannel format I tried, the LFE signal was always redirected to my main channels.

So I'm wondering if my Denon receiver has a bug related to TrueHD decoding and bass management, or if this particular file has some problem.
I wasn't able to find other speaker mapping test file for Dolby TrueHD (many sites publish the exact same file).

Top Bottom