• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-A1H

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone getting one shipped to Amir?

Gene said Matthew will be measuring it, but not with the AP though. Gene himself will be measuring the AV10, with his AP, likely doing it now.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So wait
If I mostly want to use the A1H as a AV processor, I’d be better served by the older models? And cheaper?
I feel I’m missing something or misunderstanding something

It depends on what you mean by "better served". The A1H has features unique to it that includes the following:

- better DACs (on paper, likely not audibly better)
- more powerful power supply for the power amp section (no advantage if used as processor/preamp)
- 4 subwoofer outputs, XLRs and RCAs
- you can assign the XLR balanced outputs for the LCR channels and use the RCAs for the subwoofers
- two channel XLR balanced inputs (not found in some separate AVPs such as Anthem's)
- option to use Dirac Live DLBC (optional, license fees will be about $800 with DLBC)
- better build quality, such as better heat sinks, more fans (probably no advantage if used as processor/preamp)
- better bench test measurements in SINAD and SNR/DR according to Denon's own bench test results.

If the above means nothing to you then you are right and you may be better served with the old models assuming you can still get them with full warranty. The older model such as the AVC/R-X8500H is almost 20 lbs lighter, that's a major advantage to many people especially those who will use it as preamp/processor.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The A1H has a TI DAC chip???

No, the A1H and AV10 use the ESS chip, the ES9018K2M.

Edit: It might have the TI chips for z2 and z3, as that is the case for other Denon and Marantz AVR/AVC/AVPs.

Last edited:

AngryZeus

It depends on what you mean by "better served". The A1H has features unique to it that includes the following:

- better DACs (on paper, likely not audibly better)
- more powerful power supply for the power amp section (no advantage if used as processor/preamp)
- 4 subwoofer outputs, XLRs and RCAs
- you can assign the XLR balanced outputs for the LCR channels and use the RCAs for the subwoofers
- two channel XLR balanced inputs (not found in some separate AVPs such as Anthem's)
- option to use Dirac Live DLBC (optional, license fees will be about $800 with DLBC)
- better build quality, such as better heat sinks, more fans (probably no advantage if used as processor/preamp)
- better bench test measurements in SINAD and SNR/DR according to Denon's own bench test results.

If the above means nothing to you then you are right and you may be better served with the old models assuming you can still get them with full warranty. The older model such as the AVC/R-X8500H is almost 20 lbs lighter, that's a major advantage to many people especially those who will use it as preamp/processor.
Great summary thank you!

bigguyca

Says DIRAC.

I would like to see some measurements to prove this.
DIRAC is better than Audyssey.

As for an AVR to use as a processor you don't need recommendations just get the cheapest one that has the features you need.

Why?

AngryZeus

I can get the A1H for $5.6k which makes it even more compelling so I’m grabbing it and a new center speaker
I was comparing down market options but at $5.6k it’s an easier decision

bigguyca

Doubtful, it only has a 1100 watt power supply, with all channels driven-73.33 per channel.

You are assuming 100% efficiency. That is nonsense. 50% to 60% is more likely. Accuracy to .33 is nice however. Something like 35W to 50W per channel is more realistic in the real world.

AngryZeus

You are assuming 100% efficiency. That is nonsense. 50% to 60% is more likely. Accuracy to .33 is nice however. Something like 35W to 50W per channel is more realistic in the real world.
What number of channels would you use it for max? - the internal amp

I’ll have 2x Hypex Nilai 500 monoblocks for L/R
And past that already have 2 height and 1 center and 2 rear
Curious how many more channels I can add before needing more amps

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Doubtful, it only has a 1100 watt power supply, with all channels driven-73.33 per channel.

1100 watt power supply is good, but where do you get that information? I have never seen any avr manufacturer listing the PS transormer VA spec.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1100 watt power supply is good, but where do you get that information? I have never seen any avr manufacturer listing the PS transormer VA spec.
Me neither.

I'm not sure if some members understand how rated power consumption is calculated (1100 watts on the back panel).

According to Denon, in the case of 8500 =900 watts (1/8 of maximum non-clipping power, pink-noise,13 ch stereo).
The AVR 8500H can consume up to 2,8kW for a short time.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Me neither.

I'm not sure if some members understand how rated power consumption is calculated (1100 watts on the back panel).

According to Denon, in the case of 8500 =900 watts (1/8 of maximum non-clipping power, pink-noise,13 ch stereo).
The AVR 8500H can consume up to 2,8kW for a short time.

Thanks, didn't realize the 1100 W was on the back panel. In that case, it is not the transformer VA rating at all. I don't know why so many people, even Gene seemed to think that (in one of his review on one of the AVRs). At least for Denon, they seemed to have confirm the rule they used to come up with at number. Try Yamaha's and you will see that they must be have followed a different rule. Without knowing the rule, those numbers are only useful for comparing units within the same brand, better still, same line assuming they don't change the rule for different lines with their brand.

bo_knows

Thanks, didn't realize the 1100 W was on the back panel. In that case, it is not the transformer VA rating at all. I don't know why so many people, even Gene seemed to think that (in one of his review on one of the AVRs). At least for Denon, they seemed to have confirm the rule they used to come up with at number. Try Yamaha's and you will see that they must be have followed a different rule. Without knowing the rule, those numbers are only useful for comparing units within the same brand, better still, same line assuming they don't change the rule for different lines with their brand.
I assume this is the reference to that rated power consumption.

1678198713085.png

AngryZeus

Delivery scheduled for this week, excited to report back on how it fares on stereo for Polk L600

Expanding with L900s on top of the L600, will add L800+L900
And L400
And have an old set of Def Tech BP8040’s for sides
Sun - Rel S812

I will be supplementing LR with Hypex Nilai 500 monoblocks but that won’t get around until April so will have plenty of time to test out the A1H amp

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would be interested to know whether the buckeye amps sound any different to the AV1H... it has quite a beefy amp section

I already told people my buckeye amps don't sound different to any other amps I have compared it with, and in level matched DBT, it definitely could not be identified when compared with my Halo A21 and 4B SST. And gain, if someone tells you it sound different than the A1H but it's not a controlled DBT comparison, then what would be the point, you really still won't know if the two will sound different to you, or me, or anyone anyway. No offence, it's futile.., unless you also sent him your speakers that dip to 1.6 ohm lol...., sorry I try to read your mind haha;)

techsamurai

I already told people my buckeye amps don't sound different to any other amps I have compared it with, and in level matched DBT, it definitely could not be identified when compared with my Halo A21 and 4B SST. And gain, if someone tells you it sound different than the A1H but it's not a controlled DBT comparison, then what would be the point, you really still won't know if the two will sound different to you, or me, or anyone anyway. No offence, it's futile.., unless you also sent him your speakers that dip to 1.6 ohm lol...., sorry I try to read your mind haha;)

When you talk about amp, you're strictly talking power, right? Apparently, there's a lot of literature to support that which is strange BUT folks do detect differences when they switch. So who's right, who's wrong? When you talk DBT are we talking sound that you're familiar with in your room? Because when it comes to your room, I really don't think I can detect changes the way you would.

And vice versa, in my room I'm Captain Picard here - a slight variation of 0.02% in my nacelles and I'll pick it up and check with Engineering. I had my basement finished and I played music and my first reaction was "wth? did I change speakers and amps? :)" Then I realized that my basement was acting as a 5,000-10,000 square foot 3rd speaker with possible room gain and the sound insulation and double drywall cut that down.

The other day I was pressing Auto every time I watched something and a few days later my brain realized something was wrong with the sound based on the number of times I was pressing Auto. I decided to go into my Marantz menu only to find out that my Audyssey curves had been wiped out - levels, crossovers, etc, were still there but the Room Correction was gone. Obviously, I'd picked it up even with unfamiliar content. My own doing a week before that.

I then ran Audyssey using my Roller as a mic stand and it produced very high pitch sound (unbearable). I had to turn off Audyssey. It must have picked up reflections off the top of the roller or it was moving. I went back to using my outdoor pillows as a stand which are flat and stack phenomenally and function like the microfiber couch pillows that would normally be there (they absorb quite a bit apparently). Much better results but it's still a bit off compared to before.

My point is that when we have a baseline for something whether it's wrong or right, we are able to test that baseline much more accurately. I also think that when we test things we invoke the wrong instrument - the ears. The ears can be fooled and have very little memory - one thing that cannot be fooled is our emotional perception of music which is why I always play things that elicit a reaction in me.

Of course, our brains are much more powerful than any measuring tool and can filter stuff out as well as identify tiny variances that are not heard but are certainly detected by us. I think if you play music you're familiar with in an environment that you're familiar with and compare them to equipment that you're familiar with, DBT would be much higher than 50%.

It would be an interesting test for sure.

AngryZeus

When you talk about amp, you're strictly talking power, right? Apparently, there's a lot of literature to support that which is strange BUT folks do detect differences when they switch. So who's right, who's wrong? When you talk DBT are we talking sound that you're familiar with in your room? Because when it comes to your room, I really don't think I can detect changes the way you would.

And vice versa, in my room I'm Captain Picard here - a slight variation of 0.02% in my nacelles and I'll pick it up and check with Engineering. I had my basement finished and I played music and my first reaction was "wth? did I change speakers and amps? :)" Then I realized that my basement was acting as a 5,000-10,000 square foot 3rd speaker with possible room gain and the sound insulation and double drywall cut that down.

The other day I was pressing Auto every time I watched something and a few days later my brain realized something was wrong with the sound based on the number of times I was pressing Auto. I decided to go into my Marantz menu only to find out that my Audyssey curves had been wiped out - levels, crossovers, etc, were still there but the Room Correction was gone. Obviously, I'd picked it up even with unfamiliar content. My own doing a week before that.

I then ran Audyssey using my Roller as a mic stand and it produced very high pitch sound (unbearable). I had to turn off Audyssey. It must have picked up reflections off the top of the roller or it was moving. I went back to using my outdoor pillows as a stand which are flat and stack phenomenally and function like the microfiber couch pillows that would normally be there (they absorb quite a bit apparently). Much better results but it's still a bit off compared to before.

My point is that when we have a baseline for something whether it's wrong or right, we are able to test that baseline much more accurately. I also think that when we test things we invoke the wrong instrument - the ears. The ears can be fooled and have very little memory - one thing that cannot be fooled is our emotional perception of music which is why I always play things that elicit a reaction in me.

Of course, our brains are much more powerful than any measuring tool and can filter stuff out as well as identify tiny variances that are not heard but are certainly detected by us. I think if you play music you're familiar with in an environment that you're familiar with and compare them to equipment that you're familiar with, DBT would be much higher than 50%.

It would be an interesting test for sure.
you have discerning ears!

If I can’t hear the difference between the A1H and my 12yr old Emotiva amp / processor (the cheapest models they had at the time) then I’m giving up on this hobby

techsamurai

you have discerning ears!

If I can’t hear the difference between the A1H and my 12yr old Emotiva amp / processor (the cheapest models they had at the time) then I’m giving up on this hobby

Let's not talk about hearing differences, let's switch to which one do you enjoy more? Do you find yourself going back and playing songs again? Do you subsconsiously avoid playing music or have your habits remained exactly the same as before?

These to me are better indicators of differences than actually saying "whoa, this is sublime".

For instance, I had to use my old AVR which doesn't support DTS Master HD and Dolby True HD and we had to use plain old DTS. I thought it would be an interesting experiment and I would realize how horrible the old formats were compared to the new formats. Well, we watched Top Gun and No Time To Die and, in both instances, my teenage daughter who loves music made remarks about the opening songs (saying that was amazing or moving her arms during Top Gun). It didn't go unnoticed because she's used to the higher detail soundtracks and she rarely commented or exhibited her behavior with those. I was also enthralled by both. I nearly jumped out of my sofa when the Tomcats flew by and the system must have hit 95-100db. That didn't happen at my IMAX theater when I watched Maverick and they have the THX suspended speakers that will probably kill 30 people if they ever fall and I rated that movie experience a 10 :)

Needless to say, it was not what I expected.

Top Bottom