• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR 3700H as Pre amp

jefny

Some 11 years ago I was searching to replace my old Outlaw 950 pre amp that was paired with an Outlaw 770 amp (7 times 200 watts) but could not find a reasonably priced pre amp. I settled for a Marantz 5005 that accommodated my change from a 5.1 to a 7.2 home theater set up. 11 Years later I began to search for a replacement for my Marantz to update the technology and deal with video issues (limit on hdmi inputs and just 1 hdmi out). I stilll find that pre-amp processors are overly expensive and the most reasonable I found did not deal very well with my video needs (3 hdmi inputs AND at least 2 hdmi outputs for an overhead projector and plasma TV).

After some research I began to zero in on the Denon but I wanted to see it in action. I went to a local Best Buy that had a demo model of the Denon but the sales person put in a pitch for a Marantz (AV7706) that would give me "superior" sound but inconveniently was double the price. It wasn't too clear that the Marantz would deal with my video issue and was the sound really "superior." I have two questions:

1-Will the Denon allow me to take any of my hdmi inputs (Tivo, bluray player and Roku) and redirect them to either of the hdmi outputs (the plasma or the overhead projector) though not at the same time.

2-Will the Marantz really give me "superior" sound as opposed to using the Denon as a pre amp?

Thanks in advance.

jefny

Golfx

Forum Donor
I currently use the Denon a110 as just a prepro. ASR reviews of Marantz AVs measure worse SINAD than Denon AVRs. You can search on those to read. And I believe your hdmi inputs will work fine with either video.

OP
J

jefny

Thanks for the reply. The salesman went on for almost 30 minutes about the Marantz pre amp and why the sound was superior to the Denon avr which I planned to use as a preamp. I replied that is this "superior" sound worth twice the price. He never got around to showing me the Denon 3700H which they didn't have in stock anyway (they only had a demo model hidden some place).

There must be a discussion some place of the sound of separates versus an avr even if the avr is being used as a pre amp.

jefny

Golfx

Forum Donor
U are unfamiliar with the last two years of marantz vs denon reviews on thus website. Just Google asr review of marantz av7705 or 8805 vs denon avr 8500h

Golfx

Forum Donor
Btw. The salesman you listened to seems to have sold you a mistaken concept from the past. I too was launched two years ago on an upgrade concept of separates yield better sound. But the SINAD numbers via this website prove otherwise. Math doesn’t have a bias.

OP
J

jefny

Go for the 3700. You’ll be glad.
I plan too but when will it be available again? I also understand that their had been some hdmi 2.1 issues with the Denon but I am not too clear on this.

jefny

Top Bottom