• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AH-D9200 musings

Noodles

So i replaced my Aeon 2 Closed with a Denon 9200 a few days ago because i used to own a D7200 and i got a good deal on the D9200.
Quick checking online and most "impressions" on the 9200 are on snake oil sites like head-fi and online publications, but it doesn't seem anyone with anything close to a measurement rig has done a review on them.
My take is ... i like them, a whole lot.
They sound close to the Focal clear in detail and bass, but the timbre is quite a bit better (not metallic) and the midrange is not forward and not aggressive - they are somewhat neutral with a bump here and there that does in my opinion better the sound.
Honestly, they are quite pleasing.

Anyone else's take on these, maybe @amirm would be sent a pair for review :)

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So i replaced my Aeon 2 Closed with a Denon 9200 a few days ago because i used to own a D7200 and i got a good deal on the D9200.
Quick checking online and most "impressions" on the 9200 are on snake oil sites like head-fi and online publications, but it doesn't seem anyone with anything close to a measurement rig has done a review on them.
They sound close to the Focal clear in detail and bass, but the timbre is quite a bit better (not metallic) and the midrange is not forward and not aggressive - they are somewhat neutral with a bump here and there that does in my opinion betters the sound.

@crinacle has measured a pair on his GRAS rig https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...harman_over-ear_2018/Denon AH-D9200/README.md

Looks good to 200Hz, peak around 4khz. Meant to be comfy. I reckon a fun listen.

OP
Noodles

Noodles

Yep, they are quite pleasant to listen to. Some say they are treble forward ... but i'd second guess their hearing.
I'm sure to be keeping these for the foreseeable future.

d2k5000

I have a pair, and I like them quite a lot. The treble can be a little hot on some songs, but I find them very nice to listen to with most songs.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They sound close to the Focal clear in detail and bass, but the timbre is quite a bit better (not metallic) and the midrange is not forward and not aggressive - they are somewhat neutral with a bump here and there that does in my opinion better the sound.

I have a pair. With EQ, I can honestly say they're probably the best headphones I've ever owned. I like them more than the Stax SR-009, Senn HD800/HD800S with EQ, HE1000v1/2, Focal Utopia, MrSpeakers Ether Flow Open, Mr Speakers Aeon, and AKG N90q. In fact, I think they sound better than my Genelec 8351B with GLM EQ (although they're in a room with horrible acoustics).

Are you using EQ? Here are my filters:
25Hz +6dB Q2.0
40Hz +10dB Q1.2
60Hz +2dB Q2.0
5.4kHz -6.0dB Q3.0
10kHz -5.0dB Q3.0

Everything is perfectly balanced, there's incredible detail without harshness, and the bass is amazing.
These headphones are so underrated, possibly because people don't usually associate high end cans with the brand "Denon."

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I am considering trying the D9200. Curious if any members have also acquired them or if the members above have kept them and or have any updates they might want to share? Do you still enjoy them, or have you moved onto something else?

rcmo

I am considering trying the D9200. Curious if any members have also acquired them or if the members above have kept them and or have any updates they might want to share? Do you still enjoy them, or have you moved onto something else?

I got the D9200 not long ago, after listening to several closed back (totl, expensive?) headphones.
The D9200 are closed back. Closed back. Closed, not open . At it they are one of the best I listened to. And maybe the ones I eq less.

ericafterdark

I am considering the 9200 as well. Stock seems (very) limited. Is Denon possibly going to announce a successor?

OP
Noodles

Noodles

Most likely not soon. It is quite a decent headphone but pad replacements are a pain to find if you don't like the stock pads.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Most likely not soon. It is quite a decent headphone but pad replacements are a pain to find if you don't like the stock pads.
Do they not take the same size as the Fostex woodies?

OP
Noodles

Noodles

No, they are slightly different - I had th900 pads and their flappy Bird that go around the retainer ring was too shallow to fit.
Maybe th610 pads can go over but I cannot comment on that.
On a side note the retainer rings on the Denon are very flimsy... They do sell replacements though. I would recommend having them in hand before making a purchase decision.

ericafterdark

No, they are slightly different - I had th900 pads and their flappy Bird that go around the retainer ring was too shallow to fit.
Maybe th610 pads can go over but I cannot comment on that.
On a side note the retainer rings on the Denon are very flimsy... They do sell replacements though. I would recommend having them in hand before making a purchase decision.

Ok that is some good advice. Thanks!

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If anyone is buying a pair, please consider sending it to Amir for measurement.
These have to be the most underrated overlooked headphones out there.

bhat

I almost bought one last year but found reviews that said they were heavy/uncomfortable. Has that been your experience?

godmax

I almost bought one last year but found reviews that said they were heavy/uncomfortable. Has that been your experience?
The Denon AH-D9200 is and feels very light. No clamping force pressure on my head at least, so I can wear them for a long time without an issue.
One of the finest closed back headphones out there still (my ZMF VC and Stellia are already gone, but the Denon D9200 is still here with me!)

Tachyon88

p.png

OP
Noodles

Noodles

Not heavy But there is an issue with the headband. It has very little padding. It is a problem that can be easily solved and it becomes an issue only when you wear them for several hours.
Apart from that they are pretty comfortable.

ericafterdark

It is going to take a while before the AH-D9200 will arrive. I might give the Focal Celestee a try in the meantime...

_Dekker

For what it's worth: today I had a quick listen to these and the D7200 to see if they might offer something that the 800S does not.
(At home I listen to the 800S with Amir EQ from the 800S review.)
The Denons I listened to without EQ.
First up was the D7200 which was quite underwhelming. The bass seemed good and deep but the halfway from the mids upwards sounded too recessed. One song was enough to lay them aside.
Then the D9200: the sound is very satisfying and quite smooth, not forward or in your face but still very detailed. I was impressed by the open sound of them and did not realize until reading this thread that they are closed backs. This makes it even more impressive.
Compared to the EQ-ed 800S the D9200 seemed a bit more elevated in the bass region. There is some peaking somewhere in the highs which indeed can be a bit harsh sounding in certain songs but it does seem to add livelyness & detail to the sound. This sound feels like the mids do not get as much attention as the rest, maybe you could call it slightly V-shaped.
Both Denons are quite light and very nicely built. The size adjustment mechanism feels robust (all metal) and clicks nicely in the steps you can set. I had to set them just about the largest size to fit my head. Earcups are not very large but fit perfectly.
The cable simply plugs into each earcup and was very easy to switch from one HP to the other.

ericafterdark

For what it's worth: today I had a quick listen to these and the D7200 to see if they might offer something that the 800S does not.
(At home I listen to the 800S with Amir EQ from the 800S review.)
The Denons I listened to without EQ.
First up was the D7200 which was quite underwhelming. The bass seemed good and deep but the halfway from the mids upwards sounded too recessed. One song was enough to lay them aside.
Then the D9200: the sound is very satisfying and quite smooth, not forward or in your face but still very detailed. I was impressed by the open sound of them and did not realize until reading this thread that they are closed backs. This makes it even more impressive.
Compared to the EQ-ed 800S the D9200 seemed a bit more elevated in the bass region. There is some peaking somewhere in the highs which indeed can be a bit harsh sounding in certain songs but it does seem to add livelyness & detail to the sound. This sound feels like the mids do not get as much attention as the rest, maybe you could call it slightly V-shaped.
Both Denons are quite light and very nicely built. The size adjustment mechanism feels robust (all metal) and clicks nicely in the steps you can set. I had to set them just about the largest size to fit my head. Earcups are not very large but fit perfectly.
The cable simply plugs into each earcup and was very easy to switch from one HP to the other.

Nice review! I love my 9200.

Top Bottom