• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon 4700H Auro 3D

bjbeard67

Hi. I am about to buy a Denon 4700H. In the manual it shows setup for an Auro 3D 10.1, with the TC (VOG) coming from SW2 pre-out.
I would like to set up a 7.1.5 Auro 3D speaker system.
Floor FL, FR, C, SL, SR, SBL, SBR
Height FHL, FHR, RHL, RHR, TC
The 4700H is listed as being 9.2 and can do 11.2 with external power amplifier. I am going to get 2 Emotiva A7's for external power amplifiers. If TC is going to SW2, does that mean that 12.1 is possible instead of 11.2, or can I achieve this setup by setting assign mode to pre-amp and plugging external amps into all the pre-amp outlets?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi. I am about to buy a Denon 4700H. In the manual it shows setup for an Auro 3D 10.1, with the TC (VOG) coming from SW2 pre-out.
The 4700H is listed as being 9.2 and can do 11.2 with external power amplifier. I am going to get 2 Emotiva A7's for external power amplifiers. If TC is going to SW2, does that mean that 12.1 is possible instead of 11.2, or can I achieve this setup by setting assign mode to pre-amp and plugging external amps into all the pre-amp outlets?

According to the manual, no. If you want the top center, the 4700 maxxes out at 10.1 whether you use pre-amp mode or not. The manual implies pre-amp mode only supports 9.1, which seems strange to me. The manual also suggests you can choose between front L/R or heights for external power amp, if that's accurate it may be the ideal workaround. Not sure if you've used Auro before, but barely anything comes out of the surrounds. 95% will be L/C/R in 2ch upmixing scenarios. The 4700's amps will be more than adequate with L/R duties offloaded.

As an aside, if this is for 2ch music upmixing, IMO you can save some budget by skipping center. I've personally never met a center at any price point that I like with 2ch music. Auro and, to a lesser extent, Dolby (even w center spread) are a little overzealous with "pushing" content into the center such that it collapses the stereo image. If for mixed use, then a *good* center is recommended but I'd still advocate skipping it altogether until you have budget for a quality option.

MLaranjeiras

It will not support 12 discret channels. As long as I know, Auro goes up to 10.1 channels. Please, check this link https://manuals.denon.com/avcx4700h/eu/en/DRDZSYrjomlmpo.php

Top Bottom