• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon 3700H, 4700H, 6700H

rccarguy

20' max for me is enough but understand not enough everyone

Wonder other room eq arc, Dirac, ypao etc what their max is

EB1000

After returning the X6400H, I got the Yamaha RXA2070 from the showroom as a temporary solution. The distance settings can reach 50ft w/o any limit on the relative distance to LP.

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Per previous discussion, it appears the room correction brand is not the limit here. Its the AVR manufacturer implementation.

Too bad, as I am really interested in the Denon due to the preamp implementation and resultant SINAD. I have a Yamaha now, and sure enough like most of the trusted site reviews I have seen of YPAO, it does not do a very good job. I have much better results with manual measuring/PEQ/time alignment, etc.

juma

Im wondering if can you ear or feel the DDSC HD (dynamic discrete circuits) and AL32 (32-bit upsampling) of the AVR-X4700H to justify the premium vs the AVR-X3700H, because for me its the only difference between those two. I hope someone will test and review this ! I think there is also a difference in the pre out quality but cant remember what it is ...

Because I just upgraded my 5.1 speaker and im looking for an HDMI 2.1 amp solution. I planned on buying the cheapest denon 2020 with pre amp out (AVR-X3700H) at 1200$ to pair it with an external amp like an outlaw 5000 at 600$ that can drive 5 channel at 120 watt/each for a total of 1800$ so it would maybe outperform the 1700$ AVR-X4700H in sound quality.

With 1700-1800$ I really wonder witch combo would sound better, 50% music 50% HT. I only have a 5.1 and dont plan to fill up the living room with more speaker so ...

Last edited:

shellback

Audio Company
Im wondering if can you ear or feel the DDSC HD (dynamic discrete circuits) and AL32 (32-bit upsampling) of the AVR-X4700H to justify the premium vs the AVR-X3700H, because for me its the only difference between those two. I hope someone will test and review this ! I think there is also a difference in the pre out quality but cant remember what it is ...
I have the same question. Look here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-avr-review-updated.14493/page-25#post-449501

Giakk

Hi, I would love to have your opinion.
I own a AVR-X3500H which is giving me problems (randomly shuts down into protection with red led blinking), assistance told me it is necessary to change the main control board (euro 400).
I am thinking if it's worthy to repair it or upgrade to new models. My setup is a 5.0 (probably adding a sw in a near future) and I rarely listen at very high volumes. I am not using an external amp and my speakers are all by Klipsch: fronts RP-6000F, center RP-500C, surr RP-402S.
Would you think I would get much improvement in sound quality having a 3700, 4700 or 6700?
The use is 30%music 40%movies 30%gaming.
In my 5.0/5.1 configuration, should I live happy with my 3500 or an upgrade would be enjoyable? In this case, it will be significant going to 4700/6700 models?
Thanks a lot

amper42

Major Contributor
Hi, I would love to have your opinion.
I own a AVR-X3500H which is giving me problems (randomly shuts down into protection with red led blinking), assistance told me it is necessary to change the main control board (euro 400).
I am thinking if it's worthy to repair it or upgrade to new models. My setup is a 5.0 (probably adding a sw in a near future) and I rarely listen at very high volumes. I am not using an external amp and my speakers are all by Klipsch: fronts RP-6000F, center RP-500C, surr RP-402S.
Would you think I would get much improvement in sound quality having a 3700, 4700 or 6700?
The use is 30%music 40%movies 30%gaming.
In my 5.0/5.1 configuration, should I live happy with my 3500 or an upgrade would be enjoyable? In this case, it will be significant going to 4700/6700 models?
Thanks a lot

The Denon 3500 is an older design. Personally, I would rather upgrade than repair. These receivers are complicated and once you have a failure it's not uncommon for failures in other sections. Also, if it needs to be shipped for repair that adds additional failure/damage risk. If you don't use height speakers then you won't miss the Auto-3D function in the Denon 4700. In that case, I would recommend the 3700. It will easily drive your Klipsch. I would also recommend the AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7 for $20 to keep it cool. If in the future you want to try an external amp or use it in preamp mode the 3700 has that flexibility.

Giakk

Thanks for your answer. The repair center is in my city and I don't need to ship, but I am also afraid for other failures.
In my livingroom I will never put hight speakers (unless until when they will be wireless) and don't need the Auro-3d or the little extra power of the 4700. I only guess if there is an improvement in sound quality, regardless of power, because of AL32, the 8500 sotware, the DDSC HD and the clock jitter reducer. The difference in price is not s big.
Probably the 6700 would be a waste for my simple setup. Do you agree?

amper42

Major Contributor
I have the 4700. If I didn't like Auro-3D with my front and rear height speakers I would have saved the money and bought the Denon 3700. I don't hear much difference as a result of AL32 or DDSC. They seem to be as much marketing as tech?

With receiver features changing every other year, it's hard to justify the cost of the 6700 for me. In my opinion, it would be difficult to hear a difference between the 3700 and the 6700 with your speakers. I would recommend the Denon 3700 for your described setup.

Giakk

Thank you very much! You mean that my Klipsch loudspeakers setup really sucks? LoL :) I believe that any AV setup, expecially driven by an AVR, isn't good for serious music listening

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Im wondering if can you ear or feel the DDSC HD (dynamic discrete circuits) and AL32 (32-bit upsampling) of the AVR-X4700H to justify the premium vs the AVR-X3700H, because for me its the only difference between those two.

I can understand there is a difference in theory/on paper but I have owned several Denon (AL32 and AL24) and two Marantz (that don't have such things) and there is no way I could hear a difference. Even in theory, I just can't see how someone could tell such minute difference when watch movies that have all sorts of different sound at the same time. None of those features would affect the analog signal chain so for music there won't be any difference for me either.

Giakk

The use I do with this setup when listening to stereo music is streaming from spotify/tidal or listening CD on my Bluray player connected by hdmi, so analog circuits are left unused.

amper42

Major Contributor
Thank you very much! You mean that my Klipsch loudspeakers setup really sucks? LoL :) I believe that any AV setup, expecially driven by an AVR, isn't good for serious music listening

The Klipsch speakers have a high sensitivity rating. As a result, the Denon 3700 can easily drive them. The Sinad rating on the Denon 3700 is really good for an AVR. It can provide a nice platform for music and home theatre at a reasonable price. Audyssey room EQ is an added bonus!

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds more like to me a different marketer wrote the prose, rather than there is something different about the subwoofer output calibration between the two models.
Having worked for years with marketing departments, yup.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2. Denon uses a relatively cheap (I've seen worse) microphone with a generic correction for that microphone.
Kal, why do you say? Because here https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/377/~/audyssey-/-denon-microphone---calibration it says "It is important to use ONLY the microphone that is supplied with the Denon receiver as the calibration curve built into the receiver is specific to that microphone." OR, what do you mean by "generic" in this instance? (Personally, I always assumed mic-to-mic differences would not be huge anyway, however that belief is based on zero data about cheap electret capsules)

ARNiTECT

I am considering an X3700H or X4700H to use as a processor only.
How close is the DAC and preamp compared to a good standalone stereo DAC/preamp?
There seem to be a couple of 'sound enhancement' features in the 4700 over the 3700 (jitter & DDSC), are these noticeable?

I am looking for a replacement for my old Audiolab 8200AP, which is an amazing 8-channel DAC/preamp. I recently bought an Arcam AVR550, which fell short of the clarity and natural sound of the 8200AP, so I am looking to swap it and the x3700h/x4700h review well.

amper42

Major Contributor
I am considering an X3700H or X4700H to use as a processor only.
How close is the DAC and preamp compared to a good standalone stereo DAC/preamp?
There seem to be a couple of 'sound enhancement' features in the 4700 over the 3700 (jitter & DDSC), are these noticeable?

I am looking for a replacement for my old Audiolab 8200AP, which is an amazing 8-channel DAC/preamp. I recently bought an Arcam AVR550, which fell short of the clarity and natural sound of the 8200AP, so I am looking to swap it and the x3700h/x4700h review well.

Sinad measurements for the Denon 3700 are "98" and Denon 4700 "97". They are not as high as a Topping E30 at 112 but I cannot tell the difference in my listening. I have gotten to the point where anything measuring above 89 is good enough and after that it's pretty much a math game and not relatable to my quality of listening. I recommend buying on features you desire rather than try to attain the absolute highest measurements. It gets to a point where it's more theory than audible.

oupee

Sinad measurements for the Denon 3700 are "98" and Denon 4700 "97". They are not as high as a Topping E30 at 112 but I cannot tell the difference in my listening. I have gotten to the point where anything measuring above 89 is good enough and after that it's pretty much a math game and not relatable to my quality of listening. I recommend buying on features you desire rather than try to attain the absolute highest measurements. It gets to a point where it's more theory than audible.

Denon 4700 for 1700 USD includes a processor, 12xDAC, HDMI circuits, 9x amplifier ... 1700USD : 9 amplifiers x 2 is 377 USD. The 4700 stereo sound is at the level of a $ 377 stereo amplifier, which is still a very positive estimate.
If you don't hear the difference, something is wrong. Unsuitable room, bad speakers or ears can't handle it.

Top Bottom