• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon 3700H, 4700H, 6700H

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These were accidentally leaked on the German Denon site, and were now taken down

https://translate.google.com/transl...on-avc-x3700h-9-2-kanal-av-receiver-hdmi-2-1/
1591048647771.png

https://translate.google.com/transl...on-avc-x4700h-av-verstaerker-mit-hdmi-2-1-8k/
1591048629820.png

https://translate.google.com/transl...leakt-11-2-kanal-av-receiver-mit-hdmi-2-1-8k/
1591048620970.png

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had been wondering if they were skipping an X4600 release.

I have the X4200W, and I want to upgrade to a 4000 series with the Audyssey app. I guess I'll wait for a price drop on the X4500 when the X4600 comes out.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If they only had dirac. :D

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Maybe Dirac has to change their licensing policy. As in: lower price, but ten thousands more sold.

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sound United bought the Audyssey patents so they are not going to switch to Dirac when they no longer have to worry about licensing fees.

An update to the target curve and MultEQ app, and a more powerful DSP to add more filters could bump them up to the next level.

SirMaster

Sound United bought the Audyssey patents so they are not going to switch to Dirac when they no longer have to worry about licensing fees.

An update to the target curve and MultEQ app, and a more powerful DSP to add more filters could bump them up to the next level.

What I really wish they would do is let us use our own mic with calibration file.

That’s what makes Dirac stand out to me.

I have measured a few Denon mics compared to a calibrated mic and they are pretty far off and there is even a large inconsistency between individual Denon mics.

What’s the point in calibrating your speakers to a mic that is far off from a reference response measurement?

At the very least, let me measure my Denon mic vs my calibrated mic in REW and spit out a calibration text file for the Denon mic that can be uploaded to the Denon over the web UI. How hard could that be? To apply a simple curve to the mic measurements before EQ.

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thursday 3PM EST is when Audioholics is going to have a Virtual Press Event for “new Denon AVRs”.

SynthesisCinema

Great news guys! People were hoping they would add the Pre-amp mode in the lower cost models and this could be game changer for many who wants cheaper processor. X3600H measured by @amirm already showed great promise. X6700H could compete with higher costing products perhaps as it has 13.2 processing and DTS X Pro. :) Also two presets for Audussey this time!

75530955ed8c6aa22bd4.jpg

75530955ed8c7c51b1de.jpg

75530955ed8c641ecfc5.jpg

75530955ed8c5a2ed6bc.jpg

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the independent subwoofer outputs. Independent calibration is a big plus. Also like the two different calibration settings. It looks like we could set up a complete path for music (external DAC input, pre-amp assign, external stereo amplifier for music, independent, specific audyssey room correction and calibration for 2.1/2.2 w/subwoofer). And a second complete path for home theater (use onboard processing and dac for atmos etc. with audyssey calibration and room correction for home theater speaker arrangment).

That affords some interesting flexibility.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the independent subwoofer outputs. Independent calibration is a big plus.

Audyssey only sets level and delay independently for subwoofers, this doesn't mean that it's going to correct them individually, it still sums the output for that. It's also not a new feature, older Denons do the same.

Trouble Maker

Well, if the preamp on all channels mode is not proof at least some of the big companies are following (social media) sentiment and what is being done here and to a lesser extent a few other places, I don't know what is. There is no way they will come out and say it, or post directly here, so this is as close as we will probably get to proof of what you all are doing here moving the needle.

On one hand, I can't understand what seems like the lack of quantitative targets for many of these products. On the other hand, having worked on many products that end up in consumer hands, it's easy to miss things, lose sight of the forest due to the trees, not have solid process, review and work flow in place that can cause quality of design issues. We have to keep in mind these are quite complicated products. We definitely shouldn't just allow the makers too much slack and demand quality products, but assuming these things measure decently there is an awful lot of features and content in these products for a few hundred to one or two thousand dollars.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The marketing material on the Denon site seems to indicate a difference in room correction support in the new generation.

This is what it says for the 3700 -
DUAL SUBWOOFER OUTPUTS
Immerse yourself in evenly distributed, accurate bass. The AVR-X3700H features two subwoofer outputs to smooth out low frequencies and provide better dispersion. Connected subwoofers can be calibrated independently with Audyssey Sub EQ HT for more seamless bass performance tailored to your room. No audible peaks or dips — just powerful, room-filling bass.

This is what it says for the 3600-
DUAL SUBWOOFER OUTPUTS
Immerse yourself in evenly distributed, accurate bass. The AVR-X3600H features two subwoofer outputs to smooth out low frequencies and provide better dispersion. No audible peaks or dips — just powerful, room-filling bass.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The marketing material on the Denon site seems to indicate a difference in room correction support in the new generation.

Well, no idea, if bass management in Audyssey was changed that would be pretty big news and I haven't seen anyone talk about this. If there's an actual feature change there they should state it correctly and explain it in the manual, because the X6700H manual, which is available on their site, has the exact same text about subwoofers as older products.

Nq3fzQj.png

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This is what it says for the 3700 -
DUAL SUBWOOFER OUTPUTS
Immerse yourself in evenly distributed, accurate bass. The AVR-X3700H features two subwoofer outputs to smooth out low frequencies and provide better dispersion. Connected subwoofers can be calibrated independently with Audyssey Sub EQ HT for more seamless bass performance tailored to your room. No audible peaks or dips — just powerful, room-filling bass.

This is what it says for the 3600-
DUAL SUBWOOFER OUTPUTS
Immerse yourself in evenly distributed, accurate bass. The AVR-X3600H features two subwoofer outputs to smooth out low frequencies and provide better dispersion. No audible peaks or dips — just powerful, room-filling bass.

Sounds more like to me a different marketer wrote the prose, rather than there is something different about the subwoofer output calibration between the two models.

Zedly

Forum Donor
Is there really much benefit in having DTS:X Pro on the X6700H, since it only processes 13.2 channels? That's only 2 more channels than regular DTS:X. It seems to me that someone really interested in DTS:X Pro would be looking into a 16-channel processor instead.

BsdKurt

Forum Donor
The preamp mode is all or nothing it seems. The ideal compromise would be to allow Front Left Right and Center to be disconnected, and use the internal amps for the remaining channels. I think they slightly missed the mark on this feature.

Edit: After watching the whole video, you can still disconnect front left and right and use internal amplification for the rest of the channels (same as the x3600h). However, I still think the optimal solution for price/performance would be to able to disconnect the center channel as well so that the most demanding channels can be offloaded to better amps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom