• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dennon x3300 vs x3700

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have Forte 2. 99db
The Denon will only show down to -12 on the AVR display.
I am using Multeq-x on my pc and it will show lower on the pc if you go past -12.
I will set the Crown so it shows -10 on the AVR and do a full calibration..
Thank you for your advice.
How many calibration spots do you usually do?
Have you used Multeq-x?
Any tips?

6 or 8 never made much difference to me so I would say 6 will do, it saves time. 99 dB/2.83V/m is quite high, that's why you are getting -12. You can turn the knob down further but -12 is still fine. I have not used the X but I used the $20 Editor app, that to me is just as good, just more work, and you have to know what you are doing, and use REW to check the actual results. If you have the X then of course it makes it easier to tweak, if you have to.

OP
Cadmobile500

Cadmobile500

6 or 8 never made much difference to me so I would say 6 will do, it saves time. 99 dB/2.83V/m is quite high, that's why you are getting -12. You can turn the knob down further but -12 is still fine. I have not used the X but I used the $20 Editor app, that to me is just as good, just more work, and you have to know what you are doing, and use REW to check the actual results. If you have the X then of course it makes it easier to tweak, if you have to.
I turned the Crown down, did another single position measurement and sent it to the AVR.
This is what I got;
Will give my wife a break for a bit and do a 6 position measurement later.
When you do 6 do you do the first 6 that Audyssey recommends?
What is the spacing between you use?

Attachments

• 20230325_142917.jpg
    20230325_142917.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 32

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I turned the Crown down, did another single position measurement and sent it to the AVR.
This is what I got;
Will give my wife a break for a bit and do a 6 position measurement later.
When you do 6 do you do the first 6 that Audyssey recommends?
What is the spacing between you use?
Yes, just follow the diagram. For spacing, it depends on your seating arrangement, I only need one seat so I uses about 18 inches. There are no fixed rules but I think 12 to 24 inches should be good.

funnychap

Long time listener, first time caller.
Not sure if this is the right section to ask this so sorry in advance
I have a Denon x3300 I use for a 5.2 living room home theater/TV and for streaming Amazon Music Unlimited from my smart TV.
Would the x3700 sound better for music? I understand the x3700 has more bells and whistles, but what I'm mostly concerned with is sound quality when listening to HD music.
My (mis)understanding is that the x3800 does not sound as good as the x3700(sinad is worse) and that alot of the newer AVRs don't sound as good because of a shortage of the better DAC chips.
I plan on upgrading to an external power amp in the near future because I like to listen loud.
How is the DAC and overall sound quality of the x3700 compared to the x3300?
Also, I demoed an Onkyo tx-rz50 for a few days. Imo, it lacked the midrange presence of the Dennon and the overall sound just wasn't as appealing to me. Loved all the bells and whistles and could have probably made it sound better if i messed with Dirac more(downloaded Harman curves, moved curtains, ect), but on the 3rd day it started making noise out of the subwoofers when I shut it off so it's going back.
I love this forum because the reviews go past personal preference in sound and technical specs are posted.
Thank you for your time.
Tom
I've been in the hobby since 2000. I have the Arcam AVR5 in a 7.2.4 setup with my 150in screen and even the Arcam by itself sounds way way better than my Denon X3700H in a 5.2.4 setup even with 100% external amps. And yes, I did compare both receivers in the same room.

Guest bedroom/theater with 150in screen in a 7.2.4 setup:
Arcam AVR5 powers LCR
Emotiva BasX-A3 powers surround L and R (BasX does not have good dynamic range so I relegate it to the surrounds)
3 old Denon 1912 receivers power the rear surrounds and 4 atmos speakers
2 subwoofers: Definitive Technology Supercube 6000 and 2000

Family room in a 5.2.4 setup:
Denon X3700H powers the center channel, surround L and R, 4 atmos
Parasound Zonemaster 2 powers the L and R (and makes 2-channels music way better than Denon or Emotiva BasX-A3).
2 subwoofers: Definitive Technology Supercube 6000 and 2000

funnychap

The X3300 should perform fine relative the the 3700/3800. I would first maximize you have…
-Get the best speakers you can
-Get the Audyssey app and test to see if limiting correction to 300hz or so sounds better than full range correction
-Get the bass right/equalized. Audyssey does pretty well with sub(s). Either use the app to create a room curve (and be sure to raise sub trim too). Or play with DEQ and reference level offset.
-If you use external amps, be sure they get to full power with around 1.2-1.4v and not 2v.
All what DJ7675 said will bring you up to the level of your current sources. To get to the next level with your current equipments is to get a better source.
Streaming would be: Apple Music lossless, and Apple TV for movies
Physical discs played on a Panasonic 4k player (models DP-UB420-K or higher): CDs and blu-ray or 4k movies

Then when you're ready for the next level after sources, upgrade to a better receiver that has a better power supply and DAC inside like Arcam, Anthem, JBL.

Top Bottom