• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips

essence

I am lucky enough to be in a location that has a local Denafrips representative that allows me to home demo products. I trialled the Terminator but at the time of consideration there was more than a 3 months+ backlog, couldn't wait so I ended up getting a soekris dac instead.

For the price they make very compelling products and seem to be a very measurement / objectively driven company. Alvin from vinshineaudio was also very responsive when I asked about detailed technical information. I have a Hyperion and I can confidently state the specs reported are very conservatively rated.

ethanhallbeyer

I don't know about agd, but i bought Denafrips Hestia preamp and it's top notch as is their customer service. All my questions were answered quickly and shipping to EU took less than week (i think, it was quick anyway). I got mine from Vinshineaudio, ask Alvin, he will take care of your needs.
Hestia is insanely good for the price and my needs and it's pretty cool to use too.

How i rate them ? *****/5
https://www.vinshineaudio.com/

Just curious if you are still liking your Hestia preamp, and whether you ever considered the Kinki Studio preamp. I'm interested in the Denafrips Athena, but only because I would like 2 xlr outs in order to split the dac with my amp+speakers and hpa+headphones. Seems like an expensive way to get another set of xlr outs. Makes me wonder if I should just get 2 separate DACs and preamps instead and still come out cheaper than the Athena.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I'm interested in the Denafrips Athena, but only because I would like 2 xlr outs in order to split the dac with my amp+speakers and hpa+headphones.

I'm thinking that if both the amp and the hpa has some lovely high input impedances, simply using a splitter cable shouldn't cause any problems.

ethanhallbeyer

I'm thinking that if both the amp and the hpa has some lovely high input impedances, simply using a splitter cable shouldn't cause any problems.

I was using a passive XLR switch but noticed when i removed it from the chain the sound thru amp/speaker was noticeably louder/fuller.

What should I be looking for in terms of optimal impedances? I can look up the specs of my amp, hpa and dac.

The input impedance of my hpa (Drop 789) is 50 kOhms . I will have to check and see if I can find the input impedance of the amp I use.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I was using a passive XLR switch but noticed when i removed it from the chain the sound thru amp/speaker was noticeably louder/fuller.

Yeah, the two impedances in paralle will give a combined input impedance that, depending on the output impedance of your source, will lower the amplitude of the signal.

What should I be looking for in terms of optimal impedances?

Hard to say. 2x 50K + 150 Ohms output impedance on the source would be nice when using a splitter, but I guess the only "problem" you'd have, if the combo doesn't pull too much current from the source, is the one you already pointed out. That you'll have to crank the volume on the amp a bit more.

Alternatively you could look for an active XLR splitter, although I doubt it'll be a cost effective solution...

Snafu

Just curious if you are still liking your Hestia preamp, and whether you ever considered the Kinki Studio preamp.

Actually i was close to buy Kinki (pre amp + monoblocks), but after all went with Hestia and kept my mono tube power amps. Haven't had second thoughts. Hestia works like a charm, haven't had any problems.

:)

ethanhallbeyer

Actually i was close to buy Kinki (pre amp + monoblocks), but after all went with Hestia and kept my mono tube power amps. Haven't had second thoughts. Hestia works like a charm, haven't had any problems.

:)

I haven't heard either but based on some limited things I read by some who have, one youtube or in forums, it seems like the Hestia may be a bit better sounding than the Kinki ex-p7. I would go with Hestia but I have been wanting 2 sets of xlr outs (one for amp+speaker, one for hpa+headphones), so instead am looking at the Athena. Either that or have a separate DAC for the hpa+headphones.

Seems that many of the pre-amps and DACs I've looked at don't have 12v triggers either.

Pjetrof

Do i need to start a new thread?
question denafrips vs kinki?
both distributed by vinshine audio
same factory? Diffrent name?

Veri

Master Contributor
same factory? Diffrent name?
Not at all. "Musician Audio" Pegasus and Denafrips Ares II, on the other hand, look like OEM clones. But Kinki is an entirely different manufacturer, design, everything really. In any case if you consider any of these, the Ares II has been reviewed pretty well by Amirm. Pricy, but at least not badly performing at all.

Pjetrof

Not at all. "Musician Audio" Pegasus and Denafrips Ares II, on the other hand, look like OEM clones. But Kinki is an entirely different manufacturer, design, everything really. In any case if you consider any of these, the Ares II has been reviewed pretty well by Amirm. Pricy, but at least not badly performing at all.

any thoughts on kinki?
basically my system is up for sale.
wanted to go active.
but afraid.

Pjetrof

Denafrips new power amp Apollo 55kg. 225 watt 8 ohm 450 watt 4 ohm.
https://www.denafrips.com/apollo
Some measurements.
72332637-AE64-47FC-8D77-1B4EC66DD25D.png

B623F404-B728-4DD3-9ECB-AAF75EE22DBA.png

F64954FF-7231-4CBA-BB88-913E843302D7.png

Vulcanore

I have an Apollo Amplifier also A Kinki pre and terminator which is controlled by a Hermes DDC and a Lumin U1Mini This Amplifier is the best Amplifier I have owned in about 45 years in HiFi. both running a HiFi Shop and as an owner of many amplifiers.
The Apollo just does its job no it has not got a sound it does not do anything smart, only disappears,
This amp runs hot, i mean cook eggs hot but for the sound it produces or lack of any sound PAY THE MONEY it is worth twice what you pay I am running it into Apertura Armonia Evolution Speakers in a ROON Based Streaming SYSTEM
I am from UK living in Singapore, and using this amp in a small room.

Attachments

• Listening Area1.jpg
    Listening Area1.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 658

ThomasMac

I can't figure out why Denaphrips makes their pre amps with such low input inpendance. They don't even match when using XLR on with the Ares II.

Ellisr63

I just got my Denafrips Pontus II, and I love it so far. I am using it for Roon only though currently... I run USB from my Roon Windows NUC to the Pontus with the Balanced XLRs out to my Marantz AV8805A Balanced XLR ins. I have the input set for Direct (to bypass the ESS Marantz DAC). I am def hearing more clarity in the vocals and some sounds sound more realistic tonally. As an example I listened to the song Crystal Eyes and the finger snaps were indistinguishable from my own finger snaps. I also noticed that on some tracks I now can hear what i thought was one instrument and it is actually 2 instruments with one behind the other a few feet. I was leary about being able to hear much if anything positive and I am glad I made the jump.

Vulcanore

I have an Apollo Amplifier also A Kinki pre and terminator which is controlled by a Hermes DDC and a Lumin U1Mini This Amplifier is the best Amplifier I have owned in about 45 years in HiFi. both running a HiFi Shop and as an owner of many amplifiers.
The Apollo just does its job no it has not got a sound it does not do anything smart, only disappears,
This amp runs hot, i mean cook eggs hot but for the sound it produces or lack of any sound PAY THE MONEY it is worth twice what you pay I am running it into Apertura Armonia Evolution Speakers in a ROON Based Streaming SYSTEM
I am from UK living in Singapore, and using this amp in a small room.
Yes me again I SOLD THE KINKI PRE BOUGHT THE ATHENA AHHHHH BIG BIG IMPROVMENT TRUE IT IS A PERFECT MATCH FOR MY APOLLO AMPLIFIER

Ellisr63

I have now added a Lumin U1 Mini, and the Denafrips Athena preamp, and for all the nay sayers there is a difference to be heard...with the biggest difference being the DAC. I love the holographic presentation my setup has now,

Ellisr63

Nobody is saying nay to a difference. There's always a difference to be heard. What we'll disagree upon is probably the cause of the difference.
I took the 2nd post as saying it would not make a difference. "Getting a Denafrips, chord or Yggdrasil will not improve your sound."

Top Bottom