• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips

Kw6

To the digital experts here!. What do you guys think of the Denafrips Ares and Terminator dacs? Lot of buzz around these two units.

I currently have a Cambridge 851N streamer. Also a Blusound Node 2. I am considering the Chord Qutest or the Schiit Yaggrisil.

Thanks!

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To the digital experts here!. What do you guys think of the Denafrips Ares and Terminator dacs? Lot of buzz around these two units.

I currently have a Cambridge 851N streamer. Also a Blusound Node 2. I am considering the Chord Qutest or the Schiit Yaggrisil.

Thanks!
Why? What are you trying to accomplish? Put the money where they do the most. Room treatment, DSP, speakers or headphones. Getting a Denafrips, chord or Yggdrasil will not improve your sound.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@Kw6 Despite what many say, the DAC is not the bottleneck to performance in your playback chain, and DACs have no intrinsic sonic signature. If you look up the reviews here you'll see that R2R DACs tend to measure poorly as well.

If you have questions about why this is the case we can discuss it.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May I ask why? What improvements are you expecting for? I'd say the 851N is decent enough. Also, there is a HUGE gap in performance between the Qutest and the Yggdrasil...

What do you guys think of the Denafrips Ares and Terminator dacs? Lot of buzz around these two units.
Well, I guess that's why. Going only by what get a lot of buzz is a good start to be disappointed long-term...

You have to understand that ASR folks are looking for objective performance above all. The 851N hasn't been measured here, sure. But I doubt there will be much audible improvements between this and the Qutest. Sure, the 3V output will make you believe there is...

Spend your money in a decent power amp, speakers or headphones for what matters!;)

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Everyone relax, one of my friend ordered an Terminator 2. He promised to send it to me for measurement as soon as possible after getting it.;)

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
Terminator 2
Come with me if you want to live snake oil.

I have learned that massive transformers and staggering banks of capacitors have nothing to do with objective performance. Indeed the high-performing devices measured on this forum do not have such visually impressive layouts. If anything, such layouts mean hype- and snake oil-based products.

But I'm willing to eat crow for once. Prove me wrong, Denafrips.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What I don’t like about Denafrips is them wanting to hide some of the components they use, if you look at interior shots, they literally scratch off the name of some chips (it’s an AKM chip if I remember).

As for the Terminator, they state a THD+N (SINAD) of 0.0010% (100dB), so for ~$4500, I don’t see why you’d bother. Even if wanting R2R, the cheaper Holo Audio Spring that @WolfX-700 measured is better, let alone the Holo Audio May.

Last edited:

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
What I don’t like about Denafrips is them wanting to hide some of the components they use, if you look at interior shots, they literally scratch off the name of some chips (it’s an AKM chip if I remember).

As for the Terminator, they state a THD+N (SINAD) of 0.0010% (100dB), so for ~$4500, I don’t see why you’d bother. Even if wanting R2R, the cheaper Holo Audio Spring that @WolfX-700 is better, let alone the Holo Audio May.

I've done Spring and May measurements ...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-holo-audio-spring-dac.10047/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...may-probably-the-best-discrete-r2r-dac.10161/

So ... Terminator 2 is fun

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Currently there is only one Terminator 2. Other are fakes.

Terminator.png

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Do we really need to waste Amir's time on anything Denafrips?

'So many devices, so little time' Why waste it here?

OP
K

Kw6

Why? What are you trying to accomplish? Put the money where they do the most. Room treatment, DSP, speakers or headphones. Getting a Denafrips, chord or Yggdrasil will not improve your sound.
Thanks for the advice! I kinda figured that much! Lots of people pushing the next best thing but emperor has no new clothes!

OP
K

Kw6

Thanks for all your opinions! The reason I joined this group is to get straight answers no fluff. My main speakers are the Monitor Audio gold 100 5g, I also have Maggie 1.7i.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Everyone relax, one of my friend ordered an Terminator 2. He promised to send it to me for measurement as soon as possible after getting it.;)
Easiest way to resolve the debate. Nice.

OP
K

Kw6

I can't wait till you guys put the Terminator through its paces!

Top Bottom