• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips

OP
K

Kw6

As a side note! Regarding the PS Audio Directstream. I was always lusting after this dac but was out of reach$. I always attributed a huge airy sound with excellent resolution with this dac. When I read your archive test. Now I see they are trying to tailor a certain sound with that output transformer. But JA of Stereophile uses it as his reference and he apparently had good measurements with it. What gives!☺

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
he apparently had good measurements with it
What good measurements lmao. JA's measurements showed even worse results than Amir's.

OP
K

Kw6

What good measurements lmao. JA's measurements showed even worse results than Amir's.
That's what I dont understand why JA would use it as his reference dac. Wouldn't he be afraid of the audio community laughing at him using a dac that measures poorly!

OP
K

Kw6

Although JA in another test of Chord Qutest it showed excellent results which coinsides with Amir's test of the Qutest. So we know his testing equipment is working properly!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what I dont understand why JA would use it as his reference dac.
For JA, everything measures good enough, even when he brings the evidence himself that something is broken ... :rolleyes:
Wouldn't he be afraid of the audio community laughing at him using a dac that measures poorly!
Since when on Earth audiophile community cares about measurements?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what I dont understand why JA would use it as his reference dac. Wouldn't he be afraid of the audio community laughing at him using a dac that measures poorly!
HiFi is a fashion industry. It depends of certain brands and technologies being popular for people to pay the prices and feed "upgradeitis". Marketing and advertising budgets are pushing this as are personal friendships between journalists and importers/manufacurers. This last is why different brands are sometimes the fashionable one in different countries, though the internet has dampened this tendency.
PS Audio is a big advertiser in Stereophile and its owner a popular figure. Lots of people like the sound of the sort of the type of distortion added by transformers.

OP
K

Kw6

HiFi is a fashion industry. It depends of certain brands and technologies being popular for people to pay the prices and feed "upgradeitis". Marketing and advertising budgets are pushing this as are personal friendships between journalists and importers/manufacurers. This last is why different brands are sometimes the fashionable one in different countries, though the internet has dampened this tendency.
PS Audio is a big advertiser in Stereophile and its owner a popular figure. Lots of people like the sound of the sort of the type of distortion added by transformers.
Yeah I get what you are saying!

Russ_L

Forum Donor
Nailed it.

Alas there will always be folks who believe that compared to chip-based DACs, R-2R sounds "better" or "different". Such as some people in this here thread...
If you’re trying to make a point here I’m missing it.

Russ

solderdude

Grand Contributor
But until then you don’t know that. Maybe a surprise.

Russ

Well the May does perform slightly better but ought to for the price hike.
I would say audibly indistinguishable at least in OS mode.
Pick one based on price and looks here.

jaggi

Everyone relax, one of my friend ordered an Terminator 2. He promised to send it to me for measurement as soon as possible after getting it.;)

terminator.jpg

Hmmm, i like this guy :cool:

Last edited:

Ratatoskr

Before you consider sending your money overseas to buy a Terminator (or anything from Denafrips) take a look at this video made by Mike Powell, the former US dealer/distributor for Denafrips.

jaggi

Goddammit greedy yellow hands... but prices of Polish and European producers are also bananas (and sometimes have little to do with good quality).
Relax bro, i only like the shiny metal guy from "Futurama". Personally, ordered my DAC from Jeff Zhu.

BTW if you're into karma, then you should probably throw away most of your stuff, which means all you bought cheap.
Otherwise you will be reborn as a fly. You know why?

Last edited:

Pjetrof

Does our experienced EE people have experience with this Brand Company, not only their Dacs or amps but the brand in total?
Is it a better company than Audio-GD, does it uses good components in their line up?
How do you rate the company?

Veri

Master Contributor
Is it a better company than Audio-GD, does it uses good components in their line up?
How do you rate the company?
-It is for sure better than audio-gd, Denafrips might not make cheap products but at least they have integrity: they don't make crap.
-My only concern is, Ares II is a very good DAC: I have my doubts the higher Venus/Terminator etc are worth it at all. Ares is already expensive...

Snafu

I don't know about agd, but i bought Denafrips Hestia preamp and it's top notch as is their customer service. All my questions were answered quickly and shipping to EU took less than week (i think, it was quick anyway). I got mine from Vinshineaudio, ask Alvin, he will take care of your needs.
Hestia is insanely good for the price and my needs and it's pretty cool to use too.

How i rate them ? *****/5
https://www.vinshineaudio.com/

Top Bottom