• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
The people attracted to the r-2r thing are looking for a different experience than the traditional Sigma Delta dac. Their not really concerned with testing specs, they feel that the ladder technology brings a more analog listening experience to the table. Nothing deeper then that!

I think everybody in here have been aware of that all along. But the keyword is 'feel'. Personally I'd just like to know whether people actually hear a difference in R2R DACs, or whether it's simply something they would like to believe. And if there was a difference to be heard (which I doubt), I'd like to know exactly what is heard, and how to replicate it in a simpler and more efficient way. That's the science part of things.

I love measurements, but ultimately it comes down to me thinking something sounds good. That’s all that matters.

Absolutely. But it doesn't really coincide with the huge price tags we see on some gear. If sound signature was actually the driving force behind the industry, then all gear would be cheap and priced roughly the same. There would be no need for anything other than simple and cheap engineering aimed at coloring the sound.

The only (technical) justification for a massive price tag, is if something difficult has been achieved. And if that thing is not complete inaudibly of anything but the intended signal, then what is it? It's not difficult to design a piece of gear that sounds different.

KxDx

Ha! I also had a 851A, almost 10 years ago now probably, that one day caught fire. Suddenly there was just a sharp noise from the speakers and crackling coming from the amp. When I stood up to take a look, there were sparks and black smoke coming from inside it. Scared the shit out of me. Thankfully the speakers were okay and I got a new 851A on warranty, but I was never comfortable with it again so I sold it shortly after.
Damn, I've heard of "getting burned" by a bad purchase but you took it to another level! :oops:

th0m

Damn, I've heard of "getting burned" by a bad purchase but you took it to another level! :oops:
You can imagine the panic before I managed to get under my desk, locate the power strip and yank the cord out.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I'd just like to know whether people actually hear a difference in R2R DACs, or whether it's simply something they would like to believe.

It's probably not a spoiler but it's something obvious once a sighted (DBT is even better) volume matched quick A/B comparison is performed: there's absolutely no sonic difference between a competent $9 Apple Lightning headphone adapter and my Schiit Bifrost 2 R2R DAC volume matched and sighted through my Saga preamp. So why did I buy the Bifrost 2 if there's no sonic benefit at all? It's all about esoteric way of reproducing digital music as well as a status symbol of having a Schiit Multibit DAC here in my country. Don't really know where that distortion = colored sound signature came from where I absolutely hear no distortion from both DACs during my quick volume matched A/B session

3J3A3683.png

The Beave

I think everybody in here have been aware of that all along. But the keyword is 'feel'. Personally I'd just like to know whether people actually hear a difference in R2R DACs, or whether it's simply something they would like to believe. And if there was a difference to be heard (which I doubt), I'd like to know exactly what is heard, and how to replicate it in a simpler and more efficient way. That's the science part of things.

Absolutely. But it doesn't really coincide with the huge price tags we see on some gear. If sound signature was actually the driving force behind the industry, then all gear would be cheap and priced roughly the same. There would be no need for anything other than simple and cheap engineering aimed at coloring the sound.

The only (technical) justification for a massive price tag, is if something difficult has been achieved. And if that thing is not complete inaudibly of anything but the intended signal, then what is it? It's not difficult to design a piece of gear that sounds different.

Excellent post!
Let’s take your questions in order;
I think Feel is the right word hear, because it taps right into the emotion of listening to music. When it’s good I get into it feeling wise.
But, and here is to your second question about hearing a difference, when I a/b’d the Denafrips dac with the ESS 9018, under Norma listening conditions in my living room, I could not tell them apart to ANY SIGNIFICANT SCIENTIFIC CERTAINCY.
It’s as simple as that, they both sounded very good, but there was nothing that stood out from either one that would distinguish one from the other.

When I first got the Denafrips as I was breaking it in, I DID think I heard things in the soundstage of songs that I’ve never heard before. Feelings again probably, but later on, when I did do the comparison with the Audiolab, and didn’t really hear any difference, I had to chalk it down to the human factor. But in the end I flipped the Denafrips not because it’s a bad dac, it’s not, but it didn’t elevate the fidelity over the 9018, pure and simple.

Point three, specifically pertaining to the Denafrips line of dac’s.
You are right in your thinking, but here on audio science it’s a different vibe then say at the Steve Hoffman site, which I’m also an active member of. Totally different.
In the way that here, the community is focused, indeed on scientific info on this gear, and measurements are first and foremost to that, I get it now and my apologies for going out of the bounds so to speak interjecting emotional opinions in some of my posts. That’s what I do at the Hoffman site, so I’ll try and learn quicker the culture here.

Now the Denafrip, as a company has hit upon a segment of the audio community that is enthusiastic about r-2r ladder dac’s. Until 2 months ago I had no idea that this was even a “thing”.
They don’t have the same goal as this site is focused on. Their thing is to sell gear to a specific segment of the market and do it with the best gear they can come up with, their not concerned about a debate of whether or not ladder dac’s sound better than Sigma Delta dac’s.
They’ve dedicated themselves to this as a business and their doing a great job at it!
The Ares 2, which is their cheapest model, and the one I bought, is an OPPO like piece of gear in construction. Top tier all the way and very much in its price range. And it makes total BUSINESS sense to offer more models costing more and more, like the Terminator.
But it’s marketing genius what their doing! Coming up with a $4000.00 ladder dac that people are comparing to dac’s over $10000.00, and offering ladder “convers” to stick it in the face of their friends who indeed have that $10,000.00 dac.
And the hobby goes on. But this is what makes it fun for me, always learning and trying things out, because when I stop doing that.........it means death, and I’m not ready for that.

And for the member who sent me a bit of a snarky personal message asking me how high my hearing can go to, at the age of 61, I can still hear to around 10, maybe 11khz. Next time you want to make fun of, or challenge me in an un friendly way, have some balls and do it on the forum, don’t hide behind a personal message. Doing that just means your an arrogant BULLY.
And I will have none of that anymore.

Beave

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
In the way that here, the community is focused, indeed on scientific info on this gear, and measurements are first and foremost to that, I get it now and my apologies for going out of the bounds so to speak interjecting emotional opinions in some of my posts. That’s what I do at the Hoffman site, so I’ll try and learn quicker the culture here.

Don't worry about it (if you ask me). Measurements are just practical tools, and emotions are absolutely welcome, as long as they are not used as substitutes for fact. The foundation of this place is mostly good old healthy scepticism. If you have an extraordinary claim, you need to back it up with solid repeatable scientific evidence, and that's about it.

their not concerned about a debate of whether or not ladder dac’s sound better than Sigma Delta dac’s.

Don't know Denafrips very well, but all other R2R proprietors I've seen seem to claim that a discrete R2R ladder is somehow more "pure" than a chip based DAC and that they reproduce the original waveform in an audibly more correct fashion. It's highly likely complete BS (like your own listening test also seem to indicate), but if Denafrips openly acknowledge that and simply do R2R as a fun engineering exercises, then I have no problem respecting that.

Last edited:

The Beave

Don't worry about it (if you ask me). Measurements are just practical tools, and emotions are absolutely welcome, as long as they are not used as substitutes for fact. The foundation of this place is mostly good old healthy scepticism. If you have an extraordinary claim, you need to back it up with solid repeatable scientific evidence, and that's about it.

Don't know Denafrips very well, but all other R2R proprietors I've seen seem to claim that a discrete R2R ladder is somehow more "pure" than a chip based DAC and that they reproduce the original waveform in an audibly more correct fashion. It's highly likely complete BS (like your own listening test also seem to indicate), but if Denafrips openly acknowledge that and simply do R2R as a fun engineering exercises, then I have no problem respecting that.

Yeah their capitalizing on that aspect of it, but their a business to sell gear and it seems to be working out for them. Hell, I bought one! Lol!
I believe from the research I did when I bought the Ares 2 that the theory is that the ladder dac’s resolve all 16 bits discreetly while th e Sigma Delta dac’s just resolve 5 or 6 bits and the rest of the wave form is a synthesized thing and not a real representation of the analog wave. And indeed, I found that to be true. So, on the surface of it it looks bad for SD dac’s, that they seem to throw away 10 bits of signal, but that’s where I’m not a scientist nor a mathematician, so I defer back to my ears, and in that I didn’t really hear any significant difference between the two when level matched and using the exact same cd playing through the two different dac’s.

Beave

tw99

Yeah their capitalizing on that aspect of it, but their a business to sell gear and it seems to be working out for them. Hell, I bought one! Lol!
I believe from the research I did when I bought the Ares 2 that the theory is that the ladder dac’s resolve all 16 bits discreetly while th e Sigma Delta dac’s just resolve 5 or 6 bits and the rest of the wave form is a synthesized thing and not a real representation of the analog wave. And indeed, I found that to be true. So, on the surface of it it looks bad for SD dac’s, that they seem to throw away 10 bits of signal, but that’s where I’m not a scientist nor a mathematician, so I defer back to my ears, and in that I didn’t really hear any significant difference between the two when level matched and using the exact same cd playing through the two different dac’s.

Beave

I suggest you do more "research" in the library section of this site, which will teach you why the "explanation" you posted there to justify ladder DACs is utter nonsense!

The Beave

I suggest you do more "research" in the library section of this site, which will teach you why the "explanation" you posted there to justify ladder DACs is utter nonsense!
I will, but then your saying that all the other papers I read on the net are all bogus? Including white sheets on the dac’s themselves? From the manufacturers themselves?
So we’re back to “their wrong and we’re right” crap.
Wonderful........
Beave

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Including white sheets on the dac’s themselves? From the manufacturers themselves?
HA! Manufacturer's "white papers"? Now that's a good laugh.

Here are two "white papers" from what is probably the biggest "audiophile" snake oil peddler out there:
http://machinadynamica.com/machina17.htm
http://machinadynamica.com/machina64.htm

Knock yourself out. I could also type up a completely fantastical "white paper" about an imaginary product which promises to offer whatever "improvements" you wish for.

Then again, as fellow members have said it before, gotta bring home the bacon somehow...

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe from the research I did when I bought the Ares 2 that the theory is that the ladder dac’s resolve all 16 bits discreetly while th e Sigma Delta dac’s just resolve 5 or 6 bits and the rest of the wave form is a synthesized thing and not a real representation of the analog wave.

Measurements beyond audibility show that the mathematics/reconstruction/noise shaping or whatever they call it now is far more accurate than the resistor matching done on ladder DACs. Just look at the measurements here. Then again, looks like Holo Audio May DAC finally reached the level of accuracy that the well designed DS DACs can provide using precision ladder resistors which is right at time of writing hard to achieve.

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
Holo Audio May
That thing is quite an accomplishment, I'll give them that.

Still, sure is a lot of effort to match the performance of the best chip-based DACs, say a Topping D90, which cost USD $700 vs. the $4000 for the May. For all that money you're only getting a few more decibels of DR...

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor

Beave

Gentleman, please. It's difficult to explain things in a scientific way if you refuse the basis. In term of pleasure or listening experience, no problem, you are free to find your pleasure where you want. But your recent posts... They are surprising at least.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That thing is quite an accomplishment, I'll give them that.

Still, sure is a lot of effort to match the performance of the best chip-based DACs, say a Topping D90, which cost USD $700 vs. the $4000 for the May. For all that money you're only getting a few more decibels of DR...

Unfortunately, that's the current R2R technology that manufacturers can pull off right now. The thing is that when there's a market for R2R, there's always going to be competition to increase price/performance ratio on that tech. Then again, R2R is only for the audiophile bling and manufactures will capitalize on the "esotericness" of it (I admit I'm a sucker for that too as part of the hobby). I do hope other R2R manufacturers follow Holo's suit too but I don't see that coming for next generations or so since there's always that "R2R elitism who don't give a crap about measurements" involved in this hobby unfortunately

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
R2R is only for the audiophile bling
Nailed it.

Alas there will always be folks who believe that compared to chip-based DACs, R-2R sounds "better" or "different". Such as some people in this here thread...

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I believe from the research I did when I bought the Ares 2 that the theory is that the ladder dac’s resolve all 16 bits discreetly while th e Sigma Delta dac’s just resolve 5 or 6 bits and the rest of the wave form is a synthesized thing and not a real representation of the analog wave. And indeed, I found that to be true.

The problem here being that 'resolve' is a buzzword designed to pray on the angst of audiophiles. In reality there's no bits gone missing.

It's a bit like people who think synthesized ascorbic acid is poisonous. It's not. It's chemically identical to the stuff found in nature.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Nailed it.

Alas there will always be folks who believe that compared to chip-based DACs, R-2R sounds "better" or "different". Such as some people in this here thread...

That's not a problem for me if this is their pleasure. But these guys could not come in the science domain. It's like to consider the earth is flat and try to prove it to me.. At the moment, there is no more possible debate because the basis are gone.

The Beave

HA! Manufacturer's "white papers"? Now that's a good laugh.

Here are two "white papers" from what is probably the biggest "audiophile" snake oil peddler out there:
http://machinadynamica.com/machina17.htm
http://machinadynamica.com/machina64.htm

Knock yourself out. I could also type up a completely fantastical "white paper" about an imaginary product which promises to offer whatever "improvements" you wish for.

Then again, as fellow members have said it before, gotta bring home the bacon somehow...

Good points, and remember I say this with tongue slightly in cheek! And it’s fun to see the passion on both sides of the issue. But please remember I’m getting the Soncoz and the LKS DACS so I’m not being militant on either side.
And I love your passion!
I actually remember this kind of controversy going on when DVD’s were invented. The Laserdisc crowd crucified the lossey tech of the dvd medium, and then the Laserdisc DIED!, LOL!
It is funny to see the ladder thing gain popularity though.
Beave

Top Bottom