• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

giordy

And?
Because someone on the Italian internet is Referring to this made up 1/10 rule oft thumb it makes it more true?

absolutely not ....
I always knew that the ratio of 1-10 was reliable, I am not a technician but if I have posted something incorrect I apologize

Lambda

Major Contributor

@giordy

It has a core truth to it being "most" amplifier work better if they are loaded less.
This alone is a very generalizing statement but saying 1/10 is the ideal is an over generalization.

It may be true that some signal is Attenuated coming in the Preamp if it has less input impedance.
But you know what is also Attenuated. Noise.
The Signal can easily be amplified in the source by the designer/manufacturer this resulting in better signal to noise.

The Lower the Input (and output) resistance the lower the noise can be and the better the signal to noise can be (for a given signal level)

Manufactures are already hitting practical and almost physical limits of achievable better SNR with "normal" Hifi impedance and voltage Levels.

A ways around this limits:
Extreme cooling ( i'm waiting for preamps with integrated refrigerator)
Lower Impedance (input as well as output).
higher voltages.

It is no accident some high end preamps have lower then usual input impedance.

So is low input impedance. overloading the output opamp of the DAC?
Since there is no output opamp in this DAC i don't thinks so.

Could be its output performance decreases with lower impedance load...
But at least provide a hypothesis why.

Last edited:

MBL'er

It has a core truth to it being "most" amplifier work better if they are loaded less.
This alone is a very generalizing statement but saying 1/10 is the ideal is an over generalization.
Actually I wrote "at least" 1/10.

As I said, I am no technician, I just listen to music through hi fi gear.

If you would like to get more into that, please pm me your email address and I will put you in contact with a tube amp designer I sometimes co-operate with - NY born so you will not have any further geographic excuses - who will be able to answer all your questions.

He is a nice guy, will not jump at your throat in old-styled forum-fashion.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Actually I wrote "at least" 1/10.

As I said, I am no technician, I just listen to music through hi fi gear.

If you would like to get more into that, please pm me your email address and I will put you in contact with a tube amp designer I sometimes co-operate with - NY born so you will not have any further geographic excuses - who will be able to answer all your questions.

He is a nice guy, will not jump at your throat in old-styled forum-fashion.

The "1/10" or even "1/8" rule of thumb is simply to hold losses to approx. 1dB or less.

ohnonate

I have to ask... if one was to pair the Ares II up with the Schiit Freya +...using XLRs...in tube gain..
Would that be a bad move? Freya +...I think has a input impedance of 10k. Ares II, as stated above is 2.4k. I have both coming this week...didn't really to think to check the Freyas input impedance. Wondering what I can expect.
Did you end up using the Freya plus with the Aeres 2 ? Very curious how it went

chaturanga

I was considering this DAC and I found myself here. I am seeing a lot of argument here. So most of you think it's not a special device and it doesn't sound better than a 9 USD dongle or 100 USD entry level DAC? Can owners answer please if there is a better balanced option below it's price that will be good for me.

Veri

Master Contributor
I was considering this DAC and I found myself here. I am seeing a lot of argument here. So most of you think it's not a special device and it doesn't sound better than a 9 USD dongle or 100 USD entry level DAC? Can owners answer please if there is a better balanced option below it's price that will be good for me.
Erm. Countless options, no? Consider Schiit Modius or Topping E50 for top quality DACs at a still sane price. If you need more outputs or features you can get an extremely capable RME ADI-2 for not that much more than Ares II asking price... :)

tw99

An owner is only likely to tell you that it's great.... even if they don't think so, to maintain the resale value :)

The gist of the review is that there's not much wrong with it. However you can get DACs with better technical performance for less money. Only you can decide whether the additional cost for "the magic of R2R" is worth it to you. The existence or not of the "magic" part is generally what is disputed, and you just have to make your mind up whether you believe the measurements or what someone claims they hear.

chaturanga

Erm. Countless options, no? Consider Schiit Modius or Topping E50 for top quality DACs at a still sane price. If you need more outputs or features you can get an extremely capable RME ADI-2 for not that much more than Ares II asking price... :)

Thank you for your answer, I think for now Gustard x16 will be a better and less risky option to try. May be later I can update to a better one..

chaturanga

An owner is only likely to tell you that it's great.... even if they don't think so, to maintain the resale value :)

The gist of the review is that there's not much wrong with it. However you can get DACs with better technical performance for less money. Only you can decide whether the additional cost for "the magic of R2R" is worth it to you. The existence or not of the "magic" part is generally what is disputed, and you just have to make your mind up whether you believe the measurements or what someone claims they hear.

Yes I got it, I don't want to pay extra 400-500 just for that magic :)

lordvader

I have noticed that Ares II do keep their resale value - as there is enough interest in these DACs to maintain a healthy second hand market.
So you can "try one out" without risking financial loss should you change your mind.

chaturanga

I have noticed that Ares II do keep their resale value - as there is enough interest in these DACs to maintain a healthy second hand market.
So you can "try one out" without risking financial loss should you change your mind.

For me the problem is that I am living in Turkey and when I buy a product it's difficult for me to sell it abroad. I can not sell it in Turkey also, audiophile community is very small and don't spend a lot of money for hobby because of the situation of Turkish lira against US Dollar.

ThomasMac

Did you end up using the Freya plus with the Aeres 2 ? Very curious how it went
Sorry for the late reply. Yes... I did. Have had the two running togther for a little time now. Using xlrs. Sounds good to my ears. Combo works very well. :)

Teroz

There are ARES II on the used market, most of them are upgrading to better denafrips cos the ARES II is so good and everyone knows the quality only goes up from there. More you eat more you want.

Danddd

For me the problem is that I am living in Turkey and when I buy a product it's difficult for me to sell it abroad. I can not sell it in Turkey also, audiophile community is very small and don't spend a lot of money for hobby because of the situation of Turkish lira against US Dollar.
I understand your dilemna living in Turkey. I bought the Gustard X16 from Amazon with their customer friendly return policy. I ended up returning it to try th Ares 2. The Ares is a nice step up from the X16. The sonic difference improvement in low end and increased presence is worth the price difference. I'm a more of a buy and hold person. So I am taking the long view.

Veri

Master Contributor
The Ares is a nice step up from the X16. The sonic difference improvement in low end and increased presence is worth the price difference. I'm a more of a buy and hold person. So I am taking the long view.
There is absolutely no reason for any improvement in low end though. How would you explain it? Just because it's an R2R DAC?..

Danddd

There is absolutely no reason for any improvement in low end though. How would you explain it? Just because it's an R2R DAC?..
Just listening. I've had my McCormack DNA 0.5 and VTL 2.5 pre over 20 years, Sonus faber Liutos, four years. I am very familiar with my system. On the X16, I noticed the lack of bass. The detail and soundstage was excellent. Keep in mind I wanted to really like the X16. The Ares has more improvement on the low end and has more presence and involvement. By involvement I mean I noticed an improvement on hearing the musci=icians interplay. For my system the Ares 2 is a very good DAC. By the way, saying absolutely is a ridiculous statement and shows lack of open minededness to others opinions.

Veri

Master Contributor
Just listening. I've had my McCormack DNA 0.5 and VTL 2.5 pre over 20 years, Sonus faber Liutos, four years. I am very familiar with my system. On the X16, I noticed the lack of bass. The detail and soundstage was excellent. Keep in mind I wanted to really like the X16. The Ares has more improvement on the low end and has more presence and involvement.
Well. The Ares 2 has no proper line driver but outputs direct from the ladder with high output impedance. Any half-decent pre should handle that load fine though, but it's not out of the question that it's an impedance (mis)match causing audible changes.
If you like your current set-up that's all that matters of course... but I just feel like there's likely to be an explanation for what you hear is all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom