• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

Maki

The topping D70 and the Gustard X22 are very good measuring DAC's and by your logic should sound the same yet they sound obviously different. The Topping sounds boring in comparison. The Gustard sounds like it's in a much larger room than it is. It sounds like things are way behind the speakers and even beside me sometimes. the topping sounds like it's 2D in comparison.
It sounds different to you, with your ears, and your brain, and your biases. Is the signal coming out actually significantly different? No way to say for sure but probably not.

zepplock

The topping D70 and the Gustard X22 are very good measuring DAC's and by your logic should sound the same yet they sound obviously different. The Topping sounds boring in comparison. The Gustard sounds like it's in a much larger room than it is. It sounds like things are way behind the speakers and even beside me sometimes. the topping sounds like it's 2D in comparison.

I respect your opinion, but as an engineer, I can't take your feelings seriously. Neither of the words you used are measurable and no one else can reproduce your findings. Please provide scientifically proven measurements of your claims. There's no way to chart or measure "boring" and "beside me sometimes". I don't see how your comments help in any way in this conversation.

AllenW

I think I understand how this works. Measurements are all that matters regardless of price or anything else. If a $500 DAC measures as good as a $50,000 DAC they must sound exactly the same. This is starting to sound a forum for people who can't afford hi end audio trying to convince themselves their budget gear is just as good. I get it.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I understand how this works. Measurements are all that matters regardless of price or anything else. If a $500 DAC measures as good as a $50,000 DAC they must sound exactly the same. This is starting to sound a forum for people who can't afford hi end audio trying to convince themselves their budget gear is just as good. I get it.
Since when does price have to do anything with it?

Maki

Well usually the ultra high end boutique stuff also measures like crap too lol

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many of us just don't think competent audio components (aside from transducers) sound different from one another, assuming they operate within the appropriate gain range. You appear to believe otherwise, and that's fine. Just don't expect us to believe your subjective impressions "just because."

AllenW

yeah it's amazing how effective insulting people can be at pissing them off! :)
I'm not loaded myself and only own a Few moderately high end things I'm just not under any delusional that budget gear can compete with hi end stuff. that ludicrous.

AllenW

I guess audio is the only product on earth that price has nothing to do with it. It's all a big scam.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess audio is the only product on earth that price has nothing to do with it.
Not by a long shot..
It's all a big scam.
Of course it it! What on earth would justify a 50.000 USD DAC? Surely not the sum of the components, unless it's made of very precious materials, none of which have anything to do with sound quality. Is it R&D cost? I don’t believe it for a second.. what physical properties make the 50.000 USD DAC better than a cheap well engineered one? If they are not measurable, how did the engineers build the thing? It just doesn’t make sense..

zepplock

I'm not loaded myself and only own a Few moderately high end things I'm just not under any delusional that budget gear can compete with hi end stuff. that ludicrous.

I can see how $150 topping e30 vs $1999 benchmark DAC can be somewhat justified:
- better enclosure: larger, heavier, shinier, better thermals
- more controls on the front
- balanced
- better emore
- better warranty
- better QA
- measures better, but indistinguishable to human ear in both cases
- better customer support (just assuming, never had issues with neither)

still sound the same to my ears.

Now take $50000 dac, can you justify that price increase over $2k benchmark? Most likely no. Unless you say again that benchmark is "boring", lol
Should you buy benchmark? If you can afford it, yes.
Does that mean benchmark is a better dac? Yes
Is benchmark better cause $2000 > $150? No
Is benchmark sounding better cause it's $2000? No.

Edit? Does benchmark sound better than topping? Lol, No.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not by a long shot..

Of course it it! What on earth would justify a 50.000 USD DAC? Surely not the sum of the components, unless it's made of very precious materials, none of which have anything to do with sound quality. Is it R&D cost? I don’t believe it for a second.. what physical properties make the 50.000 USD DAC better than a cheap well engineered one? If they are not measurable, how did the engineers build the thing? It just doesn’t make sense..
Voodoo

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am afraid you have fallen for marketing puff, in terms of dacs at least a fine measuring dac is as good as it gets, price is of no consequence only measurements.
Keith

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Go on then. In what ways doesnt it compete?

Top Bottom