• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

dc655321

Major Contributor
No, the multitone test is not sufficient.

It is.

I don't have the means to do this but what I'd like to see is two DACs tested with say an actual audio recording, and then measuring the output/response and comparing them to each other. To my knowledge this has not been done on ASR.

You may wish to search this forum for posts on @pkane's DeltaWave software - it does the type of comparison you mention.
Or don't look... you do you... :rolleyes:

decoRyder

This used to be a site that was open to a free exchange of ideas. Today, some people on this forum seem to associate a sense of community with the necessity to belittle and demean other forum members' opinions or character.

decoRyder

It is.
You may wish to search this forum for posts on @pkane's DeltaWave software - it does the type of comparison you mention.
Or don't look... you do you... :rolleyes:

Very helpful, thanks.

decoRyder

Well, sure. But those ideas can always be challenged, especially in the thread/topic of a pricy ladder multibit DAC. Not very surprising is it.

No problem with being challenged on the issue.

Maki

I bought the Ares II before looking at the output impedance - the volume is significantly reduced into the Topping A90 with its 2K input impedance. Surprisingly, this was a good thing in my case because it allows for finer volume control with sensitive headphones and I don't think the Ares is clipping from current limits though distortion is probably going up (not that I care - the D90 is already audibly perfect WRT distortion and BAs have relatively enormous 3H distortion anyways). I can also just use the built in volume control of the D90 for sensitive stuff but that feels heretical. It stacks nicely with the D90/A90, surface temperature is 13C above ambient which I'm not too worried about since I have amps that sit 25C above ambient. I don't hear any sibilance issues - if anything it may be a bit softer than the D90 but I have not done any blind testing which would be slightly harder than usual, due to the high output impedance and low input impedance of the DAC and amp respectively.

bigstack.jpg

decoRyder

Daily Driver in my HomeOffice:)

stack.jpeg

KTN46

This used to be a site that was open to a free exchange of ideas. Today, some people on this forum seem to associate a sense of community with the necessity to belittle and demean other forum members' opinions or character.

I don't believe you've been belittled or demeaned here. It's only been suggested that you are making a baseless claim and haven't done enough research to provide evidence. It's okay to say "I don't know much about this" or "In my experience", but the frustration stemmed from you linking your subjective experience to objective reality without any evidence.

KillerQ

Have you ever used the RME ADI-2 DAC fs, by chance, I’m looking to my RME for the Ares II as I’m hoping it’s less clinical and sterile sounding. I want some coloration.

I bought the Ares II before looking at the output impedance - the volume is significantly reduced into the Topping A90 with its 2K input impedance. Surprisingly, this was a good thing in my case because it allows for finer volume control with sensitive headphones and I don't think the Ares is clipping from current limits though distortion is probably going up (not that I care - the D90 is already audibly perfect WRT distortion and BAs have relatively enormous 3H distortion anyways). I can also just use the built in volume control of the D90 for sensitive stuff but that feels heretical. It stacks nicely with the D90/A90, surface temperature is 13C above ambient which I'm not too worried about since I have amps that sit 25C above ambient. I don't hear any sibilance issues - if anything it may be a bit softer than the D90 but I have not done any blind testing which would be slightly harder than usual, due to the high output impedance and low input impedance of the DAC and amp respectively.

View attachment 113603

Maki

Have you ever used the RME ADI-2 DAC fs, by chance, I’m looking to my RME for the Ares II as I’m hoping it’s less clinical and sterile sounding. I want some coloration.
I haven't. If you truly want coloration, you'd be better off with an OTL tube amp of some sort. Amplifier output impedance is sure to make the right headphones "warmer" and the high 2nd harmonic may be audible. I'd be hard pressed to identify the Ares over the D90 in a proper level matched blind test. My setup is capable of rapid A/B switching (roughly 0.1-0.2 seconds) so I can at least verify that they sound very similar that way. Now, I have no idea what your personal biases are so your experience may be wildly different. Maybe in slow sighted listening tests you'll hear the Ares as more "organic" and "natural". My first impressions of the DAC was that it was warmer, smoother than the D90. After rapid switching, I realized the difference was small - if it exists at all. So I guess the point of that is DON'T conduct rapid switching if you're after a more pleasurable experience - you want your brain to fool you as much as possible, though I guess maybe I ruined it by saying all of this.

KillerQ

I haven't. If you truly want coloration, you'd be better off with an OTL tube amp of some sort. Amplifier output impedance is sure to make the right headphones "warmer" and the high 2nd harmonic may be audible. I'd be hard pressed to identify the Ares over the D90 in a proper level matched blind test. My setup is capable of rapid A/B switching (roughly 0.1-0.2 seconds) so I can at least verify that they sound very similar that way. Now, I have no idea what your personal biases are so your experience may be wildly different. Maybe in slow sighted listening tests you'll hear the Ares as more "organic" and "natural". My first impressions of the DAC was that it was warmer, smoother than the D90. After rapid switching, I realized the difference was small - if it exists at all. So I guess the point of that is DON'T conduct rapid switching if you're after a more pleasurable experience - you want your brain to fool you as much as possible, though I guess maybe I ruined it by saying all of this.

this is my current setup. I already have tubes, but they’re hybrid since I only use Planars.

Maki

this is my current setup. I already have tubes, but they’re hybrid since I only use Planars.
If you don't mind the cost, you could get/build an output transformer coupled pure tube amp. Those will add more coloration than a DAC or hybrid most of the time. Maybe the bottlehead s.e.x.? The crack was pretty fun to build. Or lurk around diyaudio forums, I'm sure they have something nice you can build.

KTN46

Why not just use a parametric EQ or a VST, or change your headphones so that they suit your taste better? "Clinical" and "sterile sounding" are audiophile buzzwords with no inherent meaning. You're chasing a placebo affect more than anything else.

decoRyder

What's the tube amp on top? Is it a DIY?
Yep, DYI - it's nothing special, those Kits can be had on amazon or Ebay for maybe 120 bucks. I built/bought this one maybe 10 years ago, and it's one of the very few pieces I still use on a daily basis.

decoRyder

I don't believe you've been belittled or demeaned here. It's only been suggested that you are making a baseless claim and haven't done enough research to provide evidence. It's okay to say "I don't know much about this" or "In my experience", but the frustration stemmed from you linking your subjective experience to objective reality without any evidence.

Baseless? I think it clearly stated my claim earlier, and as such I've not seen it proven, or disproven. If anything the measurements I've seen in the deltawave thread seem to substantiate what I'm claiming.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Look for the Distort software from @pkane . Add whatever you like into your feed to the DAC. Keep the RME and experiment with the seasoning before it. Dont get rid of one of the most versatile devices out there on a whim. Would be my advice

Top Bottom