• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

Rotel

This is a better sounding DAC for most testers than the Topping D90 and SMSL M400. I haven't heard any of them, I'm currently using a Topping D50.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Woah, this has a big donut transformer, a dazzling array of capacitators [sic], beefy RCA jacks, and a thick front panel. I'd buy one just on looks.

Last edited:

Rotel

As it stands, I use the Ares II in my main system, and the SMSL M400 in my nearfield/desktop system.

Hi,
I use a Topping D50 with linear adapter. The sound of D50 is more opened and cleaner with linear adapter but less bass.
Can you write me what is the differences (sound) between D50 and SMSL M400?
I bought Electra 1038BE loudspeakers and I think they deserve better quality DAC.

Thanks.

linger63

What was the problem with Ares II? What speakers and amplifier did you use?
Active ATC floorstanders
In my system and with my ears and tastes I found the SQ to lack detail in either OS mode regardless of filter settings.
More importantly WRT the mantra here............it also doesn't measure that well.

If you are are a fan of affordable R2R DACS though then check it out by all means.

Last edited:

KTN46

Hi, I use a Topping D50 with linear adapter. The sound of D50 is more opened and cleaner with linear adapter but less bass.
...unless your mains wiring/wall wart is absolutely scuffed, the linear adapter does nothing.

Can you write me what is the differences (sound) between D50 and SMSL M400? I bought Electra 1038BE loudspeakers and I think they deserve better quality DAC.

Differences so audibly minute that you'd be better off pocketing the cash.

linger63

Going to A/B them properly with some friends soon.
The X16 has a couple of handy features over the D90 that suit me better (and is cheaper too!!!)
First impressions were that the X16 was even more detailed in the top end although they both measure extremely well.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Going to A/B them properly with some friends soon.
The X16 has a couple of handy features over the D90 that suit me better (and is cheaper too!!!)
First impressions were that the X16 was even more detailed in the top end although they both measure extremely well.

I also noted some important differences.
Both D90 and X16 appear to use PCB-mounted RCA jacks = low end. The Denafrips appears to use panel-mount RCA's = high end.
The front plate of the Denafraps is a nice thick slab of metal. Not sure what's going on with the front plate of the D90 and X16.
The X16 has a nice blue plastic enclosed transformer = high end. The X16 and Denafrips are using donut transformers, and I can't tell which one is bigger.

So hard to choose.

Rotel

...unless your mains wiring/wall wart is absolutely scuffed, the linear adapter does nothing.

Differences so audibly minute that you'd be better off pocketing the cash.

The facts:
Topping D50 - Rotel RA-985BX - Focal Chorus 716S system:
I can listen to this system for hours. My ears don't get tired.

Topping D50+Linear adapter - Rotel RA-985BX - Focal Chorus 716S system:
Sharper high tones are less deep. The sound becomes harsh, my ears get tired after 50-60 minutes.
(I didn't even use the linear adapter with this system because of this.)

I bought the Chorus in 2005 and the Rotel in 2006. I’ve been listening to this system for 15 years, noticing when something changes. The adapter has made a huge difference (in the negative direction).

I bought the Electra 1038BEs (it's a miracle I'll never sell them) and now I prefer Topping D50 with linear adapter. The difference is clearly audible with this speaker as well.

JohnM-73

Both D90 and X16 appear to use PCB-mounted RCA jacks = low end. The Denafrips appears to use panel-mount RCA's = high end.

This is typical audiophile nonsense. Think about it, do those electrons know the difference?! And then there's the fact the PCB mounted "low end" jacks have a much shorter signal path, so one could argue they're actually better. Those "high end" jacks might look nice (to some who look at such things) but there's actually more in the way of the signal, again if you're buying into the audiophile mindset/paranoia.
In short, there's NOTHING wring with those PCB mounted RCA sockets at all.

KTN46

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
The facts:
Topping D50 - Rotel RA-985BX - Focal Chorus 716S system:
I can listen to this system for hours. My ears don't get tired.

Topping D50+Linear adapter - Rotel RA-985BX - Focal Chorus 716S system:
Sharper high tones are less deep. The sound becomes harsh, my ears get tired after 50-60 minutes.
(I didn't even use the linear adapter with this system because of this.)
My ears get fatigued quickly some days and never other days. Same system. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Thinking your simple experience can be called "fact" is just silly. This is audio science review.

mansr

Major Contributor
This is typical audiophile nonsense. Think about it, do those electrons know the difference?! And then there's the fact the PCB mounted "low end" jacks have a much shorter signal path, so one could argue they're actually better. Those "high end" jacks might look nice (to some who look at such things) but there's actually more in the way of the signal, again if you're buying into the audiophile mindset/paranoia.
In short, there's NOTHING wring with those PCB mounted RCA sockets at all.
Panel mounted jacks are better since they offer one more opportunity to insert fancy silver wires with snakeskin insulation. Can't do that on a PCB.

Rotel

My ears get fatigued quickly some days and never other days. Same system. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Thinking your simple experience can be called "fact" is just silly. This is audio science review.

I know the phenomenon, but that's not what it's about. I gave this adapter a chance several times, but the end result was the same for my Chorus speaker.

I have a multimeter (V, A, Ohm). I will not measure with that. :)

Veri

Master Contributor
I know the phenomenon, but that's not what it's about.
I understand your experience, heck I even understand the reasoning to prefer one DAC and say you don't like the other one, I'm not sure it's valid but I understand. I just wouldn't ever state experiences as a fact. We are all whimsical creatures. It's hard to perform proper trials that can be repeated with the same results. That's the science part.

decoRyder

Hi,
I use a Topping D50 with linear adapter. The sound of D50 is more opened and cleaner with linear adapter but less bass.
Can you write me what is the differences (sound) between D50 and SMSL M400?
I bought Electra 1038BE loudspeakers and I think they deserve better quality DAC.

Thanks.
I never liked the way the Topping D50 sounds; it has great dynamics but sounds 'shrill' and 'thin' to my ears. The SMSL M400 is a much better DAC, and compared to the Topping sounds more relaxed and balanced across all frequency ranges. I can listen to the SMSL M400 all day long and enjoy it, which is something I can not do with the Topping.

Rotel

I never liked the way the Topping D50 sounds; it has great dynamics but sounds 'shrill' and 'thin' to my ears. The SMSL M400 is a much better DAC, and compared to the Topping sounds more relaxed and balanced across all frequency ranges. I can listen to the SMSL M400 all day long and enjoy it, which is something I can not do with the Topping.

Thanks the answer. The SMSL M400 has been my favorite for a while, probably sound of M400 is fits my system best. The D90 was the first for a long time but the most testers said bigger soundstage and softer high-pitched voice compared to the D90.

Top Bottom