• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

JohnYang1997

Major Contributor
I don't like it, even though those caps are 105°C rated LX Nippon-Chemicon caps, they are so cramped inside without any airflow that I worry about the longevity of those.
The operating temperature will be more like 35c or lower. Giving that -10c = twice longevity, I don't see that to be the issue.
However there can be an issue where the fail rate can go way higher than just 2 big caps and it's a pain in the ass to troubleshoot which cap fails. The chance is still low enough to be an product tho.

Dogen

Forum Donor
Hats off to Denafrips for delivering a well performing product! They saw a market opportunity, questionable as the technology may be, and implemented it well. They’ve distinguished themselves in a crowded market without trading off performance, which is what every DAC manufacturer should aspire to.

pkane

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 48063
looks interesting, I know DS dacs usually perform well in this regard, but can anyone with a holo audio or this denafrips ares II in NOS mode can shine some light onto how it performs in NOS?
Here's Holo Spring DAC 12kHz -9dBFS in NOS mode, 48kHz:
48k-12khz-NOS.PNG

Turning on OS mode produces this:

48k-12khz-OS.PNG

Resampling the same signal to 96kHz and dithering produces this in NOS mode:
48k-12khz-Upsample96-NOS.PNG

pkane

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now shift the phase half a sample interval.
Here you go:

48k-12khz-NOS-halfsample.PNG

Adding spectrum of the NOS mode 12kHz/48k sampled sine:
48k-12khz-NOS-FR.PNG

And spectrum of the same signal but using OS mode:

48k-12khz-OS-FR.PNG

In case anyone wants to know... Same signal upsampled to DSD256 using HQPlayer, Holo Spring still in NOS mode:
48k-12khz-NOS-FR-DSD256.PNG

Last edited:

solderdude

Major Contributor
That will look a bit like the red trace I drew in (assuming filterless signed magnitude R2R or filterless DS)
20kHz -60dB filterless NOS 44-1kHz.png

The 20kHz will be beating with the 44.1khz sample freq. (-80 will look similar) not dithered 16 bit file but will look the same with 24 bit.
Effectively you (a 10 year old) will be perceiving a lower amplitude than when it was reproduced by a filtered DAC.

In fact comparison of shapes of differentwaveforms on different frequencies and levels is all that you need to know about dac measurements in 2020.
Even onboard realtek have impressive parameters but... disgusting sound.
Simillar thing with headphones and speakers - squarewave rendering is one of the most important parameters.
Just for example 2 headphones on same stand with squarewave at 300 hz.

image_2020_01_31T22_46_03_016Z.png
image_2020_01_31T22_46_19_689Z.png

If i'll take some Beats in comparison you'll never know it was a square wave ;)

What in fact we want from dac\speaker\amp\headphone? Correct rendering of input signal, agree? And those 0,00001% THD measurements doesn't answer this question at all.

BDWoody

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In fact comparison of shapes of differentwaveforms on different frequencies and levels is all that you need to know about dac measurements in 2020.
Simillar thing with headphones and speakers - squarewave rendering is one of the most important parameters.

View attachment 48201 View attachment 48202

What in fact we want from dac\speaker\amp\headphone? Correct rendering of input signal, agree? And those 0,00001% THD measurements doesn't answer this question at all.
Do you listen to square waves?

YSC

That will look a bit like the red trace I drew in (assuming filterless signed magnitude R2R or filterless DS)
View attachment 48195

The 20kHz will be beating with the 44.1khz sample freq. (-80 will look similar) not dithered 16 bit file but will look the same with 24 bit.
Effectively you (a 10 year old) will be perceiving a lower amplitude than when it was reproduced by a filtered DAC.
So I expect that’s the reason we hear a rolled off treble and music usually sounds softer

Frank Dernie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 48201 View attachment 48202

40 odd years ago when I was working in the business (record players) I did some experiments altering the phase of square waves to see how sensitive I was to it. I didn't alter the amplitude of the harmonics, just the phase.
On the 'scope the waveforms varied unrecognisably but I could not hear even a tiny difference in sound.
It was a big surprise and I haven't "listened" to a 'scope since - the shape of the wave means nothing whatsoever IME/IMO.

Frank Dernie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I should explain my reasoning in doing the experiment.
With the exception, back then, of the Quad electrostatic speaker the phase response of all multi way speakers with a flat baffle and passive crossover the phase shift was huge, and the output of a square wave looked absolutely nothing like a square wave at all. I was checking how much of a loss this was, people were starting to make complex cabinets to reduce it, I am no longer too concerned about it.
DSP can easily fix it and whilst one DSP speaker prototype sounded great to me whether it was the phase accuracy that impressed I don't know but I doubt.

YSC

40 odd years ago when I was working in the business (record players) I did some experiments altering the phase of square waves to see how sensitive I was to it. I didn't alter the amplitude of the harmonics, just the phase.
On the 'scope the waveforms varied unrecognisably but I could not hear even a tiny difference in sound.
It was a big surprise and I haven't "listened" to a 'scope since - the shape of the wave means nothing whatsoever IME/IMO.
I think that’s exactly why a lot of ppl actually prefer NOS dacs, or those old Philips chips, possibly beside the change in waveform in actual multi tone music, our brain adapt to the missing information better than some oversampling artifices like ringing?

Top Bottom