• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

raif71

Major Contributor
Possibly. But the difference could very well be caused by preconceived notions of the two DACs, or somethings as silly as a lack of accurate volume matching.

Yes, that definitely could happen. But one person's bias doesn't nullify another person's bias. If he takes a blind test and aren't able to hear a difference, then there can be two possible conclusions: "There's a high risk of there being no audible difference, or he was biased towards not hearing a difference". But if you took the same test and also couldn't hear a difference, that only points to one conclusion: "There's a high risk of there being no audible difference". Doesn't matter what bias the naysayers have. The person who claims to have an ability is also the one who carries the burden of proof.

I'm not going to demand any proof though. Anecdotes gonna anecdote.
One thing about anecdotal evidences is that the more anecdotes that come to the same conclusion, the harder it is to simply dismiss them. :)

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing about anecdotal evidences is that the more anecdotes that come to the same conclusion, the harder it is to simply dismiss them. :)
Not really sometimes the opposite, in the history of ufo sightings, the saucer/disc shape had a prominent rise in popularity once it was made popular by media ?

Similar in hifi you can see them as technological folk tales

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You should try some homeopathy then..

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Not necessarily.

If I built a time machine and went back roughly a millennium, and then talked to people in the neighborhood right after a thunder storm, I'd get tons of anecdotal evidence telling me that the god Thor was responsible for the lightning. Lots and lots of people swearing on their mother's life that they saw him in his chariot on the sky. I would have no problem dismissing that. There's plenty of similar phenomena in audiophilia. Either stemming from a web of superstition, or caused by a common flavor of ignorance. When they bear those hallmarks (and they often do), it's perfectly safe to dismiss them, IMO.

raif71

Major Contributor
Not really sometimes the opposite, in the history of ufo sightings, the saucer/disc shape had a prominent rise in popularity once it was made popular by media ?

Similar in hifi you can see them as technological folk tales
Doesn't diminish the fact that it was real to them. I have never seen any UFOs but I can at least empathize with what these people experienced and there are a lot of experiences I might add, yeahhh :)

khark

you sound like another owner of golden ears. can you listen to sweep tone and tell me which frequencies are uneven?

No, you are looking for extension here. If someone complains of a "bass-light" component (DAC or whatever), then there should be an accompanying loss of audibility at the lower end of the spectrum. If you can still hear 20Hz (assuming full-range transducer), then everything is fine. It's a simple test really. :cool:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Doesn't diminish the fact that it was real to them.

Why? If I take a walk in the woods at night and suddenly hear a tree branch creaking loudly in the wind, my brain might interpret that as a predator of some sort that's going to attack me. It will feel very real to me, and if I just run away and don't investigate the cause of the sound, I'll have nothing but anecdotal evidence pointing to me being attacked by some creature.

So again; why should we waste time an energy on things that has a huge risk of being caused by nothing of significance?

MisterDee

... I thought we weren't allowed to like anything on this forum due to it being subjective nonsense?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

It isn't for me. ;)

It does, however, seem to make it easier for the claimants to rely on group-think rather than developing actual evidence.

If my DAC began to quack, I'd return it and demand a refund.

Maybe then it's a DACk?

zepplock

No, you are looking for extension here. If someone complains of a "bass-light" component (DAC or whatever), then there should be an accompanying loss of audibility at the lower end of the spectrum. If you can still hear 20Hz (assuming full-range transducer), then everything is fine. It's a simple test really. :cool:
Are you confused with your own thread of posts? If you can hear 20hz, how do you know if it's 1db lower than the signal? 5db higher? There's no way the human ear can discern these differences. In fact, even 0.5db of loudness is perceived as a "better" sound. So either get a calibrated microphone or stop posting your golden ears anecdotal evidence.

khark

Been there, done that.

Sounds like a DAC :rolleyes:

Veri, you know you weren't made for that Topping life. We have R2R, tubes and Furutech plugs. Sometimes all in the same device! And so much more! Come and join us. Come and join the Dark Side.

Veri

Master Contributor
Veri, you know you weren't made for that Topping life. We have R2R, tubes and Furutech plugs. Sometimes all in the same device! And so much more! Come and join us. Come and join the Dark Side.
Haha :) have had all but the Furutech at some point. Maybe that was the missing link! Darn it!

R2R works fine but I don't see the point. Likewise, tube gear tends to have high noise floor. I abhor noise, so out the door it goes :D

Top Bottom