• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I have the Ares II fed by an RPI4 via USB streaming Tidal from Volumio. After 100 hours at OS-slow, today I decided to flip to NOS. I noticed a subtle difference in the high frequencies, a bit smoother, no hint of any glare on any tracks, where the OS would on rare occasions and on some tracks show a bit of an edge. Again, very subtle and a matter of personal preference. I will leave it set to NOS for a while. Amazing DAC for the money and a perfect match for my pre-amp (Schiit Freya Plus) and my speakers (Magnepan 3.6).

View attachment 78552

I am curious about your speakers, in particular the woofers. It seems to be electrostatic panels + ribbons for mids and highs, but how are the woofers loaded?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Ares II fed by an RPI4 via USB streaming Tidal from Volumio. After 100 hours at OS-slow, today I decided to flip to NOS. I noticed a subtle difference in the high frequencies, a bit smoother, no hint of any glare on any tracks, where the OS would on rare occasions and on some tracks show a bit of an edge. Again, very subtle and a matter of personal preference. I will leave it set to NOS for a while. Amazing DAC for the money and a perfect match for my pre-amp (Schiit Freya Plus) and my speakers (Magnepan 3.6).

View attachment 78552
I'm seeing a Schiit pre amp and love the amps reversed on the stands. :D

Phrangko

I'm wondering the same - is there some euphonic quality to the R2R design, like a tube amp? Hard to imagine any of it being audible, though.
Let us open ourselves to reviews based on what is heard too. Otherwise we volunteer ourselves to eternal trap and miss on the good stuff.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Let us open ourselves to reviews based on what is heard too. Otherwise we volunteer ourselves to eternal trap and miss on the good stuff.

I would love to do that. Only problem is, I have no way of knowing whether the things that are "heard" are actually heard or are just conjured up by the reviewer's imagination. That makes this path to "the good stuff" a complete gamble with a high risk of being deluded in the end. I prefer a more systematic approach.

Phrangko

I would love to do that. Only problem is, I have no way of knowing whether the things that are "heard" are actually heard or are just conjured up by the reviewer's imagination. That makes this path to "the good stuff" a complete gamble with a high risk of being deluded in the end. I prefer a more systematic approach.
Ok judgment problem you have?

shumi

Another great review of the Ares II is out in Stereophile...and another vote for OS-slow.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Preference does not equal accuracy. It's just preference. In the end that's what makes the decisions in life.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Ok judgment problem you have?

No, I just accept the reality of the world I live in. If that makes me look like cold hearted prick, then so be it.

I like to have fun and enjoyment as much as the next person, but I don't want to sacrifice my intellectual integrity in order to have it.

I have no intention of judging anybody, and I do not blame the reviewers for being human. The fact just is, that some practices in life makes it easier to delude yourself than others. In this case the risk is simply way too high for my comfort.

Last edited:

abhijitnath

I am curious about your speakers, in particular the woofers. It seems to be electrostatic panels + ribbons for mids and highs, but how are the woofers loaded?
They're not electrostatic, they're magnetic planar (ie ribbon for tweeter+midrange). The subs are GR Research open baffle subs (loaded in a H frame).

Byron

Goes to show you probably shouldn't depend on measurements alone for making buying decisions, all the time. I heard about this unit by word of mouth from a friend who had one, and so I purchased this DAC about 2 months ago. I have to say that the Denafrips Ares II is by far the best sounding DAC I've ever owned so far. I have the RME ADI-2 FS, Topping DX7s, and Chord MOJO but I find myself only wanting to listen to Ares II every evening. Everyone who has one knows what I mean. I love it and wholeheartedly recommend this unit .

Attachments

• 20200925_192724.jpg
    20200925_192724.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 330
  • 20200925_192700.jpg
    20200925_192700.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 425
  • 20200925_193021.jpg
    20200925_193021.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 393
  • 20200925_193101.jpg
    20200925_193101.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 354

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Goes to show you probably shouldn't depend on measurements alone for making buying decisions, all the time. I heard about this unit by word of mouth from a friend who had one, and so I purchased this DAC about 2 months ago. I have to say that the Denafrips Ares II is by far the best sounding DAC I've ever owned so far. I have the RME ADI-2 FS, Topping DX7s, and Chord MOJO but I find myself only wanting to listen to Ares II every evening. Everyone who has one knows what I mean. I love it and wholeheartedly recommend this unit .

Such a response is not just based on sonic stimuli. Sighted, anecdotal, non-volume matched, non-fast switched comparisons of audio electronics invariably also invoke non-audio stimuli such as aesthetics and backstory. To represent perception tainted and influenced by these factors as purely sonic in nature is disingenuous, incorrect and counter-productive. This much has been established in the scientific literature.

Veri

Master Contributor
Did you try both with and without the doorstop on the RME ADI-2 ?? Can change things a lot!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Goes to show you probably shouldn't depend on measurements alone for making buying decisions

No, your entire post goes to show how vulnerable we are to bias.

ethanhallbeyer

if all properly implemented dacs sound the same, no need to review new ones.. just recommend the cheapest properly implemented dac on the market at the time and call it a day.

exceptions: you’re willing to pay a premium for superior build materials or you are looking for some specific features, then maybe a new review would be worth it. otherwise, what’s the point of reviewing other dacs just to say “this one is implemented correctly and its measurements are so great that it exceeds human ability to hear any improvement from the DAC that we last tested which previously had the best measurements”?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
what’s the point of reviewing other dacs just to say “this one is implemented correctly

To verify that it's implemented correctly. How else would you do this other than by testing them.

Top Bottom