• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips Ares II - is it really worth it?

billyjoebob

You missing the bigger picture , the entire “high end clique” is wrong the “audio world” would probably agree with most of this site .
And I do agree with you there!
My problem is with disregarding everyone that dont fall in line.
If they don't agree, they are a fool.
I can't subscribe to that.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And I do agree with you there!
My problem is with disregarding everyone that dont fall in line.
If they don't agree, they are a fool.
I can't subscribe to that.
Fall in line with what particularly? If you want to be an individual no one is stopping you. If you're imagining a conspiracy, meh.

Danddd

Who's trolling in a forum such as this with this "listening" nonsense? LOL major input from objective orientation....
Because 'listening' is not nonsense to many people. And even though you make a point, other people have an opinion that's just as valid. It's funny in the video @billyjoebob posted, the one SMSL DAC Amir's testing didn't do well was preferred by the engineer in the video. Measurements is only part of the story for a lot of audio hobbyists.

billyjoebob

Because 'listening' is not nonsense to many people. And even though you make a point, other people have an opinion that's just as valid. It's funny in the video @billyjoebob posted, the one SMSL DAC Amir's testing didn't do well was preferred by the engineer in the video. Measurements is only part of the story for a lot of audio hobbyists.
Thats all I was trying to point out.
Not that I'm with him, but there are other trains of thought out there.
Then the fried one gets personal.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Opinions are valid for what reason particularly without some basic ground rules let alone controls? It can be all over the place and usually is. Just not particularly interesting in the larger picture what someone's vague subjective experience/opinion is. Audio hobbyists mean those who incessantly shop for vague reasons?

Danddd

Thats all I was trying to point out.
Not that I'm with him, but there are other trains of thought out there.
Then the fried one gets personal.
Actually I thought the engineer in the video had a good point. There are people dumping their well measured by Amir audio gear because it doesn’t sound good to them.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So you’re down to name calling when you don’t agree with someone? LOL
When they can't come up with a particular reason, sure. Instead of name calling how about you get specific as to what the issues are particularly?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Understand the difference between "listening" and "peeking." The reason we use basic controls is that "peeking" gives results that often have nothing to do with actual sound, and the unlikely differences go away when evaluation is done purely by ear.

This is not a fringe belief, this is well-established basic sensory science; your brain lies to you when non-auditory cues are present (ditto other sensory evaluations, which is why, for example, serious taste and aroma evaluation is also done double blind). Basic controls are essential if you want to know the truth rather than enjoy stories.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
ONLY the people who 100% agree with the posted results on this site are the only people that can be trusted and the ENTIRE rest of the industry is wrong?
If the point is that the ENTIRE audio world is wrong and the 20 - 30 hardliners on this site are the only possible humans to have figured it out......

I know you're trying to make a point, but you know very well that's a non-existent absolute.

The people who pay tribute to the sonic virtues of DACs are not "the ENTIRE audio world". There's plenty of people in the industry who make products based on actual engineering and research, but they don't get much credit in the hobby, because they are no fun.

It's not about agreement or disagreement. If I have a daughter who believes in Santa-Claus, it's cute when she's 5 years old, but if she still believes in Santa when she's 25, and I insist on making her contemplate the possibility of Santa being a myth, that's not me "disagreeing" with her or disrespecting her "opinion".

this is one of those threads that has just gone off the rails, with nobody being able to contribute anything new. just repeating their previously held positions. :facepalm:

What "new" is there to contribute? We have literally seen it all before.

If you can't avoid repetition, why not let it be a repeating plea for mental alertness? What would the point being of "spicing it up" with nonsense?

flz

If you can't avoid repetition, why not let it be a repeating plea for mental alertness?
Because no matter how many times you plead, the other party won't become 'mentally alert'? I'm sure you know internet forums are very seldom about persuading or being persuaded. It's rather about seeking affirmation/confirmation of one's own views and attacking dissenting views. Such as this thread.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
images

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because 'listening' is not nonsense to many people.
No one has said that "listening is nonsense." Several people, including myself, have suggested that what you or anyone else claims based upon their casual listening should have no credibility as regards the components in the system they've listened to. (Rigorous, ABX comparison is an entirely different sort of listening, but it's difficult and expensive to do.)

If you believe that the Ares (or frankly any other DAC or amplifier) "sounds better" than some other component, that's fine; I'm happy for you. But there's no reason for anyone else to think that an unbiased listener would conclude the same thing. And your subjective opinions are irrelevant with respect to the science basis upon which this website has been developed. That's why I continue to wonder why you're here.

billyjoebob

No one has said that "listening is nonsense." Several people, including myself, have suggested that what you or anyone else claims based upon their casual listening should have no credibility as regards the components in the system they've listened to. (Rigorous, ABX comparison is an entirely different sort of listening, but it's difficult and expensive to do.)
I'm not beating you up, just using your quote....
This is often said "nobody is saying that" then in the next sentence, saying no credibility. I don't see much of a difference in the two.

I really like that you are one of the few that acknowledge the fact that a ABX is difficult and costly, and not really practical is most home listening environments, and for that reason alone "some" sort of user listing is gonna be required at some point to make decisions.

Top Bottom