• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips Ares II - is it really worth it?

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I always wonder & marvel how such profoundly technical rational scientifical objective minds claim that 99% of DACs sound the same, then some, many of them pay loads of money for the expensive ones...

I also always wonder & marvel how such profoundly subjective minds keep inventing strawmen and shifting burden of proofs.

Veri

Master Contributor
I always wonder & marvel how such profoundly technical rational scientifical objective minds claim that 99% of DACs sound the same, then some, many of them pay loads of money for the expensive ones...
More connections. Pride of ownership/latest DAC chip (I mean chips from 20 years ago weren't even that bad). Aesthetics. Or of course features, ADI-2 DAC can obviously do a lot more than most others, as an example.

Overseas

Major Contributor
More connections. Pride of ownership/latest DAC chip (I mean chips from 20 years ago weren't even that bad). Aesthetics. Or of course features, ADI-2 DAC can obviously do a lot more than most others, as an example.
You picked an example, it is not proof for all cases.

I value measurements. Then I choose the sound. Still, one camp is furious against the other. Funny, it is the 'rational' camp, hahahaaa.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

What is there to marvel about? Why are people not allowed to make informed choices?

Not buying the cheapest box doesn't mean people believe they are buying better sound.

raif71

Major Contributor
+1 vote for the Denafrips Ares 2 is definitely great bang for the buck. My DAC progression: Schiit Bifrost(for 1 year) Schiit Bifrost + Uber (for 3 years), Schiit Bifrost 2 (for 2 weeks), Denafrips Ares 2 (1+ years). I can't think of anything missing with the Ares 2 "sound" in my setup. It is complete to my ears. IMO, there is an incredible amount of snake oil and subjectivity in the audiophile business, which is revealing about psychoacoustics... For me the bottom line is you know you have found the audio setup you're looking for when you forget about the components (they accumulate dust!) and enjoy the music.
My setup:
Mac Mini ->Toslink->Denafrips Ares II->Creek Audio Destiny->Wharfedale Diamond 10.7
Hi, may I know why you spent only 2 weeks with the Bifrost 2 ?

Henry53

Here's my take. The Denafrips has a THD+N of 0.0006% vs a $65 DAC which has a THD+N of 0.005%(say). If your ears have the sensitivity to feel that difference then by all means go for the denafrips. Definitely try it in your system/room and see if it makes a difference.
As no one can hear the difference between 0.00006% and 0.005% THD then on that measure alone buy the cheapest if you happy with how it sounds. Unfortunately DAC's do actually sound different in differing systems.

Henry53

How different is the question? Any decent DAC nowadays should pass the test and you won't hear a difference between them.
They have different output volumes for a start? That certainly affects how they sound.

Henry53

That's why you listen volume matched.
If one DAC outputs 3.7 volt and the next DAC 5.2 volt it's no surprise that they sound different
In the case of Denafrips they also provide balanced outputs, these measure differently to unbalanced. Amplifiers however measure differently at different gain settings.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's why you listen volume matched.
If one DAC outputs 3.7 volt and the next DAC 5.2 volt it's no surprise that they sound different
Compare* volume matched. ;) This would be only useful for an AB listening and to isolate this factor.
In real life use, an higher output voltage is indeed an advantage, especially when driving power amps or active speakers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They have different output volumes for a start? That certainly affects how they sound.
I hoped you would take it as a given that I am aware of that and get to the meat and potatoes of the matter. Matched levels tests will result in no discernable difference between any decent quality DAC offerings today. :D

scruffy1

seeing i showed my ignorance earlier in this thread, in considering the denafrips, and was soundly discouraged (boom tish) from believing subjective assessment is basis for a system of stable scientific measurement (apologies to monty python)

anyway, i ultimately upgraded my khadas tone 1 to a topping e70 and confidently state i like it even more than the khadas

it demonstrably measures better per amir's investigations, and the ess "hump" is not present

i lack the equipment and leads and enthusiasm to try blind testing; it may all be psychoacoustic trickery, but it "sounds" better :)

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it demonstrably measures better per amir's investigations, and the ess "hump" is not present
I know the ESS hump often exists, but at the levels in which it shows up, I’d assert it is an inaudible difference between DACs outside of the test lab.

scruffy1

versus the khadas it seems to sound like a discernable step up

i like the 12v trigger and remote and bluetooth such that it is probably okay even if it doesn't produce better analogue - but i am an attentive listener even before the change, and there are frequencies coming forward that i hadn't been aware of previously, and the bass response seems to somehow make the notes very distinct

might be the filters (that i can't find in the menu) - or am i deluded by investment and expectation?

Henry53

I hoped you would take it as a given that I am aware of that and get to the meat and potatoes of the matter. Matched levels tests will result in no discernable difference between any decent quality DAC offerings today. :D
If the output levels from a DAC differs then the gain needed by the amplifier to drive speakers changes, so its not a one dimensional issue.

Top Bottom