• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips Ares II - is it really worth it?

Angsty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think the bigger issue here is when do measurements no longer matter? Can people really tell a 110 dB SINAD DAC from a 120 dB DAC? Outside of laboratory conditions, I seriously doubt it. So, when the measurable differences become tiny to irrelevant, I'd expect personal preference to become more dominant in component selection.

For instance, because I have a mostly Bryston system, I would prefer to have a Bryston BDA-3 to a Topping E30. But, I would greatly prefer to pay the E30 price. If the price differential were not an issue, I'd buy the BDA-3. I probably could not hear a difference in a blind, level-matched test, but I'd be happier with the Bryston on aesthetic grounds alone.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the bigger issue here is when do measurements no longer matter? Can people really tell a 110 dB SINAD DAC from a 120 dB DAC? Outside of laboratory conditions, I seriously doubt it. So, when the measurable differences become tiny to irrelevant, I'd expect personal preference to become more dominant in component selection.
SINAD not the only determinator of SQ but all else being equal I think you would have to be a trained listener to have any hope of differentiating between 110 and 120.

Regrettably a lot of audiophiles think they are trained listeners just because they spend so much time listening to the equipment trying to hear differences. In reality we are no more discerning than someone you pull in randomly off the street.

Top Bottom