• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Demagnitizing Vinyl?!!

BluesDaddy

I'm on a Turntable group on FB where this was posted. What am I missing?
turntable demag..JPG

Robh3606

Iron?? Always thought it was carbon black. Maybe confusing static electricity charging and attraction with magnetics??

Rob :)

Katji

Major Contributor
Just look at what the freaking idiot wrote.

D

Deleted member 31747

just listen to the music…be it vinyl or digital.

Byrdsmaniac

I came across this nonsense on the Steve Hoffman site years ago. I asked my daughter if she could devise an experiment to test if my hundreds of records were magnetized. She suspended a sewing needle from a wooden dowel that rested on top of the shelving unit holding about four hundred LPs with a ruler on the floor to measure any deflection of the needle from vertical as she slid the dowel back onto the shelf so that the needle got closer to the records. Even from less than an eight of an inch, there was no measurable deflection. Nor could a couple of dozen records out of their sleeves deflect a compass needle with the compass almost touching the LPs. She suggested we could buy a gauss meter, but at that point neither of us really cared anymore. She was eleven years old at the time. And anyway, if records contained iron particles, wouldn't they rust?

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Vinyl is,,,,um,,,,er,,,,,an Insulator material. Does a more dishonest and corrupted industry exist? The Audio industry from end to end makes Used Car Dealers look respectable.

OP
BluesDaddy

BluesDaddy

Iron?? Always thought it was carbon black. Maybe confusing static electricity charging and attraction with magnetics??

Rob :)
Yep, it is black through the addition of carbon. I asked him for a citation to support that there was iron in a "black dye" added to vinyl while providing a link to what black vinyl really consisted of. Crickets.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
We use to do it as a joke at the radio station a million years ago. (back when the engineer's would play the classical music) A host would come in with LP's for his show. We would grab the records and say lets demag these before the show (we had a real big tape demager) it only works once per host.

DSJR

Major Contributor
The pic in the OP is an LP12 turntable, so any old nonsense applies really :D

Some low slung MC cartridges used to attract filings to the bottom of the magnet which surrounds the cantilever on many designs. That's why the 'tape' was there to protect as much as possible. Also, I was told these filings were reported to come from stuff embedded in the vinyl from the stamper. No idea but I posit this from old experiences and stuff I was told...

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hmm, interesting. It is possible to test if the vinyl is indeed magnetised. But will need some highly sensitive equipment to do so.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I came across this nonsense on the Steve Hoffman site years ago. I asked my daughter if she could devise an experiment to test if my hundreds of records were magnetized. She suspended a sewing needle from a wooden dowel that rested on top of the shelving unit holding about four hundred LPs with a ruler on the floor to measure any deflection of the needle from vertical as she slid the dowel back onto the shelf so that the needle got closer to the records. Even from less than an eight of an inch, there was no measurable deflection. Nor could a couple of dozen records out of their sleeves deflect a compass needle with the compass almost touching the LPs. She suggested we could buy a gauss meter, but at that point neither of us really cared anymore. She was eleven years old at the time. And anyway, if records contained iron particles, wouldn't they rust?

I have to say your experiment will not work. We are talking about extremely weak magnetic fields (if any) and its not going to produce any measurable deflection on a needle.

I dont know if Vinyls contain any iron particles but its extremely small amount and likely in form of a compound.

Top Bottom