• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dell Optiplex 9010 i7 3.9GHz 8GB

Wombat

Master Contributor
I can get a used one at a good price. It would mainly be used for amateur photography and getting into audio and video streaming apps.

Does anyone have experience with these and are they noisy?

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I can get a used one at a good price. It would mainly be used for amateur photography and getting into audio and video streaming apps.

Noisy compared to what? A jet engine? Do we need measurements? You cannot be asking for subjective information, can you? o_O :confused: :oops:

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor

Third generation I7, pretty standard desktop, nothing wrong with it for a good price. Not necessary nosier than any other like system. Installing an ssd HD would be an overall improvement. You can use the spinning drive for storage.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Noisy compared to what? A jet engine? Do we need measurements? You cannot be asking for subjective information, can you? o_O :confused: :oops:

I mentioned it would be used for audio so noise level is a consideration.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Third generation I7, pretty standard desktop, nothing wrong with it for a good price. Not necessary nosier than any other like system. Installing an ssd HD would be an overall improvement. You can use the spinning drive for storage.

More helpful reply. Thank you.:)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
It's a business system, not all that quiet relatively speaking. Designed for reliability more than quiet. As a basic streamer it should be OK though you may end up replacing the front fan with a quieter one. If you get into Photoshop you may find you need more memory. There is a thread here on fanless computers you might check out, but that may not handle your photography programs. Can you check it out before you buy it? You may be able to do some fairly cheap mods (couple of fans, power supply) if needed.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
It's a business system, not all that quiet relatively speaking. Designed for reliability more than quiet. As a basic streamer it should be OK though you may end up replacing the front fan with a quieter one. If you get into Photoshop you may find you need more memory. There is a thread here on fanless computers you might check out, but that may not handle your photography programs. Can you check it out before you buy it? You may be able to do some fairly cheap mods (couple of fans, power supply) if needed.

No, I can't check it out unfortunately. I live in a remote rural area and mail-order is the norm. I use Lightroom. At the price some upgrades may be OK. I will look into it. Thanks. :)

Any general recommendations re budget(used) known-brand computers are welcome.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
I have been offered a used Desktop PC at a keen price. Fatality H97 Performance motherboard(i5, 3.5 GHz +8GHz DDR3 Ram) with onboard Purity 2 Audio processor - Realtek ALC 1150 7.1 audio codec. 115dB SNR, differential amplifier, TI NE5532 headset amp, capless direct drive, EMI shield cover, PCB isolate shielding and DTS connect, Nichicon audio capacitors.
Gigabyte GV A360 1GI Rev: 1.o video card.
Fans seem quiet. This could be my entry into digital PC audio.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/ALC1150-CG_DataSheet_1.0.pdf

Has anyone experience with Purity 2 audio? :confused:

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Sounds like a solid package. Give it a go and see what you think, especially if the price is right.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Top Bottom