• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Delivery time!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes something happens that illustrates how much the world has changed over 40 or 50 years.

When I was 17 I walked into town to a record store and ordered Pink Floyd's "The Wall". I can't remember how long I had to wait for it - maybe a few days, maybe a week.

Sometime over the years that copy has gone missing.

Last night at shortly after 10:00pm - from the comfort of my office I ordered it for the second time in my life - from Amazon.
It arrived 20 minutes ago - delivered to my door in about 11 hours, for most of which I was sleeping.

Unbelievable

thewall.jpeg

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking through my old magazines from the 1960s and 1970s, so many of the ads for mail-order products required ordering by sending off a coupon by post, enclosing a cheque or Postal Order, and stating 'Allow 28 days for delivery"

Now, they come overnight, charged automatically to my Credit Card.

Delayed Gratification is now minutes.

S.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Looking through my old magazines from the 1960s and 1970s, so many of the ads for mail-order products required ordering by sending off a coupon by post, enclosing a cheque or Postal Order, and stating 'Allow 28 days for delivery"

Now, they come overnight, charged automatically to my Credit Card.

Delayed Gratification is now minutes.

S.

I bought something used last night. Got a notification on my phone based on a search while I was out and about an hour from home. The object of interest was at the midpoint. Sent a message, got a reply en-route with address, voice recognition into the GPS, 35 minutes later after electronic funds transfer it was in my hands. As I was pulling up the the sellers house I was cognizant of how technology had enabled this occurrence right down to easily finding the house in the dark.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Last night at shortly after 10:00pm - from the comfort of my office I ordered it for the second time in my life - from Amazon.
It arrived 20 minutes ago - delivered to my door in about 11 hours, for most of which I was sleeping.
I don't have patience for that. Mostly, I buy downloads which are delivered almost immediately after I click "Buy." :cool:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I don't have patience for that. Mostly, I buy downloads which are delivered almost immediately after I click "Buy." :cool:
Tricky with vinyl. :)

I never bought into the Apple Music thing, whereby a lower bit rate download version of an album would often cost more than a physcial copy on CD plus postage. But I'm happy to buy CD quality, or higher, downloads from places like Bandcamp.

OP
antcollinet

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Those who like the vinyl sound could simply get a record full of "silence" (surely such a thing exists) and play that alongside digital files.
Way too much trouble. :p

Anyway - for me it is not about the sound (although there is nostalgia around that), but the emotional connection. The physical handling of, and caring for music. I have one precious album that originally belonged to my (late) Dad. Physically playing the same vinyl that he would have first played when I was a toddler brings a deep sense of him. It would be meaningless as a collection of files.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Played first time on a Thorens TD115 with a V15IV. Old times, i was a young audiophile. ;)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...and they even printed the album title on the cover this time! Apparently, something they did not have time for in 1979: :)

View attachment 157362

My brothers copy had a transparent PVC sticker with the title on it, so you could have the album with or without :)

*edit* if you look at the OPs post, it looks like it's still the same. Maybe you lost your sticker somewheres along the lines...

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you looked inside the record sleeve, did you find a printed coupon with a download link to your song?

OP
antcollinet

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have now -and there isn't one. But it was sold by Amazon with autorip.

Top Bottom