• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 Speaker Review

PBH

While I want my stereo to be the focus in my living space, the manufactures of products like this speaker are right IMHO, the masses do not want anything to do with large speakers. Vast quantities of people do want some decent sound from time to time but they will happily compromise a bit on the sound for something small or better yet invisible. None of these folks will notice or care if the sub and mid do not blend smoothly in the 100-150hrz region.

I'm surprised that wall mounted speakers like these Dali aren't more popular with the people you described. Mounting the TV on the wall and straddling it with two or three of these would make for an attractive setup. It'd be much easier to fit them into your decor than the sets you linked. Revel has some in black gloss.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not shure if that makes sense to me. Than i would use a closed box and the money for the passive i would use for a better driver. But iam not a expert and if you could explain this more in detail i would be happy.
Sorry, that was meant as fun only.. We will have to wait for manufacturers reply on this case here.. (another joke :rolleyes:)
Construction aside, Rooskie's post seems to shed more light on this market segment.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I'm surprised that wall mounted speakers like these Dali aren't more popular with the people you described. Mounting the TV on the wall and straddling it with two or three of these would make for an attractive setup. It'd be much easier to fit them into your decor than the sets you linked. Revel has some in black gloss.
I suppose it all depend on your home base. Here is the USA Dali is essentially completely unknown, no major retailers carry them and the average Joe type has never heard of them.
I agree that the Dali style is more stylish but in the end it will be a matter of tastes. Revel again is a hard one as awesome as most of their gear is they are not easy to find in the mainstream shops. I guess here at least, both these brands are likely to be sold in smaller volumes. No doubt if I wanted a wall mount set I would be looking at Revel or another great company.

Ultimately I linked those few sets because I thought they show that what is being purchased by many is not easy to swallow here.

One bright side is that such a set may be a gateway set, it might get someone off their soundbar and eventually lead them to be willing to upgrade to a better yet set of larger more accomplished gear once they get unto it. I mean my Gf used to use a Bose bluetooth and in the last 4 years has really become a gear nut full stop.
She always loved music, now she knows what she was missing and can never go back.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Back in the day, I fell for some sleek DefTech marketing and bought the smaller ProMonitor 800. They were my main L/R home theater speakers in a small living room. Not very good, to put it politely. I replaced them with Dayton MK402X - much happier.

Tips

Well, someone told me that Def Tech is shit these days.

When I asked him he mentioned that something called Power Monitor PM900 is the best bookshelf speaker he has ever heard in his life with massive 10'' bass woffer (in a bookshelf!) and amazing bass depth

gfx_1

Check out this Focal set for nearly $4k. Really??
Yes, I always thinks you can get some proper speakers for that amount of money.
They have to stand somewhere so size can't really a problem a couple of inches extra.
My floorstanders are big enough for a lamp, the telephone, a plant or a cat and the livingroom is tiny.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Finally! A low scoring speaker I actually hate!

These are expensive HITB speakers. I don't think they've ever been marketed as more.

They are 100% intended to be used with a subwoofer.

seedragon

Forum Donor
I own a set of 4 of these speakers and have used them for 13 years. I can confirm that they just plain sound weird. They sound hollow. I'm planning to replace them with Revel S16 or M16 for surround duties in a week or. I replaced them in the front with Legacy Audio Silhouettes.

Doctors11

As an aside, I bought the Revel M8 in that package a while back. Will test it at some point. :)
I just saw this and am very much looking forward to this review. In general I have been trying to find a 5.1 music set up for my small office built around a desktop. Any suggestions would be welcome and I hope to see some smaller passive speakers tested that might work well in this environment.
Thanks.

Top Bottom